Sovngarde Song

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Great story. Compelling, and rich.

Love your dedication to the music (and our continued entertainment!)

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
Hey Gav, small question.
What are your thoughts on random people on the internet doing covers of your songs? And possibly posting them on YouTube in response to the original (once said original reaches YouTube)?

Herrsunk

Apr 2, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
-You have got to make a song with Malukah, the dragonborn girl. Please. Please.

*Way ahead of you there ;) We're working on something right now.
Yes. That right there? Right in my ears. Fantastic!

Keep working your lyrical music-butt off Gavin - your songs are always a highlight on Wednesdays and has given someone like me (no favourite genre or band) a plethora of songs that I can always listen to, regardless of mood or game! Your album is worth the money :D

phoenixbeast

Apr 14, 2009
Few things to say..

1. Your music was probably the only thing that kept me sane on two 10 hour car trips. Seriously, if it wasn't for songs that I could constantly (attempt to and fail miserably at) sing along with, I don't know what I would have done.

2. In said car trip I introduced a friend to your music. He was absolutely floored by the versatility you put into your songs and leave them all sounding natural for you to be singing. (His favorites went 3.Redemption Blues 2.Sweet L.A. 1.Sovangarde Song)

3. Can't wait to hear what you can put out with Kontact now. I had to use that program for a course at college, and even with what little I know of it, it leaves me very excited for whats to come!

So all in all, Keep up the amazing work and I'll be listening for as long as you keep creating!

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
I love this song. I didn't know about the long version till now, which is also awesome.

Its also really cool (although unsuprising really) to find out you're a Devin Townsend fan \m/

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
CounterAttack said:
Hey Gav, small question.
What are your thoughts on random people on the internet doing covers of your songs? And possibly posting them on YouTube in response to the original (once said original reaches YouTube)?
I'm all for it, in fact I've plugged a few of them, like this one:

and this one:

I just ask that people don't monetise them without giving me a share, and if they simply steal my version and re-upload it I ask them politely to take it down, then if they refuse I get it ripped down and they get a nice little copyright strike, lol

But yeah, I love seeing cover versions of my stuff :)

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
I'm all for it, in fact I've plugged a few of them, like this one:

-videosnip-

I just ask that people don't monetise them without giving me a share, and if they simply steal my version and re-upload it I ask them politely to take it down, then if they refuse I get it ripped down and they get a nice little copyright strike, lol

But yeah, I love seeing cover versions of my stuff :)
Sweet. I don't know how my singing voice is going to turn out when recorded - nor do I really know much about uploading to YouTube - but I might give it a shot.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I'm surprised that people think they can steal your songs and upload them to YouTube and still think they can get away with it :/
That personally is what makes me angry at the "fans" of you and others like you. There will always be people who don't like your work and there will be those who think they can make it better. But people who try and steal your work to make themselves look good at your expense make me so angry!

Oh well, so long as you win over them in the end! Keep up the awesome work!

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
I'm always rather surprised with some of the criticisms you get. You know, stuff like you don't vary your style enough. I mean, -sure- there's an underlying style, and it's always your vocals which can't help but add similarity from song to song, but seriously? Most of your songs are pretty damn different. I'm also very much looking forward to hearing your piece with Malukah. ;D Looking forward to it!

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
sindremaster said:
You should make an album with all 33 versions of Sovengarde Song, I'd buy the hell out of it.
Agreed! I'd love to hear the progression of the song from start to finish!

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I had to stop and laugh for a bit when i read that about how you should "change up your style" more, it's as if the person hadn't listened to your library at all >_>

And that think about sexism... geez. I don't think there's neither a face nor palm big enough to express how i felt about that. That's really a pretty big part of why i don't usually look through comment sections on youtube... they still feel too safe in expressing their bull shit. "Sons of the snow" seems like a perfectly fine way to say it unless you're one of those feminist nuts... I never heard this sort of commotion when Phil Collins did "Son of man".

As for heavy metal in the medieval times i really don't see anything wrong with it. Like you said it reflects the barbaric tone of their lives pretty well, and it's not like any music produced today to sound like it did back then would be 100% accurate anyways. If you wanted that you'd do a live-performance unplugged with a lute or something <_<

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Spacewolf said:
I was just wondering how different it is to be presumably working for the escapist rather than yourself, do you get deadlines or do you get to work at your own pace?
I set the pace myself but if I want to eat, I need to make a song every two weeks :D

My relationship with the Escapist is very good... they're very open minded and never try to push me in a particular direction with the songs or anything like that. I choose every song I make/do myself and how often I do it!

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
jurnag12 said:
"Deconstruction by Devin Townsend"
*/cheers* More people oughta know about Townsend!
Cheeseburger...Cheeseburger... the word has lost all meaning. That song is on my playlist of songs to spontaneously combust by.

As someone who grew up a fan of Maiden, Gabriel, and a bunch of other stuff, I love how SovSong went from lulling to thrashing. Supper's Ready is one of my all time favorite song and in it's 20 min runtime (the live versions are usually longer...costume changes and such) it must go back and forth like that 12 times or so.

But even though I love MoS's style, I am curious and want him to make an Indonesian Jegog style song...I just can't figure out how he can play all those xylophones at once.
I kid.

A question I would like to see MoS answer in future "encores"
Do you have any ideas for good music based games? My Rockband instruments haven't gotten much use lately.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
Your comments on "Sovngarde Song"'s electric guitars, fus ro dah, and sexism.
You know, after listening to the extended version, I'm getting a Blind Guardian vibe off of this, and I rather love it.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
MiracleOfSound said:
Spacewolf said:
I was just wondering how different it is to be presumably working for the escapist rather than yourself, do you get deadlines or do you get to work at your own pace?
I set the pace myself but if I want to eat, I need to make a song every two weeks :D

My relationship with the Escapist is very good... they're very open minded and never try to push me in a particular direction with the songs or anything like that. I choose every song I make/do myself and how often I do it!
There must be polka.