Speculation About PSN Outage Turns to Custom Firmware

OutforEC

Professional Amateur
Jul 20, 2010
EcksTeaSea said:
mojodamm said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Wow, talk about circular logic. If it weren't for the pirates, Sony wouldn't have to protect against piracy.
And if it weren't for Sony taking out Linux and actually doing their jobs and checking for this stuff, pirates would have nothing to exploit. It comes out of Sony first, pirates have nothing to do with anything until Sony finishes their products and sets it up.
I'm not a fan of Sony either, but I'm more of a fan of not blaming the victim when it comes to criminal activity.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
mojodamm said:
EcksTeaSea said:
mojodamm said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Wow, talk about circular logic. If it weren't for the pirates, Sony wouldn't have to protect against piracy.
And if it weren't for Sony taking out Linux and actually doing their jobs and checking for this stuff, pirates would have nothing to exploit. It comes out of Sony first, pirates have nothing to do with anything until Sony finishes their products and sets it up.
I'm not a fan of Sony either, but I'm more of a fan of not blaming the victim when it comes to criminal activity.
I'm not a fan of letting the victim get pitied on when it was their own fault for somehow not noticing a huge flaw in their security. One or two things missing I can understand because that happens to every company, but ALL of the users information (at least according to the article here) now thats a huge problem.

OutforEC

Professional Amateur
Jul 20, 2010
EcksTeaSea said:
mojodamm said:
EcksTeaSea said:
mojodamm said:
EcksTeaSea said:
I'm not a fan of letting the victim get pitied on when it was their own fault for somehow not noticing a huge flaw in their security. One or two things missing I can understand because that happens to every company, but ALL of the users information (at least according to the article here) now thats a huge problem.
I agree it is serious, and I agree that Sony shouldn't be, as you put it, "pitied" for security flaws. But you blaming Sony for the illegal actions of others is completely disingenuous if you don't also look at the root cause of the breach; piracy. All your hatred for Sony, all your vitriol over their security flaws, all your seething rants about how Sony is too lazy to fix their system, it's misdirected, because without the piracy none of that would matter.

To summarize: Sony is stupid, pirates are despicable.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
mojodamm said:
EcksTeaSea said:
mojodamm said:
EcksTeaSea said:
mojodamm said:
EcksTeaSea said:
I agree it is serious, and I agree that Sony shouldn't be, as you put it, "pitied" for security flaws. But you blaming Sony for the illegal actions of others is completely disingenuous if you don't also look at the root cause of the breach; piracy. All your hatred for Sony, all your vitriol over their security flaws, all your seething rants about how Sony is too lazy to fix their system, it's misdirected, because without the piracy none of that would matter.

Sure the guy who did it is a dick and people are always gonna be dicks, but if it gets Sony to shape up and actually care that this happens and upgrade their stuff then the pirate did a good thing in away. You win in your own way, Sony upgrades and continues to upgrade to make sure it can't happen. Its a win and defeat for both.

OutforEC

Professional Amateur
Jul 20, 2010
EcksTeaSea said:
mojodamm said:
EcksTeaSea said:
mojodamm said:
EcksTeaSea said:
mojodamm said:
EcksTeaSea said:

Sure the guy who did it is a dick and people are always gonna be dicks, but if it gets Sony to shape up and actually care that this happens and upgrade their stuff then the pirate did a good thing in away. You win in your own way, Sony upgrades and continues to upgrade to make sure it can't happen. Its a win and defeat for both.
That view I can get behind. It sucks that it often takes (and I hate to use the term, because in the big scheme of things it really isn't) a tragedy to make people re-evaluate the way they do things, but hopefully some good will come of this in the long run.

PS: Not that I will ever endorse piracy, just to get that straight ;)

callmegreen

Jan 29, 2011
ionveau said:
callmegreen said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
So, all these fights against piracy...and Sony still hasn't done jack shit about Game Sharing? The most basic form of PS3 piracy?
WTF is game sharing? by that do you mean LITERALY sharing games with your friends ??
I hope you know sharing games is piracy when you buy software the law states only you may use it if you share it thats piracy and stealing. unless you live in canada where corporations dont fix laws to make profit.
THIS IS ............ AWESOME!!!! im canadian im im off to call my friends to tell them they can download my copy of AC 2 when psn is back online :D HURRAH FOR GAMESHARING

ProtonGuy

Apr 7, 2011
I think this is a shining example of why cloud gaming and games available exclusively via download is still a very bad idea. Think about what this would be like if it happened years down the pipe if cloud gaming did hypothetically take off, all of our content is rendered useless. It looks great and convenient on paper, and for the most part it is, but it's not practical yet. I feel bad for the developers, and I'm not even into the indie game scene.

arealperson

Oct 1, 2009
callmegreen said:
ionveau said:
callmegreen said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
So, all these fights against piracy...and Sony still hasn't done jack shit about Game Sharing? The most basic form of PS3 piracy?
WTF is game sharing? by that do you mean LITERALY sharing games with your friends ??
I hope you know sharing games is piracy when you buy software the law states only you may use it if you share it thats piracy and stealing. unless you live in canada where corporations dont fix laws to make profit.
THIS IS ............ AWESOME!!!! im canadian im im off to call my friends to tell them they can download my copy of AC 2 when psn is back online :D HURRAH FOR GAMESHARING
When a company distributes a game intended to be capable of being 'split' into five instances of different access it isn't piracy and there's no reason to suggest such. However, sharing your account credentials with others is considered a breach of Sony's TOS and thus any use of the software under such pretense is illegal. But if you go over to your friend's house, log-in and download, and allow his Network ID to be registered with the game, than I fully endorse your actions (as does Sony).

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
I think its cool of PS to do this. I mean, everybody is going to be mad at THEM apparently, everyone is talking smack, but they turned off the network anyway to protect your information from hackers.

Its better then just leaving it on, i would think.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
esksfan said:
Signa said:
I was a little pissed at first if this was true, because it would mean that the pirates are shitting on everyone. Then I thought about it a little more, and if I understand things right, a "pirate" who has a hacked console isn't technically allowed on PSN anymore. Therefore, they aren't allowed to even be a Sony customer if they have decided to mod their console. Ergo, Sony, nor devs are actually losing money from these pirates because they just simply wouldn't be capable of buying in the first place. If that's the case, then Sony is a HUGE jackass for shitting on their entire customer base just because they are sad some one is getting free stuff when they told them they weren't allowed to pay for it.

uuuhhhhhhh.....are you drunk?????
Thank you for that intelligent rebuttal.

But yeah, I just heard today that in fact people's information was compromised, but it took this long for Sony to announce it. Shame on them again anyway.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
arealperson said:
callmegreen said:
ionveau said:
callmegreen said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
When a company distributes a game intended to be capable of being 'split' into five instances of different access it isn't piracy and there's no reason to suggest such. However, sharing your account credentials with others is considered a breach of Sony's TOS and thus any use of the software under such pretense is illegal. But if you go over to your friend's house, log-in and download, and allow his Network ID to be registered with the game, than I fully endorse your actions (as does Sony).
Also its fun to know cracks and CD key generators are 100% legal