SouthPark: Insheeption

Epilepsy

Sep 16, 2010
Want to clear this up now, I saw insheeption and i loved it, but this argument needs context.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/south-park-creators-apologize-for-borrowing-from-c,46720/

In that apology, the south park creators admit they haven't actually seen inception. Which is why they turned to the web and borrowed some from college humour. Naturally enough, they thought it had a convoluted plot, since they didn't actually KNOW the plot first hand, just from osmosis alone. Like OP i assume.

Inception is awesome, let no-one tell you otherwise.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
mcx said:
Stuff that Nolan has ripped off:

The Matrix
Paprika
The Exorcist II
The Exorcist III
On Her Majesty's Secret Service and James Bond in general
That Don Rosa comic
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
Vertigo
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Cell
May I throw in Dark City, DreamScape and to a smaller extent Total Recall.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Honestly I haven't seen the South Park episode because I cannot access South Park anymore. But still, I have to disagree with the idea that Inception is too complicated and for that matter, too unoriginal. I can't think of many other movies that are about the complexities of implanting an idea into someone's head or turning the subconcious world into a percieved reality via dreams.
Plus, it was quite easy to follow, as someone else said Ellen Page's character basically acted as the voice of the audience, asking questions about how everything works and then figuring it out. After that, it's just an action heavy plot with a few clever twists and turns and interesting plot devices.
If you ask me, it was a damned good movie.

I also think that Avatar, the other big movie South Park famously ripped on was quite good. Truth be told I am rather sick of seeing them spoofing big movies like this, true it's all in the name of being funny but at the same time it amounts to a fair bit of hate for the subject matter being spread.

Still, that's just me.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I loved the movie and the episode, it was a great play on the film. "...Or maybe that was your therapy?"

mcx

Jan 5, 2009
Ubermetalhed said:
mcx said:

The Matrix
Paprika
The Exorcist II
The Exorcist III
That Don Rosa comic
Vertigo
The Cell
May I throw in Dark City, DreamScape and to a smaller extent Total Recall.
Yes, I think people who go on about how original Inception is hasn't seen enough movies.

TheAmerikahn

Aug 24, 2010
you're an idiot, inception was a great movie and a hell of a lot more original than most other movies this year.

Clearly both the movie and south park is to intelligent for you to understand it. I bet you think Zero Punctuation hates every video game he reviews too.

Newbonomicon

Oct 21, 2010
TheAmerikahn said:
you're an idiot, inception was a great movie and a hell of a lot more original than most other movies this year.

Clearly both the movie and south park is to intelligent for you to understand it. I bet you think Zero Punctuation hates every video game he reviews too.
I think Zero Punctuation is a pretty cool guy. Eh reviews games and doesn't afraid of anything.

Mandal0re

Oct 18, 2008
I really enjoyed Inception. Didnt think the latest SP was great, not as bad as the Jersey episode but not that good.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
TheAmerikahn said:

And clearly we should remember that the South Park review was gospel truth instead of a lambasting for lulz, correct?

I like Inception too, but seeing it get made fun of is still hilarious.

Back to the OT -

"Somebody order a pizza?"

"It must have been one of them in the dream world!"

"I'm going in."

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
Socken said:
I thought Inception was great. Sure there's pretty much no message or significant depth to the movie, but the plot was interesting and the acting and everything were very well done.

I wouldn't really call it unoriginal either, I can't think of any movie that's anywhere like it.
IDK I though it was hitting on the philosophical topic of "I think there for I am"

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
mcx said:

The Matrix
Paprika
The Exorcist II
The Exorcist III
That Don Rosa comic
Vertigo
The Cell
Paprika Rip-off Open your Eyes
Im not sure about the others but I'm sure if you look up alot of them you can find something.

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
I must say it EXACTLY sums up the feeling I got when watching the movie. Most scenes are so ridiculously serious, it's laughable.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
South Park is really hit or miss these days. I loved Insheeption, but I HATED Its A Jersey Thing (Except for the ending, the Al Qaeda "We got'im!" thing was actually really hilarious).

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I can't stand South Park. I dislike them almost as much as the tsunami of South Park threads they inspire.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Looks like they are grasping at straws again.
Oh well. This is why I stopped bothering with South Park like, 8 years ago.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
That was indeed a funny episode. And to all those feeling irked because they bashed Inception? Pffft, that's like being mad at the sun for being bright. South Park targets anything and everything, with mostly no offense met. That said, there is no end to how screwed up Mr. Mackey is, is there? (And is it me or is DiCaprio creepy these days?)

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
Woodsey said:
What's unoriginal about Inception, or complex for that matter? The film makes expert use of Ariadne (where the hell did Nolan get that name from though?!) as the audience's voice during the film so that everything is explained.
Ariadne helped Theseus out of the Labyrinth in Greek mythology.

So I suspect there.

Yeah I quite liked the film, but it wasn't really complex.

EDIT:
Zeeky_Santos said:
Woodsey said:
What's unoriginal about Inception, or complex for that matter? The film makes expert use of Ariadne (where the hell did Nolan get that name from though?!) as the audience's voice during the film so that everything is explained.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariadne

I'd say the connection is that she helped Cobb (Theseus) escape the labyrinth of his mind.

... Damn you. How could someone else get this.

the Dept of Science

Nov 9, 2009
I would suggest everyone watches this as well:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1939332

Some of the lines in the episode are taken directly from that video, which came out within a couple of weeks of the movie.

All I'm going to say is that I hope this doesn't become another Dances with Smurfs thing, where tonnes of people just parrot South Park and start hating on something they initially enjoyed.
Inception was a good movie. However, I don't think any movies are immune from parody, so I don't think any massive Inception fans should take this too personally. Just think about Family Guy doing Star Wars.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
I loved the film and the episode, I thought the film was original and highly complex (but somehow managed to follow it), the episode was a good little dig at it, and right in saying just because something is overly complicated doesn't make it cool.

Stans father still, he's just insane