Spider-Man 2 Developer Launches $1 Kickstarter Project

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
CZ_Rage said:
Exactely. And if the counterpart is a Limited (which isn´t that hard to be founded nowadays) there is no personal risk involved even IF you sue them and IF you prove they screwed up and IF you win at court. The limited simply stops to exist, noone will repay you, or even your lawyer costs.
Your only chance would be that you prove it was a scam from the beginning, and that´s almost impossible.
Almost all scammers believe that, that's why there is a law against this.

lifting the corporate veil [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piercing_the_corporate_veil] is a legal action that a court can use to look beyond the legal fiction of a corporation, and recognize that it is practically an alter ego for it's (main) shareholder, whenever certain common sense conditions are met (Siphoning of corporate funds for personal use, Non-functioning corporate officers, etc).

CZ_Rage

May 10, 2013
Entitled said:
Almost all scammers believe that, that's why there is a law against this.
I guess you misunderstood what I wanted to say:

1. If the guys were only stupid or lacked the experience or wharever non-scamming reason prevented them from finishing the project, you have no legal hammer to come down on them if they are a Limited.

2. If they are scammers, and this can be proven, the law will come down on them - but it´s doubtful that you will be fully compensated as victim.

Better now?

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
CZ_Rage said:
I guess you misunderstood what I wanted to say:

1. If the guys were only stupid or lacked the experience or wharever non-scamming reason prevented them from finishing the project, you have no legal hammer to come down on them if they are a Limited.

2. If they are scammers, and this can be proven, the law will come down on them - but it´s doubtful that you will be fully compensated as victim.

Better now?
Oh, sorry, I used "scam" in a more general sense, as "they are intentionally asking for less money than they could make a game with away with", not as in "they never planned to make a game to begin with".

What I said still applies to the former, not just to proper scammers. If you created a Limited solely as a personal shield, likely there are enough loopholes that it can be broken down.

On #2, I agree that actually getting compensated is unlikely, (especially if they had bigger creditors, like banks or investors, who would get first dibs on their property even after a successful lawsuit.)

Though we are talking about a few dollars per person here anyways, so the important thing is not that everyone gets their money back, but that failure gets punished and needless risk-taking get discouraged.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
JohnHayne said:
synobal said:
It looks really fun, and I totally dig the art style. He also makes a good point about how spider-man games devolved from spider-man 2 I was always baffled why they never tried to recapture that gameplay again. I'll pick this game up when it comes out.
I find the web-swing mechanic from Ultimate Spider-man way better than that from Spider-man 2
It controlled better, but they removed the acrobatic aspect of it.

I always had more fun just playing as Venom after the story, anyway.

OT: I'm intrigued. Maybe a dystopian conspiracy story to string it together for context? A minimal focus on combat (or hell, none at all) would be nice, too. Variety is the spice of life, I'm excited to see what comes out of this.

CZ_Rage

May 10, 2013
@Entitled:

100% agreed now. Sorry if I write sometimes things that are hard to understand, I´m half Poland / half Czech native and not used to English at all...

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
If this doesn't hit the third stretch goal by the time I get home after work so I can put money towards this, I will be disappointed in the gaming community who loved Spider-Man 2

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
I purchased the Spiderman 3 game because I though, "Spiderman 2 rocked so Spiderman 3 will rock." The Spiderman 3 game sucked. The swinging was the best part of 2.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Spiderman 2 still holds a privileged spot on my game shelf. It's my therapy for whenever I have a stressful day.

So 10 dollars for you, Mr. Kickstarter!!!