Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Samtemdo8 said:
Spawn has never looked more metal.
What do you mean exactly? This is pretty much the exact same Spawn since ever. They even got Keith David to voice him like he did in the late ?90s animated series I?d forgotten all about.

That said, he does look awesome, but I hate when great characters are relegated to chintzy appearances in games like this instead of getting a game all their own. I saw this Spawn and immediately thought how incredible an Arkham-esque Spawn game would be, but alas, he?s in yet another fighting game I couldn?t care less about.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Xprimentyl said:
Samtemdo8 said:
What do you mean exactly? This is pretty much the exact same Spawn since ever. They even got Keith David to voice him like he did in the late ?90s animated series I?d forgotten all about.

That said, he does look awesome, but I hate when great characters are relegated to chintzy appearances in games like this instead of getting a game all their own. I saw this Spawn and immediately thought how incredible an Arkham-esque Spawn game would be, but alas, he?s in yet another fighting game I couldn?t care less about.
This is what Rocksteady should be working on next. They?ve done enough Batman games for quite a while.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
hanselthecaretaker said:
Xprimentyl said:
Samtemdo8 said:

This is what Rocksteady should be working on next. They?ve done enough Batman games for quite a while.
Oh, God yes. Spawn in a bleak, open world with plenty of lofty, gothic steeples to brood upon whilst his cape flaps menacingly in the wind would be absotively fantastic.

I hate having the best ideas without the means, ability, talent or influence to do anything with them. I suck.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Xprimentyl said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
Xprimentyl said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Oh, God yes. Spawn in a bleak, open world with plenty of lofty, gothic steeples to brood upon whilst his cape flaps menacingly in the wind would be absotively fantastic.

I hate having the best ideas without the means, ability, talent or influence to do anything with them. I suck.
Yeah I think being a good game director mostly boils down to 50% vision and 50% knowing how to communicate it to other talented people. Guessing this is pretty much how Cory Barlog got the latest God of War made to GotY caliber. Speaking of, I?d really dig a wide-linear approach for a Spawn game. Something where every space feels like it supports his unique abilities. Basically a tightly designed cityscape with lots of verticality and a few outskirt areas for contrast.

Huh...pretty much sounds like Arkham, but Spawn could really rock that shite too.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Doesn't Spawn deliver the souls of evil guys to Satan?

If so, that...arguably makes him a good fit.

Guess Tsang Tsung and Quan Chi have competition now. 0_0

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Hawki said:

Not really, no. Been literal decades since I read anything Spawn, but iirc, a hellspawn is a human that died and got sent to Hell, where they took a deal with the devil to return to Earth and in return they one day become an officer in the armies of Hell. Catch is, they aren't returned as human, but as a sort of superzombie made of 'necroplasm', given a living symbiotic costume, and a reservoir of dark magical power that'll eventually run out (which returns them to Hell).

Also, it's kind of set up so Hell basically wins no matter what the hellspawn actually does on Earth. If it spends its time being an anti-hero (cuz what else) killing off evildoers? Well, Hell gets more fodder for its armies. Hell wins. Being a murderous psychopathic right bastard? Well, Hell thinks that makes for a great officer. Hell wins. Sit around doing nothing? Power eventually runs out. Hell gets another officer anyways, just not as high-ranked. Hell wins.

Tho I also remember a plotline where Spawn was champion of nature or something.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Chimpzy said:
Hawki said:

Not really, no. Been literal decades since I read anything Spawn, but iirc, a hellspawn is a human that died and got sent to Hell, where they took a deal with the devil to return to Earth and in return they one day become an officer in the armies of Hell. Catch is, they aren't returned as human, but as a sort of superzombie made of 'necroplasm', given a living symbiotic costume, and a reservoir of dark magical power that'll eventually run out (which returns them to Hell).

Also, it's kind of set up so Hell basically wins no matter what the hellspawn actually does on Earth. If it spends its time being an anti-hero (cuz what else) killing off evildoers? Well, Hell gets more fodder for its armies. Hell wins. Being a murderous psychopathic right bastard? Well, Hell thinks that makes for a great officer. Hell wins. Sit around doing nothing? Power eventually runs out. Hell gets another officer anyways, just not as high-ranked. Hell wins.

Tho I also remember a plotline where Spawn was champion of nature or something.
Huh, welp, that limited reservoir of power dynamic kinda shoots the freedom of my idyllic vertical cityscape sandbox Spawn game in the ass. That, or maybe it adds an opportunity for an interesting new mechanic; maybe something along the lines of your actions having a Dark Souls-esque sense of permanence? OooH! A SOULS-LIKE Spawn game, with a foot in both inner city and hell environments!

Quick, someone get me Miyazaki and Todd McFarlane?s phone numbers!! We need to get them locked in a room and like Thunderdom: ?Two men enter; one game leaves!?

