Spelling mistakes you keep seeing!

Watchmacallit

Jan 7, 2010
This thread has probably been made a million times but I keep seeing it and I don't get how people that want to go to college can't spell college!

I constantly see collage. Now, I'm assuming that these people are from the USA because its the only place I know that calls universities, college.

For all those that want to get into college, learn to spell it!

For discussion purposes: What words do you constantly see spelt incorrectly? This does not include native slang or the differences between UK English and USA English.

(Before anyone tries, 'spelt' is the correct term for UK English)

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
More spell check error which i see all the time, COLOUR IS ACCEPTABLE, AS IS COLOR. HONOUR. ARMOUR. LET ME USE THESE.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
2QUAR3D said:
"You're" and "Your". Get them in context!

EDIT: Is that grammatical, rather?
I think it is, but that was what I was going to say, too. That, and the three "there"s. I can't believe the number of people who get to college and STILL don't know the difference between your and you're and there, their, and they're.

thongurf

Mar 8, 2011
It really annoys me when people say srsly instead of actually typing seriously, though not really a typo i suspect many people just dont know how to spell the word correctly.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Im guilty of it but I dont usually add 's to my contractions.

and Im also guilty of it but than vs then though I try to be better about it.

EDIT:
Rem45 said:
... I don't get how people that want to go to college can't spell college!

I constantly see collage. Now, I'm assuming that these people are from the USA because its the only place I know that calls universities, college.

There's a different between a college and a university. Just so you know. College are usually more state sponsored and not for profit (supposedly), while Universities are more independent of state rule and usually higher accredited and sought after. hence the increase in price compared to a similar sized state college or even occasionally a bigger state college.

thats why some places are actually called College or University.

Like, for example, Im going to a university now, but 20 years ago or so we were a college.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Spelling "of course" as "ofcourse", granted I mostly see this from myself but still!
FreakSheet said:
More spell check error which i see all the time, COLOUR IS ACCEPTABLE, AS IS COLOR. HONOUR. ARMOUR. LET ME USE THESE.
I would say that depends, if you´re writing in British English and then use color instead of colour that is grammatically incorrect and need to be fixed.

Soluncreed

Sep 24, 2009
Misspelled. Silly people, it's mispelled. They can't even get that word right, which is kind of funny.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Soluncreed said:
Misspelled. Silly people, it's mispelled. They can't even get that word right, which is kind of funny.
Sure about that? most places I checked had it spelled as "misspelled"(even spelling programs said mispelled was wrong).

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Soluncreed said:
Not sure if serious, but no, its misspelled with two S's.

otherwise you have mispelled which typing into the comment box gets me the red squiggles of failure and phonetically sounds like Me spelled, which i guess is right if you're going for a stereotyped mexican voice.

EDIT:

Plus <url=http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/misspelled.html>this says so too.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
No idea what your talking about. Never sea anything spelled uncorrect.

Seriously, I see "alot" a lot instead of "a lot". (Confused? :p)
Also "your" in place of "you're", "there" for both "they're" and "their", "here" for "hear" and just a general bastardisation of the English language.
German seems to be going downhill too. I see "wie gehz" a lot nowadays when the correct way is "wie geht's (dir)?" as well as people replacing "ß" with a single "S".

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
FreakSheet said:
thongurf said:
It really annoys me when people say srsly instead of actually typing seriously, though not really a typo i suspect many people just dont know how to spell the word correctly.
You two have committed a great writing sin in my eyes, and it involves not capitalizing "I" in the middle of sentences.

I know it isn't a spelling thing, but I haven't seen many spelling errors that get to me as much as that error. I don't know why it rubs me the wrong way so much, but it does.

NedroidPrime

Jan 6, 2011
I see a lot of evangelical churches that spell "angel" "angle".

Or Hallelujah as "Alleluia".

Seriously, if you are going to preach at everyone, at least learn how to spell major words!

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
The word "missile" has two i's in it.

That sentence also brings up another pet peeve of mine: apostrophe abuse. [http://www.apostropheabuse.com/]

Watchmacallit

Jan 7, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
Im guilty of it but I dont usually add 's to my contractions.

and Im also guilty of it but than vs then though I try to be better about it.

EDIT:
Rem45 said:
... I don't get how people that want to go to college can't spell college!

There's a different between a college and a university. Just so you know. College are usually more state sponsored and not for profit (supposedly), while Universities are more independent of state rule and usually higher accredited and sought after. hence the increase in price compared to a similar sized state college or even occasionally a bigger state college.

thats why some places are actually called College or University.

Like, for example, Im going to a university now, but 20 years ago or so we were a college.
Oh I see. In Australia High School and College (my teen years were spent at Catholic Regional College) are the same thing and all higher education is University as well as TAFE which is more of a hands on type thing.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Lilani said:
2QUAR3D said:
"You're" and "Your". Get them in context!

EDIT: Is that grammatical, rather?
I think it is, but that was what I was going to say, too. That, and the three "there"s. I can't believe the number of people who get to college and STILL don't know the difference between your and you're and there, their, and they're.
I'm so sorry I keep doing that, but in my defence English is my second language and I learned it from watching TV and movies with subtitles, but still that is no excuse I should have learned by now so I do apologize.