Spammers/Campers

MrAkuma201

Oct 28, 2009
OK every time I play a game online I see or take on Spammers/Campers. I don't spam or camp so why are there people that like F! the game up for others playing online?

(Feel free to name and shame some of the Spammers/Campers in this topic.)

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Well camping is a valid tactic if done right . If you spawn camping thats terrible . If your a sniper and you found a great hiding place thats okay , at least in my book . It's true that playing against a team of snipers is boring . But ( and this is especially true for teamplay) there is nothing wrong with 1 or 2 guys supporting their team by stayin back , staying hidden and picking some guys off while the otheres rush the objective . It's more strategic that way . But those are in ideal situations .

As for spammers , well , they can burn in two fires .

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Wait, is a "spammer" the same as a "camper"? I genuinely hear this slang for the first time. Then again, I don't play too much FPS. Where does it come from?

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
You seem to be under the misguided impression that other people care if others around them are enjoying their game.

They do it because it's fun for them ... and to annoy people.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Camping spawn points is just dirty. Camping otherwise is perfectly valid in my opinion. But no matter what and who you play everyone will have a different opinion on exactly what is fair/fun to do.

Never understood people who talk up the "realistic" side of some shooters and then moan when the snipers sit in a sniping spot picking them off as they continually pick the exact same route across the map.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
What do you mean by spammers? Are you talking about shooters there?

As for campers? Yeah it can be annoying, especially spawn camping.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
Hazy992 said:
You know, I asked the same thing and I'm getting more and more confused now. The only definition, aside from the obvious, I could find is this.

spammer

When a person playing WoW or SSB uses one attack over and over to avoid being killed or to kill someone again and again even after they come back.

Kirby: fly fly fly
Captain Falcon: GAAAHHH!! STUPID SPAMMER!!
Kirby: punch punch punch punch punch!!
(from Urban Dictionary)

Can anybody tell me is that it? Is TC talking about that? I don't know for real.

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
DoPo said:
Hazy992 said:
You know, I asked the same thing and I'm getting more and more confused now. The only definition, aside from the obvious, I could find is this.

spammer

When a person playing WoW or SSB uses one attack over and over to avoid being killed or to kill someone again and again even after they come back.

(from Urban Dictionary)

Can anybody tell me is that it? Is TC talking about that? I don't know for real.
When someone says 'spamming' I automatically think of Street Fighter. 'He keeps spamming fireballs!'

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
Hazy992 said:
DoPo said:
Hazy992 said:

spammer

(from Urban Dictionary)

When someone says 'spamming' I automatically think of Street Fighter. 'He keeps spamming fireballs!'

Basically it means firing grenade launchers over and over instead of using guns. Keeps the opposing team from even having a chance in hell of coming back.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
Hazy992 said:
Yes, either that, or some game with magic where you can spam magic missile or something (so, low cooldown time). Or, of course, the other two gaming definitions I know - actual spammers who send you spam and flooders.

That's why I'm so confused about these spammers - they are connected to campers.

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
Hazy992 said:
DoPo said:
Hazy992 said:

spammer

(from Urban Dictionary)

Basically it means firing grenade launchers over and over instead of using guns. Keeps the opposing team from even having a chance in hell of coming back.
I thought that was 'noob tubing'? My head hurts >_<

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Don't hate the player, hate the game. If a shooter rewards spamming/camping more than the playstyle it's designed around, that's an indication the shooter isn't designed very well.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
Hazy992 said:
DoPo said:
Hazy992 said:

spammer

(from Urban Dictionary)

Ah, so it's lazy spawn camping. Only without camping. And not being near the spawn point. I can see why that would be really annoying.

The question is, why allow it in the first place? It's an incredibly cheap tactic and it's incredibly cheap to prevent it.

As for camping, it's a legitimately useful tactic. If a game allows camping to be overpowered, then it's a bad game, if you ask me.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
DoPo said:
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
Hazy992 said:
DoPo said:
Hazy992 said:

spammer

(from Urban Dictionary)

Ah, so it's lazy spawn camping. Only without camping. And not being near the spawn point. I can see why that would be really annoying.

The question is, why allow it in the first place? It's an incredibly cheap tactic and it's incredibly cheap to prevent it.
In MW2 it was a bug with one of the perks that let you get infinite grenades, now people will just use them all up commit suicide to get more and repeat. There's not much you can do about it unless you're in control of the server, and dice and IW don't really seem to care enough to remove the weapons entirely.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
Kahunaburger said:
Don't hate the player, hate the game. If a shooter rewards spamming/camping more than the playstyle it's designed around, that's an indication the shooter isn't designed very well.
I kind of have to agree with this. If a game has a cheap ability that can be spammed then it's not a well balanced game. If a game is designed so that one team can be spawn camped then that's just a crappy game.
As far as snipers just finding good spots to camp in, I kind of like that. It gives me something to hunt. Nothing was more fun for me then finding a sniper in Battlefield and stabbing them in the back. I caught three on one roof once.

OT: Kahuna, every time I see your avatar, all I can hear is Jules in my head going "Mmm, that is a tasty burger"

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
DoPo said:
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
Hazy992 said:
DoPo said:
Hazy992 said:

spammer

(from Urban Dictionary)

In MW2 it was a bug with one of the perks that let you get infinite grenades, now people will just use them all up commit suicide to get more and repeat. There's not much you can do about it unless you're in control of the server, and dice and IW don't really seem to care enough to remove the weapons entirely.
Let's get to the core of the problem - mass grenade bombarding the other team. Remedied by by removing the ability to mass grenade bombard the enemy team. The easiest solution - cover over the spawn points. I don't play MW at all, so maybe there is another easier solution. But basically prevent the situation from occurring in the first place - that's the role of the devs there.

Besides, it's a bug. It's not a valid tactic if you are exploiting an existing flaw (system exploitation may or may not be fair, but that's a different story). And frankly, I don't see how abusing a bug can be encouraged in any way, instead of fixed ASAP.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
The only experience I really have with this in an FPS is baseraping in Bad Company 2. I couldn't stand it simply because shooting fish in a barrel is not why I come on to play. Of course, a lot of people in those kind of games ONLY care about how many kills they are getting. Of course you are going to get that.

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
I like to stalk Campers, and spammers. I'll run out into broad daylight where a camper has been reported, let him kill me, watch where the bullet comes from and then burn him with my blowtorch, or claymore him to death, or use a rocket launcher to take the building apart level by level. Spammers are easy enough to kill, watch the rocket smoke or the grenade toss arc, and simply toss one back, or lay down cover fire for someone to knife em. Or hijack a hummer, and use it as a projectile with C4 attached. It's great fun. Team Trolling these guys is effective and hilarious. Gotta make your own fun

Jiffex

Dec 11, 2011
Spammers in FPS' are people who throw a load of grenades. Those people annoy me, but I'm fine with campers as it's a legit strategy