Spider-Man 2 - Does whatever a spider can do

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Why does the third game need to have someone for Peter to be attached to? I think there's a lot that could be done with Peter moving on from being Spider-man just for himself and because he wants to. And also, Mary Jane. I don't know what they did with her in 2 though.
Because that's pretty much all the character really has. It always has been. He's Spider-Man so he can't actually grow and change. He can't settle down, do something different. And as Spider-Man he can't veer away from being the 'with great power comes great responsibility cuz Uncle Ben died' Spider-Man.

More than that though, Spider-Man is a brand. The supposed passing of the torch to Miles is allowed only in so far as Peter always being ready to jump back in as Spider-Man at a moments notice. Any actual change to Spider-Man, whether it be the symbiote suit, settling down, or fully pursuing a life of science, will only last so long till he's back again as the regular old webslinger.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
If possible, could someone explain why Miles would be taking over the series without any spoilers?

I haven't played the game, but on face value, that sounds like a mistake.
Peter wants a break so he can just be Peter. Leaving the city to Miles.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Im not saying that heroes dont do these things. But this is a video game and they seem to have scraped as much Spider-Manning as possible to replace with with things like this. Why are their no traversal races, why are there very few street crimes to stop (in fact the car chasing crime got reduced and basically plays itself now). These events should have been expanded. Not reduced. There is way too much slice of life type content and not enough stopping bad guys.

I already listed the long list of bad guys from 2018s game and most of the bad guys in Spider-Man 2 are either reformed or die off screen. Which also limits the potential enemy and gand types you can fight in citywide crimes. Every cool thing from the first game seems to have been dramatically reduced and i dont understand why.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Because that's pretty much all the character really has. It always has been. He's Spider-Man so he can't actually grow and change. He can't settle down, do something different. And as Spider-Man he can't veer away from being the 'with great power comes great responsibility cuz Uncle Ben died' Spider-Man.

More than that though, Spider-Man is a brand. The supposed passing of the torch to Miles is allowed only in so far as Peter always being ready to jump back in as Spider-Man at a moments notice. Any actual change to Spider-Man, whether it be the symbiote suit, settling down, or fully pursuing a life of science, will only last so long till he's back again as the regular old webslinger.
I mean Green Goblin has plenty to tramatize Peter with. He doesnt need someone he knows die every game. Having your dead best friend's Dad become a monster would also fuck you up. Only for your friend to be alive and become the monster to replace his dad.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I mean Green Goblin has plenty to tramatize Peter with. He doesnt need someone he knows die every game. Having your dead best friend's Dad become a monster would also fuck you up. Only for your friend to be alive and become the monster to replace his dad.
How so? This usually comes down to 'villain finds out hero's weakness, which is a loved one, and proceeds to threaten loved one with murder'. Ultimately these superhero franchises can't help but cycle through pre-existing villains and allies. Oh Doc Ock's back, and I guess now Harry can be the Goblin, oh snap M.J. was a clone of Hydro Man.

Maybe I'm being too cynical here, maybe this is why superhero comics never did much for me. The only superhero comic I ever liked was Invincible, and while it has its issues here and there, it actually has an ending. It has a story to tell, and once that story is told it ends. No continuation past the main plot, no passing of the torch, no spin-offs, it just ends. *sigh of relief*

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Because that's likely the only way to keep this gaming franchise fresh. This is Spider-Man, so it can't change settings, it will always need to take place in New York. This is Spider-Man, so it will always need to have webswinging. Whereas other game franchises like God of War, The Last of Us, and Horizon can change venues, or characters, or change up the gameplay with new weapons and powers, Spider-Man can't really. It will always be stagnant.

The only real change they can provide is have different characters be playable as Spider-Man. After this second game and what it sets up it'll just feel like Peter going through the motions. Sure, it could be fun and awesome seeing Peter confront certain old and new enemies, but what are they going to do? Target M.J. again, or somebody else Peter cares for again? Even in Spider-Man 2 we have Peter conveying that having to go through this again is just too much for him, and if you've seen the end of Spider-Man PS4 I'm sure you know what I mean.

Heck, the movies themselves could only go for so long till that version of Peter Parker felt tapped out. This is the problem with superhero characters (at least, the ones owned by Marvel and DC); they're never allowed an actual ending.
I’ve never been the biggest Spider-Man fan so might be missing something when I ask, why does he need to stay in New York? I mean, Miles/Peter/whoever could easily just take their spider suit with them, hop on a plane for some R&R or sight seeing, wind up in Beijing or ooh Tokyo, getting wind of Yakuza crimes or something and boom, new setting and story. There could even be an angle about being a fish out of water and needing to find an ally and gaining their trust or something. With some new spidey tech the language barrier could be broken as well. Or just stick to another U.S. city like Chicago or something if getting approval from foreign governments is a roadblock.

I’m sure it wouldn’t be the first time a comic book character strayed from the comics.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I’ve never been the biggest Spider-Man fan so might be missing something when I ask, why does he need to stay in New York? I mean, Miles/Peter/whoever could easily just take their spider suit with them, hop on a plane for some R&R or sight seeing, wind up in Beijing or ooh Tokyo, getting wind of Yakuza crimes or something and boom, new setting and story. There could even be an angle about being a fish out of water and needing to find an ally and gaining their trust or something. With some new spidey tech the language barrier could be broken as well. Or just stick to another U.S. city like Chicago or something if getting approval from foreign governments is a roadblock.

