Spelling mistakes you keep seeing!

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Rem45 said:
emeraldrafael said:
Oh I see. In Australia High School and College (my teen years were spent at Catholic Regional College) are the same thing and all higher education is University as well as TAFE which is more of a hands on type thing.
Yeah, I saw after I looked it up. its a country difference it seems, but Im just letting you know, in the states there's a difference. doesnt mean that they're still not calling their univeristy a college (I know I call mine that), just saying.

efAston

Sep 12, 2011
One I used to keep getting wrong, was spelling metre "meter". The latter's fine in the US, but not in the rest of the world. The problem was that I keep getting thrown off by words like "chamber" and "diameter", which also come from an -re French suffix, but just don't follow the trend for some reason.

efAston

Sep 12, 2011
Soluncreed said:
kebab4you said:
Soluncreed said:
Misspelled. Silly people, it's mispelled. They can't even get that word right, which is kind of funny.
Sure about that? most places I checked had it spelled as "misspelled"(even spelling programs said mispelled was wrong).
emeraldrafael said:
Soluncreed said:
Misspelled. Silly people, it's mispelled. They can't even get that word right, which is kind of funny.
Not sure if serious, but no, its misspelled with two S's.

otherwise you have mispelled which typing into the comment box gets me the red squiggles of failure and phonetically sounds like Me spelled, which i guess is right if you're going for a stereotyped mexican voice.

EDIT:

Plus <url=http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/misspelled.html>this says so too.
Damn.
I'd like to change my answer to misspelled. For some reason people seem to want to spell it as "mispelled". They can't even get that word right, which is kind of funny.
OED lists it as "mis-spell v.".

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
"I could care less"

And there goes all my respect for you. Although that's more of a speech error than spelling mistake.

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
woman / women

you / your / you're / yore / yaw

effect / affect

opinion / onion / pinion

shoot / shot

strafe / strafed / strafing

to / two / too

loose / lose / loosed / lost / loss

there / they're / their

of / off / have

s

No, really, s. People have trouble spelling the letter s. They keep putting an apostrophe before it.

definite / definitely / dynamite / separate

stationary / stationery

than / then

hence / thence / whence

whether / wether / weather

I

Yes, I. It's a capital letter.

ridiculous

Edit for example:
CrazyGirl17 said:
Seriosully
The captcha was "continued labutest" and that seems appropriate.

BadPublicity

Sep 17, 2010
The words you're and your, but I guess you could say they have more to do with grammar rather then spelling.
The English language is a bit odd though, look at the actor Sean Bean, why is his name pronounced Shaun Bean, rather then Seen Bean.

Masticate

Oct 8, 2011
believer258 said:
A collage is actually a thing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collage

The one that bothers me the absolute most is "definitely". It's often written as "defiantly".

I think that every keyboard should, from now on, have a zapper in it and a way to detect whether the person actually means "definitely" or not, and if they do mean "definitely" and write "defiantly", they should be zapped with ever increasing voltage until they either a) learn or b) get zapped right out of the fucking gene pool because they're too stupid to do anything for humanity.
Good on you for trying to be smart with the "Collage" thing, but he meant when people spell it "collage" instead of the actual "college".

The one that annoys me is "definately" >.>