Spider-Man 2 - Does whatever a spider can do

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The problem (for me anyway) is that you never really enter that flow like you did in the previous games (or the Arkham games), because your attention is always partially focused on whether the Ability or Gadget icons are lit up.
Oh I see... well I think I enter that flow because I'm not paying attention to the icons, I'm just focusing on regular attacks and then intermittently smash shoulder buttons to see what happens. Maybe I subconsciously worked around a poor design decision in order to have fun. Which, you know.. fine.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh I see... well I think I enter that flow because I'm not paying attention to the icons, I'm just focusing on regular attacks and then intermittently smash shoulder buttons to see what happens. Maybe I subconsciously worked around a poor design decision in order to have fun. Which, you know.. fine.
Do you mindlessly parry or do you time those? Wow easier in this game than something like DMC 3, the game will punish you for timing poorly. Also, spamming dodge isn't an option anymore (I can live with that fine), because there are certain attacks that are non-dodgeable and can only be parried.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Do you mindlessly parry or do you time those? Wow easier in this game than something like DMC 3, the game will punish you for timing poorly. Also, spamming dodge isn't an option anymore (I can live with that fine), because there are certain attacks that are non-dodgeable and can only be parried.
No parry and dodge I do for real- time it and everything. Took me a while to get the parry but I'm doing ok and I used it well to beat a major boss in my last play session so I'm pleased. It's only the abilities and gadgets that I mindlessly smash.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Miles is taking over the series moving forward after Peter Parker got one game in the this cannon.

Explains why Peter is beaten to shit while Miles barely struggles in this game. Why cant we just have the characters we know and love instead of these watered down racial swaps that end up being unable to have half the character as the original characters.

If they are going to put Miles in the front seat then they better have some balls to fuck him up with some stuff.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Miles is taking over the series moving forward after Peter Parker got one game in the this cannon.

Explains why Peter is beaten to shit while Miles barely struggles in this game. Why cant we just have the characters we know and love instead of these watered down racial swaps that end up being unable to have half the character as the original characters.

If they are going to put Miles in the front seat then they better have some balls to fuck him up with some stuff.
Especially considering there are setting up THREE villains specifically for Peter, I mean it’s definitely gonna be either Norman or Harry as the green goblin, and who do you think they’ll have more connection to? Let’s not also forget they are teasing Doc Ock breaking out.

I cam maybe understand Miles Going after Carnage, but something about him fighting other villains doesn’t feel right

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Especially considering there are setting up THREE villains specifically for Peter, I mean it’s definitely gonna be either Norman or Harry as the green goblin, and who do you think they’ll have more connection to? Let’s not also forget they are teasing Doc Ock breaking out.

I cam maybe understand Miles Going after Carnage, but something about him fighting other villains doesn’t feel right
They may go in a totally different direction or just have Peter be "gone" and force miles to deal with it.

Im not really upsetthatthey wanna do more Miles games...fine go crazy. But what is upsetting is the new racially diverse character always has to come at the cost of total disrespect to the established popular hero.

Stan Lee once said that the beauty of Spider-Man is that anyone could be under the mask. Race didnt matter because you didnt people didnt know who Spider-Man was (the populace not the readers). Peter's struggles were always about responsibility, growing up and finding a place in the world, things anyone could relate to. Miles has none of that.

The worldy struggles were human struggles that all could relate to. You didnt need to share a skin color to relate to losing a family member, a first love, the struggle to find a job or do good in school. We've become so focused on the race, gender, and sexuality of these characters that we forgot the struggles that made all of them human. All this race baiting and gender pandering does is alienate people and degrade the quality of the stories being told.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But what is upsetting is the new racially diverse character always has to come at the cost of total disrespect to the established popular hero.
No it doesn't. I don't keep up with every comic scene, but we all know that's not inherently true. There's been a few slip ups every now and then, not the disaster you and certain others like to exaggerate. Diversity is not the issue here. All you're doing is asinine speculation and having a hissy fit.

