Southpark, the RPG

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
THQ and Obsidian have finally decided to release their project too the world. Remember when Obsidian said that they were working on a project that was about a TV Program? This is it.

Thoughts?

Here is a link with more details. It will release the second half of 2012.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/12/01/southpark-rpg/

EDIT: Should also like to add that Matt Stone and Trey Parker are the Head Writers for this game.

jthwilliams

Sep 10, 2009
It could be fun to play and funny, but I doubt it will be a game of the year worthy. The southpark theme and style, while fun doesn't lend itself to RPG in any real in universe since so all the RPG features will be non canon, jumbled in, add-ons.

*EDIT*

Not everything needs to be game of the year either. I still enjoy 3/5 games even if I won't keep them forever and play them again and again.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
I'd play it. I guess. I like south park so logically I should like this.

Logically, I said. Doesn't mean it will turn out right.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
I'd play it. I'm actually more worried about it being developed by Obsidian than I am about it being based on South Park. :p

Lerasai

Aug 14, 2010
*makes grabby hands at* I love South Park and I love RPGs, so sue me for not being cynical about this. I just want it to be good and even if it's terrible I'm sure I'll get at least some entertainment from it.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Hate South Park and hate RPGs. I therefore preemptively declare this to be the worst game ever made.

(Disclaimer: I love RPGs, but hate South Park enough to corrupt that love.)

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Well, the South Park fps was awesome....when I was 11. Obvious changes in personal taste since then aside, I look forward to this game. I adore South Park, and Oblivion made New Vegas, which was awesome. High hopes are high.

EzraPound

Jan 26, 2008
Fluffythepoo said:
The south park fps was awesome enough to remake, but this is just silly
Except for the fact it was a shitty Turok mod that unashamedly recycled levels and that featured zero ingenuity in terms of design.

And yeah, I'm psyched. Basing an RPG on South Park will provide a great body of material rather than the shopworn fantasy/sci-fi tropes, and given that Obsidian are the descendants of Black Isle I'm not exactly concerned that the game will be humdrum.

EzraPound

Jan 26, 2008
Jove said:
I don't like the fact that Obsidian is doing this and THQ being the publisher, but I'll remain optimistic.
Obsidian=Black Isle. In case you weren't aware, they're arguably the best most accomplished WRPG studio ever (though I'm inclined to defer to Origin, for Ultima), with the twin peaks of Fallout and Planescape: Torment probably eclipsing anything by BioWare or Bethesda--though Morrowind was pretty great.

Who would you get? God himself?

EzraPound

Jan 26, 2008
darkman80723 said:
Crap obsidian is doing this? Its going to crash like every 5 mins =(
Hopefully it will have funny error messages.

But seriously, I would lul if BioWare announced they were making a Simpsons RPG.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
jthwilliams said:
The South Park theme and style, while fun doesn't lend itself to RPG
I dunno, it could be like a more adult version of Earthbound, that game was considered pretty good. They could have fairly similar basic premises after all, a bunch of kids go on an adventure through a fantastic version of modern America.

jthwilliams

Sep 10, 2009
New Frontiersman said:
jthwilliams said:
I dunno, it could be like a more adult version of Earthbound, that game was considered pretty good. They could have fairly similar basic premises after all, a bunch of kids go on an adventure through a fantastic version of modern America.
So I'm not saying you couldn't make a RPG out of it. But the stories of Southpark aren't RPG like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_video_game

You could shoehorn them in through.

Exploration and Quests
* at no point in the show are they sent on quests or explore new areas or at least it is not the usual format

Items and inventory
* every now and thing a character will have a special item but not often. They aren't really known for object based plot lines (with a few exception). They don't have any history of potion making or simular or crafting or others a item focus.

Characts actions and abilities
* No character really has a special ability. You could make some that sort of go to the theme of the character but you'd be making them not getting them from the canon and they would not be canon for the show

Experience and levels
* I can't think of anything in the show that is a natural of this. You could again shoehorn something in maybe based on grade level since they have often had a 4th graders 5th graders etc, and the school theme lends to levels based on grades, but it isn't a major theme from the show

Combat
* There are a few examples of combat in the show,but it is gernally something special not part of the central theme. They do frequently use insults so you could create a word based combat system that would at least the thematically consistant.

So when it comes down to it, You are making a generic RPG that just so happens to use the southpark characters and locations. You could make almost the exact same game and have it make as much since using the characters and settings from any TV show.

Compare that to Dragon Ball Z which very easily lends itself to be RPG. It has fighting and levels and quest as a central part of the show.

darkman80723

Jul 1, 2009
EzraPound said:
darkman80723 said:
Crap obsidian is doing this? Its going to crash like every 5 mins =(
Hopefully it will have funny error messages.

But seriously, I would lul if BioWare announced they were making a Simpsons RPG.
Oh man I agree totally, though for me Id like an open world Adult Swim game. And I really really really hope Im wrong, but...the past dictates Id better not be that optimistic.

DannyJBeckett

Jun 29, 2011
Considering Parker and Stone are writing it, overseeing development and doing the appropriate voicovers, I expect it to delve into new lows of depravity, violence, and other debauchery...

...and I would buy it on Day 1.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
jthwilliams said:
New Frontiersman said:
jthwilliams said:
So I'm not saying you couldn't make a RPG out of it. But the stories of Southpark aren't RPG like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_video_game

You could shoehorn them in through.

Exploration and Quests
* at no point in the show are they sent on quests or explore new areas or at least it is not the usual format

Items and inventory
* every now and thing a character will have a special item but not often. They aren't really known for object based plot lines (with a few exception). They don't have any history of potion making or simular or crafting or others a item focus.

Characts actions and abilities
* No character really has a special ability. You could make some that sort of go to the theme of the character but you'd be making them not getting them from the canon and they would not be canon for the show

Experience and levels
* I can't think of anything in the show that is a natural of this. You could again shoehorn something in maybe based on grade level since they have often had a 4th graders 5th graders etc, and the school theme lends to levels based on grades, but it isn't a major theme from the show

Combat
* There are a few examples of combat in the show,but it is gernally something special not part of the central theme. They do frequently use insults so you could create a word based combat system that would at least the thematically consistant.

So when it comes down to it, You are making a generic RPG that just so happens to use the southpark characters and locations. You could make almost the exact same game and have it make as much since using the characters and settings from any TV show.

Compare that to Dragon Ball Z which very easily lends itself to be RPG. It has fighting and levels and quest as a central part of the show.
As a Dialogue, it lends itself as an RPG beautifully. Exploration wise you can find yourself going to past area's, also finding yourself in possible areas such as Heaven or Hell dependant upon which type of 'Morals' you chose. I would imagine this game to be dialogue heavy, so combat may be out of the window, but don't quote me on that. Actions and Abilities would fall under both Combat and Dialogue, so it is impossible to say exactly how they will use them. Experience and Levels, again, with how they use them.

It's purely dependent on how they choose to make this game. Will it be Combat Based, or Dialogue Based? I'm all for dialogue, in fact I am excited to see how that will play out, because I would rather play that than fight all the time with cardboard cutouts.

Last Hugh Alive

Jul 6, 2011
I'll buy this the day it comes out. Even if the game turns out bad I'm sure I'll get enough humour out of it. I'm also a supporter of strange concepts and ideas, and by the sounds of things nobody saw this coming at all.