Speaking the language of your home country

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Hi escapists!

Whether or not you know, America has a bit of a problem with illegal immigrants from South America. Actually, a relatively big problem, since the number of illegal immigrants was about 12 million in 2005.

The big thing that's been bothering some people in the bordering and southern states is that many illegals looking for work, ordering food and even asking for directions cannot speak English.
I'm not saying as soon as someone moves here, they should be fluent, but I feel like anyone who moves (illegal or not) should try to adopt to the language of their new home.

Take for instance my very own mother. My mother moved to Holland for work and a few months before hand bought books and took some classes to learn to speak a little Dutch. While she wasn't fluent, it was very obvious that the Dutch respected her for trying to learn and trying to speak what little she knew.

Even I learned a bit of Mandarin when I moved to Singapore, even though the national language was English. (I knew enough to get me around).

The thing that bothers me most is that many of the immigrants do not even see a need to learn English. My friend's mother is a Hispanic woman who fluently speaks English and Spanish. She works for a place that teachers immigrants English (for FREE). She said most of her students did not show any desire to learn English and did not try. As a Hispanic woman who came to America legally and forced herself to learn English, she is extremely dissapointed with the people. She went on to tell me that all the people who are illegals are the ones who think they do not need to learn English.
This sounds unbelievable, but it's sadly true.

What do you guys think about language? Do you think people who move to another country should learn the language of said country?

oxiclean

May 12, 2010
of course, it becomes a burden on everyone else when they have to learn the language of a country they will probably never go to, and must accomodate these people.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
If you make people speak the language, they'd be more productive to the society they are merging into. I think that would be a good idea, although forcing them is a bit harsh. Encouragement is a better idea.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
Yes, I agree with you. If you move to another country, you are essentially a guest in that country until you earn citizenship. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. I've been living in Japan for 2 years and trying my hardest to learn the Japanese language. Many of my co-workers are genuinely impressed at how far I have progressed since I first got here and only knew a little bit. They do respect it when people try to learn their own language while they're here. It also is a good way to learn about the culture of the place you're in, as you cannot separate language from culture. This is another reason why I think it's wrong to be stubborn about speaking your own language in another country. It's showing that you're stubborn about staying within the bubble of your own culture as well. If you're in another country, take the opportunity to at least experience the culture of the place. You don't have to like it. Different cultures aren't for everyone. But you should at least learn about it. It broadens your experience and may indeed change you in ways you don't realize.

Also, I think it's rude to expect the people in the country you're visiting to bend over backwards to accommodate you and your lack of language skills in their language. It does show consideration to you if they try your language when you first arrive, but you shouldn't force them to do it all the time. That's imposing on them, and you'll probably quickly overstay your welcome. Anyway, that's my two cents on the matter.

theincurabletragedy

Feb 22, 2010
Personally I'd never go to a different country without learning at least basic phrases, but then again with illegal immigrants it's obviously different to me going on a holiday.
I like the idea of these classes. Also, are there 'reverse' versions of the Lonely Planet phrasebooks (*language* > English instead of English > *language*)? They're amazingly useful, and if someone somewhere could get the funds to have these for students of these classes it'd probably help a lot.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
I want to move to Japan and I'm currently taking Japanese courses. I would never move somewhere and not speak the language at a decent level before going.
Forcing is a bit strong like many people have said. Encouraging is a better way to get things done.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I say you've got two years to start enrolling in English classes or display proficiency or you get deported.

I have no tolerance for people who immigrate and refuse to assimilate into the culture of the place they're moving to.

Blindswordmaster

Dec 28, 2009
We need to stop accommodating people who don't speak English. Spanish-speaking immigrants don't want to earn English because they don't need to. Why would you learn a new language when you only have to press 2?

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
Here's a little bit of a Potatoes-clan family secret: my great-grandfather was an illegal immigrant. My mother's grandmother came to the States legally, but mom's grandfather didn't.

Still, he learned to speak, read and write English fluently. All three of his children are bilingual, and two of them hold doctorates. My mother is herself bilingual, and has worked on teaching me to speak the language.

In my family, we hold that if you move to another country, you learn to speak and read the language proficiently. It's just how the world works.

Emperor Platypus

Feb 17, 2010
VanityGirl said:
Hi escapists!

Take for instance my very own mother. My mother moved to Holland for work and a few months before hand bought books and took some classes to learn to speak a little Dutch. While she wasn't fluent, it was very obvious that the Dutch respected her for trying to learn and trying to speak what little she knew.

Even I learned a bit of Mandarin when I moved to Singapore, even though the national language was English. (I knew enough to get me around).
Massive kudos for your mother, from what I heard from foreingers it's actually a hard language to learn (I wouldn't know, it IS my mothertongue afterall.)

OT:
I agree that if you go to another country (especially if you go and live there for an extended period of time) you really should try to get a basic grasp of the language.

Right now I'm studying Mandarin because I deffinitively want to go to China once in my life and be able to make myself understood. Don't get me wrong, you can get around perfectly well with just English whils't staying in Beijing but like other people said, it's just common decency to atleast try and speak the language.

Snow Fire

Fluffy Neko Kemono
Jan 19, 2009
The United States has no official language at the Federal level, and no official religion. I believe the founding fathers wanted a country where everyone could be themselves, practice their own religion, use their own languages, and all have the same constitutional rights on American soil, even if the people are illegal immigrants, non-citizens, or citizens. From the way they have written things, this seems to be the case.

I personally don't think people should be forced to learn a new language, if they don't learn it, they are only closing a lot of doors.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
madbird-valiant said:
...and possibly German, because German just kicks ass.
I love you.
OT: I agree with the original post. Upon entering a country, you should know a small amount of the primary language and intend to learn more with time. Hell, I'm going to Taiwan in a couple weeks and I'm already learning some Mandarin.

Swarley

Apr 5, 2010
If there is going to be a universal language it may as well be Latin, after all that was the original purpose of it.

VanityGirl said:
Whether or not you know, America has a bit of a problem with illegal immigrants from South America.
I thought most of the illegal immigrants were from Mexico?

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Don't have to force em, but they better take in stride when they are ignored.
And a universal language would be nice. I dont care what it is, but english is rather spread out and seems the most logical simply for that. (Many countries teach it too, so we're already half way there)

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
SimuLord said:
I say you've got two years to start enrolling in English classes or display proficiency or you get deported.

I have no tolerance for people who immigrate and refuse to assimilate into the culture of the place they're moving to.
I'd maybe give them three years, but I agree on the principle. The blatant disregard many of these people show for the ways of the country they want to benefit from drives me up the wall.

madbird-valiant said:
... and possibly German, because German just kicks ass.
Vielen Dank, mein Herr!

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Hey, when I went to England, I had to learn English. I would have felt like an ass asking for 'chips' and getting french fries instead.

I kid, I kid. But yeah... who plans to go somewhere with a different language without at least getting a pocket translation book? That's just crazy.