Space Invaders

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Space Invaders

The world is scary, your house is your castle, stay there as much as possible, buy more stuff to occupy your time there. The incursion into The Home by evil has become the great modern anxiety of the age, and has remained ever since.

Read Full Article

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
I have no desire to actually sit through YOU'RE NEXT so I wish you had gone ahead and spoiled it.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I was kind of hoping for a more thorough examination of the 50s fascination with the home and the development of the home invasion subgenre, particularly how it has evolved over the years and what it means for us today. However, I suppose another list of obscure movies I'll probably never see will suffice for now. I'm sure someone will go out and watch them all, but I've got better things, er, different things to do with my time.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
MovieBob said:
Stories about the need to protect one's home have likely existed as long as human beings have had homes
The medieval Scots ballad "Get Up and Bar the Door" dates back to, at least, the late 1700's. So, yeah.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Turns out the home invaders are sadistic contract killers who are paid by one of the "victims" in order to eliminate those with a stake in the estate as well as settle some old grudges.

I've been watching way too much Detective Conan...

OT: I remember seeing a play put on by my university acting troupe about a home invasion where two robbers enter an apartment in the 1950s while the husband is out and the blind wife is left in the home. They think that they have tricked her into believing they are her husband's friends, but she catches on quickly and makes a plan to take them out. It started off lighthearted by took a real dark turn in the third act and still is the only time I've jumped in my seat at a stage play.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I see from the first page Bob's letting his liberal guilt out. What's funny is I read the Bold print in the voice of some pleasant-sounding narration from an old commercial, and the italic print in a electronically-altered voiceover from some hacker interrupting the signal of the aforementioned commercial. Finally, some good uses for the voices in my head. I wish the voices I hear in my knees were as helpful.

OT: Wasn't The Purge a home invasion movie? I just rewatched bob's review of that, and he HATED it.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Michael Haineke would like to have a little word with you Bob. Heh, that would be awesome wouldn't it? Funny Games (both of them) is the Unforgiven of home invasion movies.

Jan 9, 2012
This explains why so many people fear home invasions and keep loaded guns under their beds and what not. I had no idea this was a genre (or sub-genre, or whatever.)

abell

Jan 7, 2013
Sometimes a cigar's just a cigar, Bob. Or, to put it another way, Occam's Razor tells us that it's far more likely that the post war generation got married and had a bunch of kids because they'd just been through a depression and a pretty miserable war and wanted to enjoy themselves, than some capitalist marketing cabal manipulated an entire generation into creating the suburbs. That's less historical revisionism, and more paranoid delusion.

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
So what about Home Alone?

I'd love to see a grim reboot depicting the harsh struggle of the Wet Bandit gang trying to pay off a loan to a mob boss by robbing a seemingly hapless family they know is on a vacation in Dubai... only to fall prey to the Sadistic Kevin's traps, who was not so accidentally left at home. Complete with a dower showdown between the Wet Bandit gang and the disenfranchised Old Man Marley, who also struggles with a drug addiction.

Bah. Maybe I should just read more Cracked articles.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Good to see some love for People Under The Stairs. Still one of my favourite horror/thriller movies of all time, and in my opinion one of Cravens best films. Maybe not most enjoyable, but probably best made in my opinion.

That being said, i'm on a tangent now, and i remember seeing Red Eye in the cinema a few moons ago (not a home invasion film, a Craven film) and the sheer tension that was created by the atmosphere was amazing, and showed Wes still had some vision and talent in there somewhere.

Towels said:

I'd love to see a grim reboot depicting the harsh struggle of the Wet Bandit gang trying to pay off a loan to a mob boss by robbing a seemingly hapless family they know is on a vacation in Dubai... only to fall prey to the Sadistic Kevin's traps, who was not so accidentally left at home. Complete with a dower showdown between the Wet Bandit gang and the disenfranchised Old Man Marley, who also struggles with a drug addiction.

That i would like to see actually lol. Could be a quite interesting film,, perhaps something Eli Roth should take a stab at... or maybe Whedon.

hexFrank202

Mar 21, 2010
Hey Bob, maybe some people like socializing and having neighbors, but DON'T like being piled up in a city. Obviously politics affects everything in the world, but I think the main thing that makes suburbia popular is that people genuinely like living in it.

Personally, me and MY family are rural and detests the idea of having another house within sight of our driveway. But I sstill understand other peoples' lifestyle tastes.

spwatkins

Nov 11, 2009
WWmelb said:
Good to see some love for People Under The Stairs. Still one of my favourite horror/thriller movies of all time, and in my opinion one of Cravens best films. Maybe not most enjoyable, but probably best made in my opinion.

That being said, i'm on a tangent now, and i remember seeing Red Eye in the cinema a few moons ago (not a home invasion film, a Craven film) and the sheer tension that was created by the atmosphere was amazing, and showed Wes still had some vision and talent in there somewhere.

Towels said:

That i would like to see actually lol. Could be a quite interesting film,, perhaps something Eli Roth should take a stab at... or maybe Whedon.
The first person that came to mind was James Gunn, who directed Super. He would provide the absurdly over the top violence that this kind of reboot requires.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
spwatkins said:
WWmelb said:

Towels said:

The first person that came to mind was James Gunn, who directed Super. He would provide the absurdly over the top violence that this kind of reboot requires.
Yeah James Gunn would be a good choice for this kind of project. Would certainly have the dark realism for some extra disturbingness.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
No love for Key Largo? Granted, it's a hotel instead of a house, but it's more like a bed and breakfast (with the owners living there and everything).

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Huh, you'd actually recommend You're Next? I'm just amazed that anyone could make a film like that unironically after Cabin in the Woods. Unless the trailer is incredibly misleading, it looks like one of the most generic slasher films ever made.