Special Weapon/Armor leveling with the player in Skyrim?

Mr. Blik

Apr 14, 2009
Hey guys, quick question for those of you playing Skryim:

Do you know if the special weapons level like they did in Oblivion? For instance, the Sanguine Rose if obtained at level 10 would be weaker than if obtained at level 20. Do they do that same thing in Skyrim? Or is it that they just maintain a certain level and if you happen to chance upon an extremely good weapon or armor set at a low level, you get the benefit of it being pure awesomeness....

Either way, thanks guys,
Blindmoose

PS. Tell me the adventures of your days in Skyrim. I love stories.

Kittynugget

Aug 12, 2011
I believe the Nightingale armor set from the thieves guild is like this. I hear it is the best light armor in the game but only if you attain it at a high level.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I can't say for sure if weapons and whatnot scale that way as I've only played a single character, but it does appear that way. The named items I get are always just slightly worse than the gear I currently happen to have (yay Daedric gear), but since I've only got like three of them, I'm not sure if it's just my timing or that they are scaling. I can tell you once you get the item, it doesn't change, so take that for whatever it's worth.

Mr. Blik

Apr 14, 2009
That's what I thought, that it scales with the player. It's kind of why I've been putting of doing a few quests because I want to get the item when it is at its strongest.

Dec 14, 2009
Yeah, I'm planning on getting the Nightingale armour, but I'm not sure when to grab it.

I don't want to be level 20+ when I pick it up.

Mr. Blik

Apr 14, 2009
I guess I'm just really big on exploring and I'm already at level 23. I haven't even finished the main quest yet....

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
Gah. It didn't occur to me that the Nightingale Armour would level up or be the best light armour in the game - I joined the Thieves Guild at like level 11.

Just as well I haven't joined the Dark Brotherhood yet.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
If items don't level with you, one of the first mods released will fix that.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Wouldn't it be the same, just your light armour skill is lower so it means you get a lesser armour effect from it?

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
This one guy said:
I swear my Skyforged steel war axe is leveling up even when I don't take a onehanded perk.
Weapon damage improves with your skill level, not just the perk. As you get more skilled, the weapons do more damage, etc.

Though if you think your Skyforged axe is impressive, just wait til you get Daedric gear. With 5/5 damage perk and 83 1h skill, my Daedric swords do 96 damage.

jikke

Nov 18, 2011
Some special weapons and armor does indeed level with the player. The stats of those items are determined at the moment the player obtains them.

For example if you get Nightingale armor before level 20, it is waaaay worst than if you get it after level 20. I don't know what is the max level that gives you the best stats.

The stats will remain same even if you level your character after obtaining these items. Read more here: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Leveled_Items

So don't get good items too early or they will suck!

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Kittynugget said:
I believe the Nightingale armor set from the thieves guild is like this. I hear it is the best light armor in the game but only if you attain it at a high level.
The armor is the same. Its rating is determined by your Light Armor skill and by the perks you have from it. Its rating has already doubled for me.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
It seems like all the loot levels in this game unfortunately. Before level ~20, I couldn't find anything higher than steel. But as soon as I passed the hurdle, shops began stocking elven and dwarven shit and I started finding the odd "elven war axe" or something in dungeons. Level scaling loot in dungeons makes me a saaad panda...

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
I went into the testing room and can confirm that there are sets of the same armour and weapons with different ratings. I assume these are the items that are better when you obtain them at a higher level.