Stan Lee once said that the beauty of Spider-Man is that anyone could be under the mask. Race didnt matter because you didnt people didnt know who Spider-Man was (the populace not the readers). Peter's struggles were always about responsibility, growing up and finding a place in the world, things anyone could relate to. Miles has none of that.
Which version you talking about? The one from the comics, Spider-Verse, or Insomniac? Miles may have it more together here, but he has own struggles like anyone. I know I haven't played the game yet, but I've seen enough to know that Miles has own struggles different from Peter. Still struggles none the less. Either way you're wrong about Miles. If Miles makes others happy, then I have no right complain, nor cry about it. You may not be satisfied, but last I checked, these games and characters don't constantly and only appeal to you or me. Also, you forgot: Miles had to deal with an rich white asshole trying to gentrify his neighborhood (a predominantly black community and large district) and had to deal with a self-righteous best friend out for revenge in his solo game. His struggles aren't that different from Peter, and it's funny you conveniently forget about it. How about have a better memory next time?

We've become so focused on the race, gender, and sexuality of these characters that we forgot the struggles that made all of them human.
Define "we"? I am all for diversity within reason, but I don't shout and scream constantly, because I am playing as some white dude, nor white girl. The only ones who focused too much on race and gender are usually the people who hate seeing others different from them existing in a positive light, nor be a negative stereotype. I know there's those on the left or left leaning guilty as this on the opposite end, they're nowhere near as vocal and troubling as the ass hats hating on a character being black, female, gay/lesbian, trans or not looking "beautiful enough". Just a few days ago, two different shit heads biatched about Alan Wake 2 being "Alan Woke and a Boring Walking Simulator". You could tell one of the two never played the original (that had way more walking sections than the sequel). The other clearly played the original, but either forgot (NOT!) or intentionally downplayed issues with the first game. Nor can we forget about the piss ants crying because Aloy is lesbian and not a supermodel, nor is her girlfriend. Oh, and the thundering dumb racists crying about BLM in the minor final side quest brings about "dangerous politics" (supporting civil and racial rights and fighting discrimination), and that Insomniac have "no business talking about it" in Miles Morales. All the actual Spider-Man fans and Miles fans told those "fans" to fuck off, and they did. I agree.

All this race baiting and gender pandering does is alienate people and degrade the quality of the stories being told.
Not really. I know there's a shitty way to do things, but Spider-Man 2 and Miles Morales are not the case. Most projects aren't doing this and you know this. Don't what Kool-Aid you've been drinking. Alan Wake 2 succeeded in what it set out with Saga Anderson and Alan Wake. The game didn't put down either, and both characters have their proper development and respective arcs completed.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Which version you talking about? The one from the comics, Spider-Verse, or Insomniac?
Insomniac's, I know Miles has been done better before.

Define "we"? I am all for diversity within reason, but I don't shout and scream constantly, because I am playing as some white dude, nor white girl. The only ones who focused too much on race and gender are usually the people who hate seeing others different from them existing in a positive light, nor be a negative stereotype. I know there's those on the left or left leaning guilty as this on the opposite end, they're nowhere near as vocal and troubling as the ass hats hating on a character being black, female, gay/lesbian, trans or not looking "beautiful enough".
See that's the thing though man. I don't mind the diversity, or the inclusion, but the story has to be entertaining. When the story is trash, all it does it make that diveristy and inclusion bullshit stand out because it's clearly they are expecting me to like it just because it's "diverse" and not because it's actually good.

I know you hate me bring that shit up, but you gotta understand that I don't care what a character's race/gender/or sexuality is. I care that they are good characters. It's what I've preached from the beginning in that diversity and inclusion are natural results of better writing over all. You can't just put a woman in the lead role and make her gay and expect the rest of the film/show/or game to take care of itself. That's lazy garbage and it does nothing to help anything. And when I see things like Black Cat being Bi/gay/whatever now it annoys me because it is completely unearned. Why does she have an alternate sexuality? Well because Insomniac says so. There is no justification for it, they are just changing characters because they think that'll earn them social justice points.

Spider-Man 2 and Miles Morales are not the case.
Mile Morales little inbetween game was fantastic.

