Spider-Man Finally Revealed in Latest Civil War Trailer

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Hawki said:
Everyone's talking about Spidey's voice, but what about how his mask's eyes seem to shrink as he speaks? How does that even work?
Considering the subtle sound that's heard when his eyes squint, it's obviously tech.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I, uh...I actually like Spider-Man in this trailer. I like that the costume looks like spandex, and I think his pubescent voice is very fitting for a nerd whose next line is probably going to be something like, "I am so sorry about this, guys, I'm a big fan of all your work!" And then probably a joke about how he doesn't know who Falcon is.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
My problem is moreso that he looks fake. Like complete CGI or a heavily touched up actor in costume.

Is that an actual person in costume?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Its the suit Stark designed so it has eyes on it with movable camera like shutters. Though whether those eyes record or not like a camera i dont know. Would be fun if that was the case as it would mean Stark could use him as a drone on the battlefield.

Zenja

Jan 16, 2013
Something Amyss said:
Silverbeard said:
Wait wait, I thought Spidey couldn't appear in Marvel movies because of some legal claptrap that I couldn't wrap my head around even if I tried. Where did all this come from?
Marvel and Sony announced a deal like a year ago. Sony still has rights now Marvel does as well.
I am pretty sure it works like this: Marvel has the rights to use Spidey as cameos, Sony retains the rights to Spiderman titled movies.

I think this thread proves people's scoffing at ghostbusters isn't sexist. People scoffing at Spidey's 'cheap costume' and people scoffing at Spideys voice. They probably just hate teenage boys. Spidey is supposed to be a teenager, always has. This has been a typical '28 year old playing a 17 year old' hollywood thing. Spidey is supposed to sound young. Many people in the comics know he is a kid under the mask simply by talking to him. Also, as for the 'fake CGI looking costume', here is a real photo of someone in spandex.

Looks like spandex to me. Although the eyes moving I am also waiting to see how or if they explain that. Would be cool if they could zoom in and out for his vision. Like binoculars or something.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Zenja said:
I think this thread proves people's scoffing at ghostbusters isn't sexist.
Except that's not an apples-to-apples comparison. People hacven't been having a hissyfit since Spider-Man was announced. The dislike bar isn't overwhelmingly negative (and is barely visible) People aren't screaming that Spider-Man can't be funny. The response isn't even in the same sport, let alone the same ballpark.

Maybe you should look at why you seem to be so invested in proving this to be "not sexist." Because the excuses you've offered across two threads now are pretty weak.

Zenja

Jan 16, 2013
Something Amyss said:
Zenja said:
Except that's not an apples-to-apples comparison. People hacven't been having a hissyfit since Spider-Man was announced. The dislike bar isn't overwhelmingly negative (and is barely visible) People aren't screaming that Spider-Man can't be funny. The response isn't even in the same sport, let alone the same ballpark.

Maybe you should look at why you seem to be so invested in proving this to be "not sexist." Because the excuses you've offered across two threads now are pretty weak.
Two threads? Pretty sure I only commented in 1, I purposely didn't post in the one. Also, people aren't saying that this movie looks like crap, but spiderman and this one was a passing comment that was a jab at the politics surrounding ghostbusters. I could ask you why you are so invested in a small comment in the Civil War thread you can't just let it go. You seem awfully invested in proving that it is. Or at least that I am wrong saying it's not.

If I found this to be real evidence I would have ran my happy butt back into the other thread and offered it. Trust me, I would have. This little comment I would have thought to have no discussion value though as it was more of a jab at politics than anything else.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Zenja said:
Something Amyss said:
Silverbeard said:
Wait wait, I thought Spidey couldn't appear in Marvel movies because of some legal claptrap that I couldn't wrap my head around even if I tried. Where did all this come from?
Marvel and Sony announced a deal like a year ago. Sony still has rights now Marvel does as well.
I am pretty sure it works like this: Marvel has the rights to use Spidey as cameos, Sony retains the rights to Spiderman titled movies.
Spidey is getting a solo movie in the MCU in 2017 or 2018.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Something Amyss said:
Zenja said:

Don't like a thing that has guys in it: Fanboyism. Don't like a thing that has women in it: Sexism.

Convenient that we can't openly dislike something just because its main characters are part of a particular demographic. That's not weak logic at all...

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Not sure about the new Spidey suit. I know Marvel wants to distance themselves from the previous incarnations, but I sort of miss the texture.
Yeah, I think the suit was one of the best things from the Raimi films.

Anyway, not that my opinion matters either way, considering I've had very little interest in Marvel's cineverse for the past three years or so and I'll take any excuse to poo-poo on it. I'm sure the film will be just as enjoyable as all of the other ones have been for people.

EDIT: Also, I'd just find it funny to note that in the comics, Peter was canonically something like 26 years old during Civil War. Obviously they can do whatever they want for the films, and I guess this is supposed to be yet another reboot for the character so it makes a bit of sense that they're making him young and unestablished, but just a bit of silly trivia for the people who always go on about how he's always supposed to be a kid.

Nov 28, 2007
Kenbo Slice said:
Zenja said:
Something Amyss said:
Silverbeard said:
2017, but that movie is going to be produced by Sony with Marvel's input.

Zenja

Jan 16, 2013
Kenbo Slice said:
Zenja said:
Something Amyss said:
Silverbeard said:
You, sir, are correct. Seems Sony is now just going to be a co-producer. That is exciting.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
According to James Gunn...

http://geektyrant.com/news/james-gunn-says-tom-hollands-spider-man-is-the-best-spider-man-ever?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

Also, this photo:

Is not CGI...That is actually Tom Holland in Costume

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
That is fucking awesome all the folk in here complaining about how it looks like a bad CGI and it turns out it is a real person in a real suit. Anyway I was more pumped to see some action with Antman doing Antman stuff, i.e running about while really really small.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Laughing Man said:
That is fucking awesome all the folk in here complaining about how it looks like a bad CGI and it turns out it is a real person in a real suit. Anyway I was more pumped to see some action with Antman doing Antman stuff, i.e running about while really really small.
Yeh, i think my comment killed the thread as no one had anything to complain about xD

ChaoGuy2006

Sep 6, 2014
I actually liked the new suit. Yes, I think the Sony one(s) looked more high tech and durable (and actually, why isn't Tony giving Parker some techno-lycra that is resilient?), and this looks a bit more amateurish. Bar the eyes.
Which makes sense since Parker is just starting out. It's a "mark 1" costume.

Now the eyes are a REALLY clever feature, letting his mask be very emotional like in the comics/cartoons. They should have been bigger (like in the Sony ones) to avoid it looking like an amateur costume, but maybe it'll grow on me. As long as they can justify the special lenses, then I'm happy.

My major gripe is: WHY SPOIL IT NOW?!
This could have been a huge moment in the movie, dropping jaws everywhere. Sure everyone would speculate "will he turn up? won't he?" but it feels like they put him in just to advertise the fact Marvel got the license back.
Just like how Black Panther (and a few others?) are debuting now instead of in their own movie X months from now.
If the plot makes sense, and it's kick-ass, fine. I don't want these movies just being adverts for 2 - 3 other movies down the line.

The Raw Shark

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Nov 19, 2014
Hate the voice.
However the suit...the fact that it makes me think of the 60s Spiderman makes for comedy gold.
I mean think about it with that mindset, instead of this innocent little teenage Spiderman you're imagining the raunchy and abrasive 60s Spiderman from the memes. Just think of it.
You may hate it.
But it's the only glorious image that I see of it.