Spider-Man, Mister Rogers, and More are Keeping Toronto's Streets Safe

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Spider-Man, Mister Rogers, and More are Keeping Toronto's Streets Safe

A local artist is altering Toronto's street signs with comic and TV characters.

In comic books, there's usually a hero to save the day. One notable exception was Batman's replacement in the 90's, who once let some holiday shoppers get mugged so they'd learn that the world is a dangerous place (Movie Bob's right, the 90's sucked). In the real world, we either have to rely on the police or your local neighborhood watch program. Over the last few years, a Toronto artist has been blurring the lines between fantasy and reality by modifying the neighborhood watch signs around the city to include various pop culture heroes.

Instead of the traditional neighborhood watch logo, the artist, known only by the pseudonym Andrew Lamb, adds the comforting image of everyone from Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four to Mister Rogers. He's delved pretty deep into popular culture as well, pulling up everyone from Bruce Willis to the Care Bears. Lamb's been up to this for years now, and you can see every sign he's done on his [a href=http://instagram.com/dcmism]Instagram page[/a].

[gallery=2749]

Janet Sherbanowski, the executive director of the organization that runs the Neighborhood Watch programs, is actually ok with Lamb's work. "Anything that brings notice to our signs and our work is good," she told [a href=http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/05/28/mysterious-artist-plots-to-deter-criminals-with-childhood-nostalgia-on-neighbourhood-watch-signs/]the National Post[/a]. While the authorities seem to be chill with the clever vandalism, Lamb's keeping his true identity under wraps just in case.

Source: [a href=http://instagram.com/dcmism]Andrew Lamb[/a] via [a href=http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/05/28/mysterious-artist-plots-to-deter-criminals-with-childhood-nostalgia-on-neighbourhood-watch-signs/]National Post[/a]

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Those signs are made of so much win.

I think all that's missing is a Captain Planet sign to help discourage littering.

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Misterian said:
Those signs are made of so much win.

I think all that's missing is a Captain Planet sign to help discourage littering.
Actually, he [a href=http://instagram.com/p/elOkxIzI94/]did that one too[/a].

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Funny, I thought the one keeping Toronto safe was none other than that masked mystery man, The Red Panda!

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Oh, the money I would pay to see Judge Dredd confronting a burglar in the suburbs of Toronto.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Ldude893 said:
Oh, the money I would pay to see Judge Dredd confronting a burglar in the suburbs of Toronto.
I'm throwing money at the screen, but nothing is happening.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
I actually saw some of those recently when I was out with friends. However, I've only seen them near the Kensington Market area. Then again, if there is any area that would need Neighbourhood Watch protection, it would be Kensington Market

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Eternal_Lament said:
I actually saw some of those recently when I was out with friends. However, I've only seen them near the Kensington Market area. Then again, if there is any area that would need Neighbourhood Watch protection, it would be Kensington Market
Just googled Kensington Market, Toronto...... I now want to go there. It looks pretty cool to outside eyes.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
I remember the last time those came together.
It all started when old Godzilla was hopping around Tokyo City like a big playground when suddenly Batman burst from the shade and hit Godzilla with a Bat-grenade.

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Funny, I thought the one keeping Toronto safe was none other than that masked mystery man, The Red Panda!
What.

You're not supposed to know about the Red Panda.

My Hipster sensibilities are ruined.

Anyways; this is pretty cool. Very... well, speaking as Canadian here, very Toronto.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Better then that creepy ass eye logo you see everywhere nowadays. Dammit I want a John McClane sign on my block!

That Conan one made me laugh so hard!

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
wooty said:
Eternal_Lament said:
Just googled Kensington Market, Toronto...... I now want to go there. It looks pretty cool to outside eyes.
During the day it's fine...it's more at night you have to be a bit more cautious. Or, at the very least, I find it's at night when the park there gets super sketchy

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
So Toronto is being protected by people that don't exist?

Soonds like a good time to break into the crime business, eh?

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Because nothing screams "criminals beware" like a gentle old man in a sweater.

Rex Dark said:
I remember the last time those came together.
It all started when old Godzilla was hopping around Tokyo City like a big playground when suddenly Batman burst from the shade and hit Godzilla with a Bat-grenade.
Oh, now I get it.

Mr. Rogers in a bloodstained sweater.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
O, Canada!

Janet Sherbanowski's response to this was very apropos! Tolerance and seeing the good in things :)