Spider-man 2 completely shits on both of these characters. It treats Peter like everything he has done and gone through is for nothing, and he spends the whole game getting his ass kicked and having his arcs rushed, like the venom suit changing his entire personality in the course one 1 mission. Meanwhile too much spotlight is given to Mary Jane to prove that she is somehow a capable badass woman or something. People complained that the Mary Jane stealth games sucked in the first game, and Insomniac doubled down and made us play even more missions? Why? Because fuck you for wanting to play as Spider-man in your Spider-man game, play this dumbass reporter and a deaf girl for no reason.

Then Miles' side is filled with helping gay kids ask each other out (actually a cute mission), listening to his deaf girlfriend tell him about how she spray painted some shit, a mission about praising bi-sexual artists of color, and recovering a school mascot. I'm supposed to be fucking SPIDER-MAN! It's a bunch of fluff nonsense. In the first game the side activities were all about Spider-man doing Spider-man things and focused on challenging the player's skills. Things like races, chasing drones, combat challenges, clearing enemies bases, stopping crimes.

Most of that isn't here in Spider-Man 2, and what is here is significantly reduced in volume in favor of the aforementioned social missions.

Most projects aren't doing this and you know this
Most projects are doing this, look at shows like Batwoman, The Arrow, movies like Charlies Angels, I mean Snow White is so fucked that they wont even release it, Marvel's latest phase has been garbage and it's gotten so bad that they are in talks to bring back all the original Avengers cast back for another movie. People are not buying this shit anymore, it has gotten way to heavy handed and it needs a major adjustment.

Hopefully things will turn around and stuff with start to walk a better middle ground, telling good stories without making tolken characters.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
If possible, could someone explain why Miles would be taking over the series without any spoilers?

I haven't played the game, but on face value, that sounds like a mistake.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
See that's the thing though man. I don't mind the diversity, or the inclusion, but the story has to be entertaining. When the story is trash, all it does it make that diveristy and inclusion bullshit stand out because it's clearly they are expecting me to like it just because it's "diverse" and not because it's actually good.

I know you hate me bring that shit up, but you gotta understand that I don't care what a character's race/gender/or sexuality is. I care that they are good characters. It's what I've preached from the beginning in that diversity and inclusion are natural results of better writing over all. You can't just put a woman in the lead role and make her gay and expect the rest of the film/show/or game to take care of itself. That's lazy garbage and it does nothing to help anything. And when I see things like Black Cat being Bi/gay/whatever now it annoys me because it is completely unearned. Why does she have an alternate sexuality? Well because Insomniac says so. There is no justification for it, they are just changing characters because they think that'll earn them social justice points.
I care for good characters too, but I am not constantly flip out when things don't always go my way. You say you don't care, but more the willing believe click baiters, out-of-context Twitters posts, and those alt-rights jerks that cry about "forced diversity" in comics or other media at the drop of a hate. And once again, Insomniac confirmed Black Cat is bi in 2021. It doesn't ruin her character, and another version of the character is bi. My older brother wasn't complaining, so I don't see the big deal. Here's a hint in his case: it wasn't because of "social justice points". Congratulations, you're using rhetoric from the usual people crying things being different from them. Good job.

Most projects are doing this, look at shows like Batwoman, The Arrow, movies like Charlies Angels, I mean Snow White is so fucked that they wont even release it, Marvel's latest phase has been garbage and it's gotten so bad that they are in talks to bring back all the original Avengers cast back for another movie. People are not buying this shit anymore, it has gotten way to heavy handed and it needs a major adjustment.
That's not a lot, nor all media. You get your shit gear and actually look, and not rely on some YouTube grifters telling you how to think and feel. You definitely don't look at all. Shows how little you actually know and only go off of a few examples that didn't last long.

People complained that the Mary Jane stealth games sucked in the first game, and Insomniac doubled down and made us play even more missions? Why?
I can agree to that. Even my brother doesn't like the MJ missions.

play this dumbass reporter and a deaf girl for no reason.
That's an optional side mission. Touch it or don't.

