Space Invaders Bomb World Trade Center

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Malygris post=7.69102.652480 said:
But when I read what the artist had to say about it and gave the thing some thought myself, I started to see what he was going for. And it makes sense.
I fail to see how it does, or how it's supposed to be formulated intelligently.
Is it just about pointing fingers as to how people react about anything associated to 9/11?

What's the message here? Thus far, I'm only seeing a thing that seems rather terribly superficial without any useful message, no matter the convoluted underlying meaning you want to attach to this.
His own "explanation" tells me nothing about his opinion and intent. But attention he does get.

After his take on Invaders, I can't wait to see how he's going to use Defender.
I think it's a waste of time.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Eggo post=7.69102.654546 said:
In light of wildly popular game series like Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Medal of Honor, why is this so horrible exactly?
Because it's freshhhh! ;)
Or possibly because a large fraction of the planet doesn't seem to give a shit about 9/11.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Eggo post=7.69102.654577 said:
And let's not forget, a American civilian's life is far far more valuable than the life of a foreign Muslim civilian.
You got that right ;O

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
I get some of the symbolism of the piece, and I can't say it's a bad idea. I'm not really inspired by it, either. Many gamers instantly recognize Space Invaders as an exercise in futility. You can't survive forever. One facet of the message here is that preventing all "terrorism" is a ridiculous idea. Ultimately I don't see the art piece as being all that much deeper than, say, Missile Command.

Still...

Ed Halter describes several video-game-themed art pieces in his book From Sun Tzu to Xbox: War and Video Games. The WTC/Space-Invaders piece is hands-down better than all of them. Of course, it's competing with stuff like a picture of a Mig next to some Mario clouds.

-- Alex

Human Bomb

Sep 29, 2007
After watching some video of this installation?

Way more understanding and appreciation for what he's done here, even if I don't agree with all of it.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
People should get over 9/11 already. There is stuff happening all the time that is equal or worse than what happened there.
It's okay for people to have fun playing the battle of normandie in CoD or Medal Of Honor but a game like this is tasteless? Take a closer look at the games you're playing all the time.