I’m sure it wouldn’t be the first time a comic book character strayed from the comics.
He lives in New York. That's really it I think. And going to other cities might result in him stepping on the toes of that particular city's hero (this being Marvel I'm sure most notable cities around the world have their own designated hero). New York is his stomping ground, and there's no need for him to go somewhere else, unless it's for some interdimensional journey to save the universe or whatever.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
> I know you hate me bring that shit up, but you gotta understand that I don't care what a character's race/gender/or sexuality is.

lol

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Im not saying that heroes dont do these things. But this is a video game and they seem to have scraped as much Spider-Manning as possible to replace with with things like this. Why are their no traversal races, why are there very few street crimes to stop (in fact the car chasing crime got reduced and basically plays itself now). These events should have been expanded. Not reduced. There is way too much slice of life type content and not enough stopping bad guys.

I already listed the long list of bad guys from 2018s game and most of the bad guys in Spider-Man 2 are either reformed or die off screen. Which also limits the potential enemy and gand types you can fight in citywide crimes. Every cool thing from the first game seems to have been dramatically reduced and i dont understand why.
And this is why none of these games are worth the $70 asking price. I don't mind to reduce car chases, because that can only been done so many times, but they could have made up for with other activities that aren't fluff. Though most of the fluff doesn't bother me in this case.
Once again, Sony, Microsoft, and most of the other big publishers can screw off of this.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States

Some characters and stories are just very much tied to a place and it is part of the character's whole thing.

Sure Spiderman can have adventures outside of NY but those would be one-off. The "friendly neighborhood Spiderman" thing has meaning because it's general home-spun human values in a city that is not known for that, the "concrete jungle."

I think the fact that so much of the MCU Avengers stuff is in NYC just makes it more boring too so it's like why is everything happening in this one city, I get the annoyance. And I don't know enough about Iron Man and Jessica Jones and all those to make a similar point about their characters in relation to their place.

My favorite non-superhero TV example of the importance of place is the romantic sci-fi show Outlander, which is about a woman from WW2 going back in time to 18th century Scotland and having adventures with dude that is like exactly the straight woman fantasy of such a dude. It's corny but fun and it works in large part because Scotland is the 3rd major character. And then in season 3 or 4 or something they leave Scotland and the show turns to absolute shit (and yes it follows the books but I ain't reading that so I don't care). I imagine Spiderman like that outside of NYC.

Compared to say, the Hulk, who- and here I'm getting my lore from the old TV show- is a wanderer. Bruce Banner is compelling as a drifter, which plays into a very different but equally important American character trope.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
> I know you hate me bring that shit up, but you gotta understand that I don't care what a character's race/gender/or sexuality is.

lol
Yeah he's the one who keeps bringing up like it's a problem more than half the time. Or it gets overly defensive when people of a different gender raise actual good points or they don't line up with his opinions, yet they usually have the evidence to back it up. Or he'll derail the conversation that has nothing to do with anything because he knows he has nothing otherwise to stand on. He's done this so many times.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
How so? This usually comes down to 'villain finds out hero's weakness, which is a loved one, and proceeds to threaten loved one with murder'. Ultimately these superhero franchises can't help but cycle through pre-existing villains and allies. Oh Doc Ock's back, and I guess now Harry can be the Goblin, oh snap M.J. was a clone of Hydro Man.
Well i mean it is his best friends dad so the struggle of how to handle it was what used to give peter a hard time. These days who the hell knows how theyll handle it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
These days who the hell knows how theyll handle it.
Exactly. Which is why it's pointless a cry or spilled milk? There's no point in being constantly afraid of change or something being different. They can go for it. We got enough Peter Parker Spider-Man games as it is. I don't want Peter to go away, at the same time. I don't mind if he takes a break and let someone else take the reigns for a while. Like I said before, we seen plenty of passing of the torch this console generation and last console generation. Let the new generation begin.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I mean, they've been firing a spiderman game every other year now (or on a more extended timeline, every 2-3 years)
(Not even counting his appearances in Midnight Sun or Avengers or the card game thing), along with 3 movites and being a headliner in the Avengers stuff.

Mile doesn't completely go away from that over-exposure, but its at least a step or two in a different direction.

Video games (at the AAA budget) also always have to function as an onboard even as sequels. So one way of doing that is swapping in the new character (mixed results historically notwithstanding). Which is also why they never seem to get too far from the "main version" for an established character (IE Spidey in New York,) and often hang around an origin point where the character doesn't have a huge history (The Arkham Batman games did this, and if you run them by a non-Batman fan are confusing AF about who all the characters are.).

Adaptations (especially of comic books) also have the problem that even if you expected people to just look up the other ones, they'd stumble into the confusing 80 year overgrowth of 20 odd continuities and get lost.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
From the Senior Creative Director:

So it looks like Miles ISN'T completely taking over the spider-man role? Now that I think about it, the ending did indicate Peter should take a break (probably for the best considering what he went through), and not completely pass on the torch. This seems to make all those villains set up much more sense.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
From the Senior Creative Director:

So it looks like Miles ISN'T completely taking over the spider-man role? Now that I think about it, the ending did indicate Peter should take a break (probably for the best considering what he went through), and not completely pass on the torch. This seems to make all those villains set up much more sense.
They probably didnt like the fan response to that news. Thankfully it is early enough to change course for those games.