Then Miles' side is filled with helping gay kids ask each other out (actually a cute mission), listening to his deaf girlfriend tell him about how she spray painted some shit, a mission about praising bi-sexual artists of color, and recovering a school mascot. I'm supposed to be fucking SPIDER-MAN! It's a bunch of fluff nonsense. In the first game the side activities were all about Spider-man doing Spider-man things and focused on challenging the player's skills. Things like races, chasing drones, combat challenges, clearing enemies bases, stopping crimes.
Sometimes the little things are just as important as the big things. Nothing new in superheroes story, and most of that does not bother me.
Hopefully things will turn around and stuff with start to walk a better middle ground, telling good stories without making token characters.
That's already happened, you just don't pay attention and need to get out of your own way.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
If possible, could someone explain why Miles would be taking over the series without any spoilers?

Well since I don't a PS5 or these games, I can only conjecture (based on what I know of both characters and Spider-Verse) that Insomniac's intention is to transition from Peter Park to Miles Morales as a form of passing the torch from old to new. It would make sense since the games are not obligated to continue on indefinitely as comics do so there's no need to keep dragging Peter along for this ride if he's too old or decided - not unjustifiably - that he's done his bit and New York can get fucked.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well since I don't a PS5 or these games, I can only conjecture (based on what I know of both characters and Spider-Verse) that Insomniac's intention is to transition from Peter Park to Miles Morales as a form of passing the torch from old to new. It would make sense since the games are not obligated to continue on indefinitely as comics do so there's no need to keep dragging Peter along for this ride if he's too old or decided - not unjustifiably - that he's done his bit and New York can get fucked.
There's been a lot of passing of the torch now in gaming:

• Dante to Nero
  • Kratos to Atreus
  • Bayonetta to Viola -Platinum might backpedal on that.
Now Peter to Miles. That's nothing new (Spider-Verse and Comics), and Peter Parker has so many games under his belt. Him possibly not being around, or not being involved as much doesn't bother me.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I dunno, I can't see how Insomniac could have moved fast enough in the second game to have Peter at a point in his life where he's okay as moving on from Spider-man.

Pete may have been Spidey for quite a long time in the Insomniac universe, but as of the first game he's only 23. He hasn't married MJ, he hasn't faced his nemesis (as far as I know), he honestly still seems like a very fresh Spider-man.

Maybe I'd have a different opinion if I actually played the game, but given how little time has passed between games, it seems odd to end a trilogy with a different main protagonist.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

Because that's likely the only way to keep this gaming franchise fresh. This is Spider-Man, so it can't change settings, it will always need to take place in New York. This is Spider-Man, so it will always need to have webswinging. Whereas other game franchises like God of War, The Last of Us, and Horizon can change venues, or characters, or change up the gameplay with new weapons and powers, Spider-Man can't really. It will always be stagnant.

The only real change they can provide is have different characters be playable as Spider-Man. After this second game and what it sets up it'll just feel like Peter going through the motions. Sure, it could be fun and awesome seeing Peter confront certain old and new enemies, but what are they going to do? Target M.J. again, or somebody else Peter cares for again? Even in Spider-Man 2 we have Peter conveying that having to go through this again is just too much for him, and if you've seen the end of Spider-Man PS4 I'm sure you know what I mean.

Heck, the movies themselves could only go for so long till that version of Peter Parker felt tapped out. This is the problem with superhero characters (at least, the ones owned by Marvel and DC); they're never allowed an actual ending.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Because that's likely the only way to keep this gaming franchise fresh. This is Spider-Man, so it can't change settings, it will always need to take place in New York. This is Spider-Man, so it will always need to have webswinging. Whereas other game franchises like God of War, The Last of Us, and Horizon can change venues, or characters, or change up the gameplay with new weapons and powers, Spider-Man can't really. It will always be stagnant.

The only real change they can provide is have different characters be playable as Spider-Man. After this second game and what it sets up it'll just feel like Peter going through the motions. Sure, it could be fun and awesome seeing Peter confront certain old and new enemies, but what are they going to do? Target M.J. again, or somebody else Peter cares for again? Even in Spider-Man 2 we have Peter conveying that having to go through this again is just too much for him, and if you've seen the end of Spider-Man PS4 I'm sure you know what I mean.

Heck, the movies themselves could only go for so long till that version of Peter Parker felt tapped out. This is the problem with superhero characters (at least, the ones owned by Marvel and DC); they're never allowed an actual ending.
I don't disagree with Peter needing to be phased out eventually, but after his second game?