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2009
Xprimentyl said:
Chimpzy said:
Huh, welp, that limited reservoir of power dynamic kinda shoots the freedom of my idyllic vertical cityscape sandbox Spawn game in the ass. That, or maybe it adds an opportunity for an interesting new mechanic; maybe something along the lines of your actions having a Dark Souls-esque sense of permanence? OooH! A SOULS-LIKE Spawn game, with a foot in both inner city and hell environments!

Quick, someone get me Miyazaki and Todd McFarlane?s phone numbers!! We need to get them locked in a room and like Thunderdom: ?Two men enter; one game leaves!?
I suppose. Your limited allotment of hell power basically putting a hard limit on how much time you have to complete the game. Then have using that magic be very useful and powerful, but also cut a reasonably significant amount off the timer, as opposed to the safer method, time wise, of using guns and hand to hand. Make it risk/reward. Could work, if implemented by a team who knows what they're doing.

Also seems like something speedrunner would maybe love to play around with.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Chimpzy said:
Xprimentyl said:
Chimpzy said:

I suppose. Your limited allotment of hell power basically putting a hard limit on how much time you have to complete the game. Then have using that magic be very useful and powerful, but also cut a reasonably significant amount off the timer, as opposed to the safer method, time wise, of using guns and hand to hand. Make it risk/reward. Could work, if implemented by a team who knows what they're doing.

Yeah, and don?t make the timer function tied to some scripted story events because it would lose all meaning from a gameplay perspective.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Chimpzy said:
Xprimentyl said:
Chimpzy said:

So mix Dark Souls with essentially an element of Dead Rising wherein finishing the game isn?t simply a pass/fail matter of advancing a fixed plot to the end, but getting as much done within the world as the player can in a fixed amount of hell magic resources. The player has a multitude of different objectives, each with a unique string of events, enemies, bosses and rewards upon completion that affect the game, i.e.: new abilities, items, weapons, etc. Of course there?d be an ideal ending for completing everything within the allotted time which is the ultimate challenge of the game.

hanselthecaretaker said:
Yeah, and don?t make the timer function tied to some scripted story events because it would lose all meaning from a gameplay perspective.
Agreed; good call; the timer/amount of available hell power should be an element of player choice and game play and not a driver of the story.

I?m not familiar with Spawn?s whole deal within his comics, but does his story ever lend an opportunity to add depleted hell magic back? Like, does killing a demon or fellow Spawn allow him to absorb more time/power from them? If such is the case, we could make the use of said powers a risk vs reward system as opposed to simply a risk system.

*(remembers suddenly we?re talking about an entirely fictional game that no one anywhere is making, a single tear runs down my face as the camera pans up and away)*

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2009
Xprimentyl said:
Chimpzy said:
So mix Dark Souls with essentially an element of Dead Rising wherein finishing the game isn?t simply a pass/fail matter of advancing a fixed plot to the end, but getting as much done within the world as the player can in a fixed amount of hell magic resources. The player has a multitude of different objectives, each with a unique string of events, enemies, bosses and rewards upon completion that affect the game, i.e.: new abilities, items, weapons, etc. Of course there?d be an ideal ending for completing everything within the allotted time which is the ultimate challenge of the game.

hanselthecaretaker said:
Agreed; good call; the timer/amount of available hell power should be an element of player choice and game play and not a driver of the story.

I?m not familiar with Spawn?s whole deal within his comics, but does his story ever lend an opportunity to add depleted hell magic back? Like, does killing a demon or fellow Spawn allow him to absorb more time/power from them? If such is the case, we could make the use of said powers a risk vs reward system as opposed to simply a risk system.

*(remembers suddenly we?re talking about an entirely fictional game that no one anywhere is making, a single tear runs down my face as the camera pans up and away)*
No, to my knowledge he couldn't restore his reservoir of hell magic himself, unless he's actually in hell, where it's infinite. Tho in the sense that it doesn't drain, not that it is replenished. Only like rulers of hell could actually really fill his tank again. Also, the comics consistently showed Spawn's magic to be very powerful to the point he usually quickly overwhelmed his enemies once he actually started using it. So I think his own reserves should be something that is very difficult to restore, but magic can make a huge difference in a fight.

But you know how his costume is a living symbiotic being itself? Well, it also has power of its own which unlike Spawn's is not finite. Iirc, Spawn could borrow. That could be worked into a mechanic where your suit is a renewable source of magic that slowly regenerates over time. Fast enough that you can still use magic when needed, but slow enough that you can't rely on frequent use. So when you're in a particularly tough battle and you've run out of suit power to fuel your magic, you have a choice: do you tough it out using conventional means, or do you risk tapping into your own precious reserves (and thus time)?

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I bought MK11 and got bored with it quite soon afterwards. It really hasn't changed much, except for graphically, since the 16bit days - and obviously it has a bit of story (although you could watch that online).

I did like MK9 at the time though, but that was basically a reimagining of the first 4 games so it made more sense in that context. Just feels like a cash grab now. I don't think I'll bother with MK12 if they make one.