Spider-Gwen Preview Art Swings Online

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
Alar said:
ritchards said:
Apparently, as long as whatever she's wearing shows off her tits, it's fine.
Yes, and they could get around this buy uh... loose, baggy clothing that would be bad for a super hero! Or, uh... regular binding of the breasts!

Seriously, dude super heroes run around in skin-tight outfits all the time. To get upset over it being done with a heroine is just silly.

Personally, I think Spider-Gwen is awesome. I've loved her design ever since I saw it.
Exactly. I mean, how dare women have breasts! They should be ashamed of themselves! Bind them and wear habits at all times!

In all seriousness though, the design of the costume is great. The colors and theme are instantly recognizable and indicative - even a person not well-versed in Spiderman and its characters can make the connection via these costume elements alone, while simultaneously recognizing it as apart from Spiderman's own clothing. The silhouette is a clean, sleak look that the loose shape of the hood serves to accent very well. The black trim on the torso does a nice job of accenting the form immitating a low-cut dress; it adds a distinctly feminine element. It's all very effective, and does its job well.

What IS a problem is the cover artist's rendering of the costume. The artist either:

A) Doesn't know -- or (more likely) B) DOESN'T CARE how fabric (even spandex, lycra, etc.) works and conforms to the body.

So to explain a little, I'll lay down some boob science. She jumps around a lot and runs and fights - she's very physically active in general. So she needs a bra -- probably a sports bra for the best support. Like, no girl would ever do any of that shit in earnest and not wear a bra. Ever. And the the suit, even if it is tight and stretchy, has got to be warped and conform to the shape of her breasts as the bra holds and supports them. It would have horizontal pulling and stress accross the fabric between the apex of the curve of the breasts (instead of the flat, wide-the-fuck-open space accross her sternum), as well as at the back outside of the breasts where their structure connects to the structure of the rib cage; and the breasts would be much closer together as a result of the bra's protection and support.

Instead, as drawn, the breasts are completely apart and "floating", supported by nothing, and there is no indication of fabric warping/conforming. Basically, this is what the artist did: the artist drew her as nude (but with the hoodie shaped), possibly even from a nude photo ref, (I know with certainty this happens a lot in the super hero comics world), and just said lazily "fuck it" to giving the character's anatomy correct shape and support in context. So the artist just colored the suit over a nude form. The result, as we can see, is akin to what you would get with a bodypaint nude-suit, rather than what you would get with tight, actual clothing.

That's what the real problem is. The design is great. The artist's rendering of that design is... dumb...

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
I've never gotten into comicbooks. I find the Marvel characters interesting in a general kind of way, but was simply never able to get into reading about them. I did once buy 2 or 3 Gambit spin off comics, and while it did amuse me, it never made me want to buy any others.
So please keep in mind that I never really got into comics.

I have a question for all those of you who are into comics; Do these endless spin-offs actually interest you? Some of them just seem outright dull and I really can't understand the attraction.
You have a main character (lets imagine his name is The Cheese Avenger) and you've been following his story arch for several years. Then they decide to make a spin-off comic series about his dog (Cheddar). To me, that sounds pretty damn boring. But I then read endless online arguments about how they've changed the colour of the dog's fur from sandy brown to chocolate brown. I see that people are really passionate about it. I see endless rage created about a side character who was fucking shit in the first place.

This is kind of where I am right now. Is this Spider-Gwen character even remotely interesting to you guys?

toms

Oct 23, 2008
Li Mu said:
I've never gotten into comicbooks. I find the Marvel characters interesting in a general kind of way, but was simply never able to get into reading about them. I did once buy 2 or 3 Gambit spin off comics, and while it did amuse me, it never made me want to buy any others.
So please keep in mind that I never really got into comics.

I have a question for all those of you who are into comics; Do these endless spin-offs actually interest you? Some of them just seem outright dull and I really can't understand the attraction.
You have a main character (lets imagine his name is The Cheese Avenger) and you've been following his story arch for several years. Then they decide to make a spin-off comic series about his dog (Cheddar). To me, that sounds pretty damn boring. But I then read endless online arguments about how they've changed the colour of the dog's fur from sandy brown to chocolate brown. I see that people are really passionate about it. I see endless rage created about a side character who was fucking shit in the first place.

This is kind of where I am right now. Is this Spider-Gwen character even remotely interesting to you guys?
Birch please! Cheddar is awesome. I would love to read a spinoff starring Cheddar. She's a great dog.

Spider-Gwen looks great and so does her costume. I might even get the collected series, once they come out in the far nondescript spacefuture.

Razhem

Sep 9, 2008
Good thing I actually bothered to see the rest of the images and not go all SJW on it! The costume looks awesome, specially in the interior art, really like the style.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
ritchards said:
Wait what? She's wearing a full body suit. A hoodie and shoes that are comfortable and functional. and her breasts are in the comic are either small,or being bound up.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
Winnosh said:
ritchards said:
Wait what? She's wearing a full body suit. A hoodie and shoes that are comfortable and functional. and her breasts are in the comic are either small,or being bound up.
That was my innitial reaction to his comment. It wasn't very specific so I called it out in a comment above too. But now I know what he meant, as he later clarified his statement as being directed at the way the cover artist drew the suit, here:

ritchards said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
ritchards said:
The front page image is pretty misleading, the shade and lighting makes it look like bare skin and cleavage down to her belly button (which obviously wouldn't be very good for acrobatics of any kind). If you look up by her neck though, it's actually a very skin tight hoodie.
Yeah, that's the image that's drawing out my comment. Some of the other images show off that it's a top, but that main artist seems to have other things in mind.
See, it's the body paint nude suit look that so many spandex super hero artists use, instead of supporting the female anatomy with a bra and clothes (even if they are tight). The artist really just drew her nude and colored clothes over the nude form. Look at female gymnasts or MMA fighters. They wear tight unitards or uniforms and costumes, but their breasts are clearly supported by sports bras and you can see how thier shapes warp the fabric of their suit. Same with ballerinas and dancers. Hell, even the most well-endowed girl with no support in a tight one-piece bathing suit doesn't have her breasts completely free floating, in the way that this artist is portraying Gwen.

But that's a chronic problem in the spandex super hero worlds of Marvel, DC, and the like. Too many artists literally just looking at nude photos or even film stills and just copying the pose or body part for reference. Too many artist's not bothering to adjust for the way fabric of all varities behaves. Too many artists drawing lazy contextual anatomy. Too many artists that still inexplicably, just don't understand / care how boobs work.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
While that one cover that seems to be the only image a fair few people bothered to look at does a poor job at properly representing Gwen's costume, the actual look of it in the comics is pretty great. Personally, I'm at least glad the the cover isn't as sensationally terribad as that one Spider-Woman cover most of us a probably familiar with. >_>

Heck, there was even a limited run of a hoodie modeled after the costume a few weeks back, and I was so pissed off at myself for not having the money to buy it. :(

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I quite like the baggy cowl/hoodie thing (which seems refreshingly pragmatic for a superhero comic book outfit), but I'm put off by the pandering, plunging neckline colour scheme that implies she is somehow wearing a flimsy cocktail dress at the same time.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I don't mind the costume design, but did they have to tint every frame pink? Jesus. It's like somebody spilled punch on the page.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
It's nice to see a bit of a change-up with the comics, especially since there are new stories to be told. Actually, now I kinda wanna spring for the Spider-verse mini series. Can anyone tell me if it's worth my time? I'm a sucker for these kinds of stories.