I get how there is a concern about things getting stagnant, as a Batman fan I am sick to death of seeing the Waynes gunner down, but I don't think it's a controversial thing so say that Insomniac Spidey is the best version of Spider-man we've ever seen. On that basis alone, I think it's worth seeing his full story play out, no matter how re-hashed it might feel. Anyway, my original post was intended to understand the plot reasons for why Peter would want to hang up the web shooters. Having only played the first game I can't imagine how Peter could end his story satisfyingly after only one sequel, but hey weirder things have happened and Insomniac clearly have some talented writers.

And if the plan is to keep things fresh, Miles has been playable as much as Peter. And frankly, his powers and abilities are even more stagnant than Peter's gadget-based shtick. If they want to remove a playable character to add someone new which I have heard will be Cindy Moon aka Silk , I'd prefer it be Miles.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I don't disagree with Peter needing to be phased out eventually, but after his second game?
Considering the first game had Aunt May and this game has Harry (no spoilers what happens to him, but it's pretty clear he's the emotional centre piece) who's left for Pete to become attached to? One could say the first game jumped the gun with Aunt May, and now it kinda needs to top itself with each new game.

I get how there is a concern about things getting stagnant, as a Batman fan I am sick to death of seeing the Waynes gunner down, but I don't think it's a controversial thing so say that Insomniac Spidey is the best version of Spider-man we've ever seen.
Well... maybe a little bit controversial, but then I'm not a big Spider-Man or superhero fan. I remember walking out of Across the Spider-Verse thinking 'wow, this movie is going to make the Spider-Man 2 videogame look like the most plain jane shit', and yeah, that mostly rings true now that I finished it.

And if the plan is to keep things fresh, Miles has been playable as much as Peter. And frankly, his powers and abilities are even more stagnant than Peter's gadget-based shtick. If they want to remove a playable character to add someone new which I have heard will be Cindy Moon aka Silk , I'd prefer it be Miles.
Depends less on the powers and gadgets and more on how it's implemented in gameplay. I didn't use the gadgets in the first game at all, because it stopped the flow of the combat dead in its tracks. In Miles Morales the venom powers added a lot to the base combat of the first game. Spider-Man 2 however kinda mucks things up, firstly by giving Peter venom (Miles' venom not symbiote venom) equivalent powers in order to match up with Miles instead of his own different and unique abilities. Seriously, instead of the big dumb spider claws they could have given Peter the suit powers from the first game to pool from. Secondly, the way SM2 stores the abilities and gadgets for use feels like you're just firing them off without much thought.

Insomniac needs to do a better job in the next game with building on the set spider abilities for these characters.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Considering the first game had Aunt May and this game has Harry (no spoilers what happens to him, but it's pretty clear he's the emotional centre piece) who's left for Pete to become attached to? One could say the first game jumped the gun with Aunt May, and now it kinda needs to top itself with each new game.
Why does the third game need to have someone for Peter to be attached to? I think there's a lot that could be done with Peter moving on from being Spider-man just for himself and because he wants to. And also, Mary Jane. I don't know what they did with her in 2 though.

Well... maybe a little bit controversial, but then I'm not a big Spider-Man or superhero fan. I remember walking out of Across the Spider-Verse thinking 'wow, this movie is going to make the Spider-Man 2 videogame look like the most plain jane shit', and yeah, that mostly rings true now that I finished it.
I should have been more clear. Insomniac is the best version of Peter Parker Spider-man. But now that you bring it up, having Miles take the reigns doesn't seem like a great idea when he will always be an inferior to Spider-verse Miles.

Depends less on the powers and gadgets and more on how it's implemented in gameplay. I didn't use the gadgets in the first game at all, because it stopped the flow of the combat dead in its tracks. In Miles Morales the venom powers added a lot to the base combat of the first game.
We'll have to agree to disagree. My perspective is the complete opposite. I fucking loved how gadgets in Spidey 1 can just be used any time against anyone, even bosses. You could easily incorporate it into your flow.

Miles on the other hand constantly freezes you in place to pull off his dumb electricity powers. I despised how his powers made a mess visually and spatially when you use them, I always had to pause after using them just to reassess where everything was after the lightshow.