Space Opera Anime

Shrouded In Myth

Jun 19, 2013
Legend of Galactic heroes is the definite space opera anime.
It is an intellectual anime, not because of some convoluted plot or esoteric topic, but because of the sense of scale and the amount of detail packed into it. It always assumes you understand what's going on and doesn't hold your hand.

Start out with the prequel movie My Conquest is the Sea of Stars and then Overture to a New War (which is a cinematic retelling of the first two episodes) to see if it catches your interest. If it does then you can either skip the first two episodes or watch them for the sake of completion. Be warned that the first season has a couple of problems with pacing and animation. But stick through it and you will be rewarded with one of the greatest anime productions of all time.

Mark Kennedy

Nov 27, 2013
OK Like seresly no one thinked of mentioning Space Brothers Anime ? OMG ITS DE BEST I WANT MORE ANIME LIKE IT TO WATCH and best thing about space brothers that it has now 83+ episodes ongoing :)

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Seracen said:
Scifi is so rarely done well in anime (trending towards rom-com and dramedies).

Still, some good generic scifi: Armitage, Birdy, Pychopass, Redline, Parasite Dolls, Bubblegum Crisis, Kiddy Grade, Soul Link, Code Geass, Jyu Oh Sei

Spacier fare (dunno about "opera"): Tenchi GXP, Banner of the Stars, Captain Tylor, Glass Fleet, Heroic Age, Nadesico, Vandread, Gundam (I like Wing, 0083, 8th MS Team, X, and Seed), and Macross (some of the newer fare, although Plus is also good).

You mileage may vary, I liked most of these.

EDIT: http://www.anime-planet.com/tags/outer-space/anime
I second banner of the stars. loved that anime and the relationship between the two main characters. thought that was pretty great.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Most of Matsumoto's work fits the bill, with Space Captain Harlock being the prime example.

His job is really seminal to the genre, and some series like Spaceship Yamato and Gun Frontier have aged quite well...