Space-Mining Company Prepares for Launch

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
NASA wants to mine the close-to-earth asteroids. Private companies making efford to find resources in space.

YEAHAA the space age i dreamed about is finally coming aruond. and ill get to see it.

Am I'm only one concerned here?
Asteroid belt of solar system serves as a shield for Earth
Mining them would be risky
Not really. as far as comets and fly-bys go, such huge bodies as saturn or jupiter with their gravitational pull serves as a much better shield. as far as gas clouds and radiation goes, asteroid belt does not affect it, the sun radiation cloud behind planets does.
The real danger here is mass. if we start bringing asteroids to earth we will increase its mass, therefore sun will pull us more. if we bring in enough mass, we may end up stearing our planet towards the sun. slowly. then again there are many asteroids burnign into our atmosphere each year, and they dont seem to affect it.

Don't mean to sound stupid, but how on earth is that running low...surely if worse comes to worse they could just purify seawater, removing the salt and making it safe to drink? :S
if the consumption trends continue, the drinable water will run out in 50 years around. purifying sea water at such high amounts as we consume would take enormous efforts.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
You know what, hats off to these guys for taking the first steps.

They are taking a huge risk by investing in spaceships,and failure could cost them billions of dollars.

But someone has to be willing to do this. If they prove that such a thing is feasible it will inspire others to do the same, negating fears of a dystopian future run by a mega corporation, and will also indirectly cause the formation of other companies dedicated to improving all aspects of space travel and mining.

With so many hands working on one thing it will only be a matter of time until Faster Than Light travel is figured out and the real fun can begin.