Spider-Man's Knickers

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
I dunno about the scarring thing - remember how well that worked in Fable 2? Absolutely nobody gave a shit, and half the time they were covered up by clothing or armour anyway. Maybe it could be massive head trauma instead, since being so bad at fighting means you'll probably take more blows to the head than a disobedient hooker. The character could get progressively dumber the more injuries were sustained, until it eventually reaches the point where your only dialogue option is to stare blankly at the quest-giver with mute pleading in your eyes.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
SonicWaffle said:
..Maybe it could be massive head trauma instead, since being so bad at fighting means you'll probably take more blows to the head than a disobedient hooker. The character could get progressively dumber the more injuries were sustained, until it eventually reaches the point where your only dialogue option is to stare blankly at the quest-giver with mute pleading in your eyes.
That could work in quite well with Yahtzee's idea of reverse levelling (starting off at "max level" and gradually choosing skills to lose as you progress to increase challenge in the game) from an Extra Punctuation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/8661-What-if-We-Leveled-Backwards] waaaay back.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I thought the Left 4 Dead series did a decent job with this. It's fairly subtle, with the gritty art style the games opted for anyway, but you do get blood stains over time. No ripping though, as far as I can recall.

What makes it work is that it is subtle. Unlike Spider-Man, even by the end you still might not notice if you're not paying attention; when it comes right down to it, it's still the same clothing.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Again with the captchas? Seriously, I'm not a bot or a spammer, I wasn't one ten posts ago, I wasn't one a hundred posts ago. Is there some sort of post-count threshold where it'll believe me?

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Teoes said:
SonicWaffle said:
..Maybe it could be massive head trauma instead, since being so bad at fighting means you'll probably take more blows to the head than a disobedient hooker. The character could get progressively dumber the more injuries were sustained, until it eventually reaches the point where your only dialogue option is to stare blankly at the quest-giver with mute pleading in your eyes.
That could work in quite well with Yahtzee's idea of reverse levelling (starting off at "max level" and gradually choosing skills to lose as you progress to increase challenge in the game) from an Extra Punctuation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/8661-What-if-We-Leveled-Backwards] waaaay back.
You've got a point there, it's a pretty good in-universe justification for regressing skill levels. Maybe getting punched in the head too many times causes a character to forget their top-tier fireball spell, and so on and so forth.

That might actually might for a pretty interesting mechanic, if the degrading skill weren't automatic and time-based; the more damage a character takes over the course of the game, the more skill points/levels/stats or whatever they lose. Play well, protect your character, and retain your best abilities. Play badly, charge into fights without planning or just get knocked down too many times and your abilities will diminish. Imagine that sort of game on a Ninja Gaiden style difficulty level :-/

arcstone

Dec 1, 2007
I think scarring on your face and torso for doing well sounds a bit off. Rather I'd think hands and arms. Like if your knuckles are all fucked up, but you got hardly a scratch otherwise, then that would clearly show that you're giving more than you're recieving.

Also at first fresh from the wrapper swords with mirror sheens getting gradually covered in nicks, scrapes and dried blood would be a nice touch.

Diana Kingston-Gabai

Aug 3, 2010
Didn't the "Prince of Persia" trilogy have the same mechanic? In the first you kept losing pieces of your shirt in transition from one area to the next, and in the third the glowing scars on your back kept spreading until you finally suppressed the Dark Prince...

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
another thing specopstheline did well was that melee combat changed over time, at the beginning Walker would hit a guy in the head with his gun and shot him once and in the last few levels he would reduce their enemies heads to jam and slowly insert his gun into their mouth before pulling the trigger.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SonicWaffle said:
I dunno about the scarring thing - remember how well that worked in Fable 2? Absolutely nobody gave a shit, and half the time they were covered up by clothing or armour anyway.
Not to mention, half the players were like "Holy shit! That looks awesome!" Which defeated Molyneux's supposed point.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
arcstone said:
I think scarring on your face and torso for doing well sounds a bit off. Rather I'd think hands and arms. Like if your knuckles are all fucked up, but you got hardly a scratch otherwise, then that would clearly show that you're giving more than you're recieving.
I like that idea, really. Show the scarring on the hands if you're dishing it out and on the torso/face if you're taking it.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
SonicWaffle said:
I dunno about the scarring thing - remember how well that worked in Fable 2? Absolutely nobody gave a shit, and half the time they were covered up by clothing or armour anyway.
Not to mention, half the players were like "Holy shit! That looks awesome!" Which defeated Molyneux's supposed point.
Molyneux had a point beyond "check out what I can do, bitches!"?

angel85

Dec 31, 2008
I am VERY surprised you didn't bring up the Prince of Persia, in Sands of Time the guy slowly strips off his shirt as the thing gets torn up from the endless zombie fighting, until in the last stage he is shirtless with a badass chest cut. Thank god they didn't do anything with his pants...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SonicWaffle said:
Molyneux had a point beyond "check out what I can do, bitches!"?
Well, maybe not, but his claims were that the scarring system was a way of adding permanent repercussions to death and in-game consequences and all that horsecrap.

Mr.Tea said:
Well, Garrus is space-Batman after all...
Boring, overrated, and the subject of more memes than actual thought?

Captcha: Stop asking me which dish soap is eco-friendly! I still don't know!

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
Diana Kingston-Gabai said:
Didn't the "Prince of Persia" trilogy have the same mechanic? In the first you kept losing pieces of your shirt in transition from one area to the next, and in the third the glowing scars on your back kept spreading until you finally suppressed the Dark Prince...
I've been beaten to it! GAH!
But yeah, it was pretty neat how the prince slowly lost bits and pieces of his clothing until at the end of the game he was basically just running about in his knickers. It shows the transition from the pampered prince into the hero he became. When he first tore the sleeves off his shirt I almost applauded. He threw away his persona as the crowned prince to become the hero that was needed to save the nation/world/whatever, much as he threw away his sleeves.

I'm a little surprised Yahtzee didn't mention that, but it is an older, more obscure game. Everyone knows about Batman, but not everyone knows about the Prince of Persia. Oh god, I sound like a drooling fanboy now, don't I?

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
About that tihs with the pijamas - its okay if it shows something .
In Arkham city , batman went more tired and beaten by the minute , and his costume showed his emotional state . In Spec ops the line , walker looked cool at the start - vest,equipment , gear . But when he gets crazier and crazier , his outlook starts to fall apart too .
And what happens to spidey ? He dropped his pizza on the costume and now has to dry clean it .