Spec Ops: The Line Will Challenge Your Morality

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Spec Ops: The Line Will Challenge Your Morality

[gametrailers=59820]

2K Games has announced the intriguing Spec Ops: The Line, a third-person shooter that could deal with some heavy issues.

2K Games' Spec Ops: The Line was recently unveiled at the 2009 VGAs. The game, in development by Berlin based studio YAGER, is a modern day third-person military shooter set in the abandoned and destroyed city of Dubai. Spec Ops' title evokes feelings of Socom or Ghost Recon, but it actually has more of an Uncharted vibe to it.

Playing as U.S. Army Captain Martin Walker, you are part of a rescue operation in Dubai investigating a distress signal presumably received from U.S. Army Colonel John Konrad. Before devastating, city-destroying sandstorms hit Dubai, Konrad and his squad remained in the area to protect citizens that weren't able to escape, and they were feared dead until the signal was received. The sandstorms play a large role in combat, often changing battlefield situations on the fly. Multiplayer will also be thrown in the mix, which will be tied into the single-player storyline somehow.

Most war games tend to fall into the category of "yet another one," but Spec Ops: The Line could be a title worth looking out for. The trailer paints the picture of a conflict between a man utterly changed by the choices of war and the group of soldiers trying to bring him home. 2K Games says Spec Ops will "challenge players' morality by putting them in the middle of unspeakable situations where unimaginable choices affecting human life must be made." This storyline, combined with the game's dynamic environments that can change at random, has me very interested. Spec Ops: The Line will be released sometime during Take-Two's 2011 fiscal year, which doesn't begin until November 1, 2010, so don't bug your local videogame store employee about this one just yet.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Meh, yet another war game. I think im set with MW2 until BFBC 2 comes out.

also, Berlin based studio YAGER.

YAGER BOMB!

Du Jour Jaricho

Aug 10, 2009
I know this question has probably been asked hundreds of times over shooter history but I still want to know how this guy can fight thirty enemies and come out of the battle without even a papercut...

Du Jour Jaricho

Aug 10, 2009
Deofuta said:
Meh, yet another war game.
And what? Would you like a shooter were you play a fat, angry, old man living alone in a rundown home in an empty field who spends all his time on his pouch and takes potshots at kids who every so often come on his property?

If you have an idea for a shooter that doesn't involve some type of battle I'd love to hear it. (No sarcasm. I live off original ideas)

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
It seems pretty cool. It's got the "Apocalypse Now" vibe, with the crazy commander and stuff, but that's not a bad thing.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Frankly, I don't care about games claiming to 'challenge player's morality'. The whole 'choose your path' fad in games went from the choice between 'Messiah or Satan' to having you choose between two unspeakable evils. I remain unimpressed.

Du Jour Jaricho said:
I know this question has probably been asked hundreds of times over shooter history but I still want to know how this guy can fight thirty enemies and come out of the battle without even a papercut...
It's a video game. 'Nuff said.

StigmataDiaboli

May 18, 2009
Spec OPS?! I've still got the PSone Stealh Patrol! Making a new game after 8 years in a series is either going to go wrong or be the best thing since something.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Du Jour Jaricho said:
Deofuta said:
Meh, yet another war game.
And what? Would you like a shooter were you play a fat, angry, old man living alone in a rundown home in an empty field who spends all his time on his pouch and takes potshots at kids who every so often come on his property?

If you have an idea for a shooter that doesn't involve some type of battle I'd love to hear it. (No sarcasm. I live off original ideas)
Have you tried The Saboteur? That's an original WWII game if there ever was one.

What does pique my interest is the setting of the battlefield in this game. Initially I thought it was going to be in a climate-change-wrecked future where the world is engulfed in deserts - implausible - but sandstorm-terrorized Dubai is actually a pretty cool idea, and close enough to realism, too; deserts are constantly shifting, and a good storm could well wipe away the ground beneath your feet. Props to whoever came up with that.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Deofuta said:
Meh, yet another war game. I think im set with MW2 until BFBC 2 comes out.
After watching the trailer, though, I think this game has as much in common with those two games as Pokemon does with Street Fighter.
Sure there is 'fighting', but it's way too different to compare.
I've got my eye on this one.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Cool,cool.Looks nice,has a good vibe to it.

Off Topic:Was the song in that video by Björk?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
"Spec Ops: The Lin"? The trailer seems to be missing a portion of the left hand side.

Du Jour Jaricho

Aug 10, 2009
AkJay said:
It seems pretty cool. It's got the "Apocalypse Now" vibe, with the crazy commander and stuff, but that's not a bad thing.
Damn it now, you have increased my want for a game were the main character seems to come from a Werner Herzog movie.

LTK_70 said:
Frankly, I don't care about games claiming to 'challenge player's morality'. The whole 'choose your path' fad in games went from the choice between 'Messiah or Satan' to having you choose between two unspeakable evils. I remain unimpressed.

Du Jour Jaricho said:
It's a video game. 'Nuff said.
I believe you've missed my point, I'm only saying is that I want developers to at least try to make sense of the protagonists Godliness. There's just something about the trailer that makes me question this regular gaming occurrence.

While on the subject of the trailer, anyone know who's voicing the colonel? He sounds familiar...

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
I feel like my comments for these announcements are blending together..

NEW GAMES LOOK INTERESTING. I TOO WONDER WHAT IT WILL BE LIKE.
I WONDER IF THEY WILL BE GOOD, IN WHICH CASE I WILL BECOME EXCITED FOR THEM, AND THEN WHEN RELEASED I'LL MAKE COMMENTS ON HOW GOOD OR BAD IT IS, USING MY OPINION FOR FACT.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
That looked pretty cool. Shifting enviormental planes has always been pretty sweet in my eyes as it gives the battlefield life.

TheHitcher

Sep 9, 2009
I clicked on this thinking it was something about Spec Ops for MW2...

Like, maybe the DLC for MW2 on it's way looks so good it will change your morality?

Fail.