Spider-Man's Girlfriend Turning Webslinger in Marvel's Spider-Gwen

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
CrazyBlaze said:
This one should be easy. Its the basic Spider Man story but with Gwen instead of Peter. The only thing you might want to read is Edge Of Spiderverse #2. Its the second of a four part series that showcases various different Spidermen in the Multiverse. Each is standalone so you don't really have to worry.
Edge os Spider-verse is a five part series not four ;) ... for part five I give you :p one robot, one pilot, one sentinent radioactive spider... together they are ---> SP//dr (wrote by Gerard Way)

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
damn, sorry, double post :S

Edit: by the way, in Spider-Gwen universe (Edge of Spider-verse #2) Peter Parker tries to be powerful/important like Spider-Woman, becomes The Lizard and dies in a confrontation with Gwen who now is wanted for killing Parker

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...That actually sounds pretty interesting, wonder if it's been tried before... The name could use a bit of work, though...

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I always liked alternate universe/genderbend versions of things. I'm not into comics but it still sounds interesting, I'd be more likely to watch a cartoon or play a game about it though. Is this the Spider-woman comic that the internet got into an indignant rage over the cover because of her ass crack? That was fucking hilarious, like they don't realize that comic book heroes whether male or female are drawn naked and have their suits painted on.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Well um, color me intrigued. Yeah I'm being serious. To hell with Peter lets see what underdog Gwen can do with great responsibility.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm ok with this as it does sound really interesting "what if" alternative reality. Even then her costume is total rad!

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
I'm down with this. They've got a potentially really good idea; don't disappoint us, Marvel!

Aerotrain

Sep 7, 2014
Spider-Gwen? Sure but I question the name choice. It's an alright pun but going all the way with it and putting it on the cover? I dunno.

Snydeclyde

Jun 23, 2012
doubt it, most people who watch the movies don't know or care about the comics.

If you mention say Apocalypse to the average person who has seen all the x-men movies most of them would have no idea who you are talking about.

Hell I think most of them would be put off by how powerful Magneto and Gene Gray are in the comics.
This is unfortunately quite true,

I'm a prime example of the apocalypse scenario mentioned, had no idea who he was when he appeared in that scene,
my mate had to explain it.

I think most people know how powerful Magneto is though.

To get more OT, I think Spider Gwen is a cool idea (dodgy name though), always nice to get more female superheroes as well.

Captcha: stinky feet
Weirdly accurate...

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Snydeclyde said:
doubt it, most people who watch the movies don't know or care about the comics.

If you mention say Apocalypse to the average person who has seen all the x-men movies most of them would have no idea who you are talking about.

Hell I think most of them would be put off by how powerful Magneto and Gene Gray are in the comics.
This is unfortunately quite true,

I'm a prime example of the apocalypse scenario mentioned, had no idea who he was when he appeared in that scene,
my mate had to explain it.

I think most people know how powerful Magneto is though.

To get more OT, I think Spider Gwen is a cool idea (dodgy name though), always nice to get more female superheroes as well.

Captcha: stinky feet
Weirdly accurate...
movie magneto is not one for flipping magnetic poles of the planet, melting the polar ice caps, causing massive earthquakes and killing people en-mass.

There's also invisibility, wormholes, surviving thermonuclear blasts and a bunch of outer things, they let him do at one time or another.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
VanQ said:
Is this the Spider-woman comic that the internet got into an indignant rage over the cover because of her ass crack?
No, that's the other Spider-Woman, Jessica Drew.

That was fucking hilarious, like they don't realize that comic book heroes whether male or female are drawn naked and have their suits painted on.
Only if the artist is bad at their job. Unless the character is supposed to literally be wearing bodypaint, even a form-fitting costume should still bridge between body parts in some places, have creases at joints, and things like that.

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
It seems Marvel actually lost me at the Superior Spiderman "twist" (really Marvel, that one is a bit old at this point). I'm a bit surprised at myself-- having read most (nearly all) X-Men comics I thought I was immune to cringe-worth plot twists and day-tv "it-was-all-a-dream" retcons by now. I would have been excited for this a couple of years ago, now I'm kind of meh about the entire Spiderman franchise.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
On one hand I'm fine with Gwen being more than just a way to make Peter upset. Spider Gwen is born, perfect. I just hate alternate reality bullshit. DC has fucked up their whole universe multiple times with that crap. Trying to make separate continuities because they are too afraid to mess with characters is a mistake.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Grumman said:
VanQ said:
Is this the Spider-woman comic that the internet got into an indignant rage over the cover because of her ass crack?
No, that's the other Spider-Woman, Jessica Drew.

That was fucking hilarious, like they don't realize that comic book heroes whether male or female are drawn naked and have their suits painted on.
Only if the artist is bad at their job. Unless the character is supposed to literally be wearing bodypaint, even a form-fitting costume should still bridge between body parts in some places, have creases at joints, and things like that.
That last assessment is not fair. Most characters utilize what amounts to the body lines with a few extras because of time constraints on making a page. A lot of artists will spend an entire day on a single page of a comic (10-15 hours). It's a reasonable shortcut. Or you'll notice people who draw characters with a lot of accessories often times have simple backgrounds (in some cases, no backgrounds). There is always a trade off, in reality. The only time a comic artists is "bad at their job" is when they are not good at making panels that actually get the story across. First and foremost, a good comic artist will be able to tell a story without any words.

Conan_Edogawa

Apr 14, 2009
erttheking said:
Is there any chance she can get that uniform with the kickass hoody that's been kicking around the internet? That'd be sweet.
she already has that outfit. that's her costume in her issue of the "Edge of Spiderverse" mini-series Marvel did to lead up to the Spiderverse event starting next month.

wetfart said:
A whole series? You couldn't knock this out in a What If... issue?
technically, they KINDA did. her debut in "Edge of Spiderverse" issue 2 could basically be seen as a What If... issue, since it sets up her origin, and even includes a few twists like "Peter Parker was the Lizard, he died, and so everyone hates Spiderwoman." or "Matt Murdoc is working for the Kingpin in this universe. what's up with that?!"

Fans just loved the concept, how it was handled, and the design choices and such so much that Marvel decided "sure. she can survive the crossover and get a series. people want it, so why not?"

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Conan_Edogawa said:
erttheking said:
Is there any chance she can get that uniform with the kickass hoody that's been kicking around the internet? That'd be sweet.
she already has that outfit. that's her costume in her issue of the "Edge of Spiderverse" mini-series Marvel did to lead up to the Spiderverse event starting next month.

wetfart said:
A whole series? You couldn't knock this out in a What If... issue?
technically, they KINDA did. her debut in "Edge of Spiderverse" issue 2 could basically be seen as a What If... issue, since it sets up her origin, and even includes a few twists like "Peter Parker was the Lizard, he died, and so everyone hates Spiderwoman." or "Matt Murdoc is working for the Kingpin in this universe. what's up with that?!"

Fans just loved the concept, how it was handled, and the design choices and such so much that Marvel decided "sure. she can survive the crossover and get a series. people want it, so why not?"
She does? *Googles* And it's the kick ass hoody costume I was talking about! I am happy.