Spike Announces VGX Nominees

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

Grand Theft Auto V, BioShock Infinite and The Last of Us lead this year's pack of Spike VGX nominees.

This year's slate of Spike VGX - formerly the VGAs, renamed to VGX [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129681-Spike-TV-Video-Game-Awards-Renamed-VGX-Airs-December-7] earlier this month and no, we still don't know what the "X" stands for - nominees has been announced, and it should come as little surprise that Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto V tops the list with nine nominations including Best Action Adventure Game, Best Soundtrack and Game of the Year. Following closely behind is BioShock Infinite with eight nominations and The Last of Us, which pulled in seven.

Spike says the rechristened VGX "will abandon the traditional Hollywood style award show to feature more world premiere game trailers than ever before, plus extended deep dives into the next generation of games, new looks at gaming culture, one-on-one interviews with the industry's most visionary creatives and expert panels digging into what's coming to consoles in 2014 and beyond." The show will be "more games, less fame, in an intimate studio setting," the press release claims, although whether Spike has the wherewithal to make that happens is a an awfully big question.

In any event, some nomination highlights:

Game of the Year:

BioShock Infinite
Grand Theft Auto V
Super Mario 3D World
The Last of Us
Tomb Raider

Studio of the Year:

Irrational Games
Naughty Dog
Rockstar North
The Fullbright Company

Best Indie Game:

Gone Home
Kentucky Route Zero
Papers, Please
The Stanley Parable

Best Soundtrack:

BioShock Infinite
Grand Theft Auto V
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
The Last of Us

Best DLC:

Borderland 2: Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep
Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Mass Effect 3: Citadel

Many of you will note that Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is a stand-alone game and thus not DLC by most measures, but hey, what's an award show without a little controversy? VGX nominees and winners are chosen by the "VGX Advisory Council," made up of game journalists from a number of sites that don't include this one, with the exception of "Most Anticipated Game," which will be selected by the public from amongst Destiny, Titanfall, South Park: The Stick of Truth, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and Watch Dogs. The Spike VGX show airs on December 7.

Source: Spike VGX [http://www.spike.com/vgx]

WashAran

Jun 28, 2012
Well best male Voice Actor Nominies should be:

Troy Baker as Joel
Troy Baker as Booker DeWitt
Troy Baker as The Boss from Saints Row IV
Troy Baker as The Joker

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
Surprised that "Last of Us" is up there. Won't be surprised when it get's knocked off by GTA V.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
And not one mention of Beyond: Two Souls, aside from VA nominations.

Coupled with the nomination of The Stanley Parable for best PC game, I might actually give the VGX award show a look now.

saxman234

Nov 23, 2011
Super Mario 3d world is not even out yet. It better be one of the top 5 best games of the year now. Some of these seem like odd choices. Fullbright company and Gone Home seem like odd choices after hearing peoples reactions to that game. Well this is the VGAs so it is always not worth much.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Instead of Best Soundtrack, they should have Best Original Soundtrack, as GTA V has an unfair advantage because of all the licensed music.

Other than that, I will still not watch because they will award GTA V with GoTY due to popular opinion; the game was good, but I don't think that it was that good.

Also people will be upset by the lack of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

Not me though.

[small]Papers Please ftw[/small]

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
And here is my commentary on what I wanna whine about:
Game of the Year: Where is Metro: Last Light? A repeating sentence you will see. Also, can we replace GTA 5 with the better Saint's Row 4?

Studio of the Year: I think people need to see the difference between a competent studio (one that know good game design) and a good studio (someone that can make "art"). Also, if a studio made a great game with a relatively low budget in bad working conditions: Nominee them.

Best Soundtrack: I don't really know if Fire Emblem: Awakening (The game Jim Sterling never much play) really has a great soundtrack, it is just used really well.But apparently not well enough to be nominated.

Best Shooter: Call of Duty & Battlefield need to take notes from Metro 2033 to get a passing grade, and Bioshock suffers from a poorly released world. Last Light should be the clear winner(Fun fact: I guessed all the nominees).

Best PC game: Where is Metro: Last Light?

Best Handheld Game: Why no Fire Emblem: Awakening? Is it really that importent to have a Sony game in a year where the 3DS has kicked all kind of ass?

Best Causel Game: Should not Call of Duty or GTA be nominated here?

Best Song: This should be named "Best Lyrical Song", because best song is "Don't Speak Her Name" from Fire Emblem: Awakening.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
Not a Call Of Duty in a major category. My wishes are coming true~
(except for shooter, but that's obligatory)

Best Soundtrack:

Grand Theft Auto V
...What? As in the licensed music radio stations?

I hope "Will the Circle be Unbroken" win for best song, and The Last of Us/Bioshock Infinite wins best game.

Colbster94

Mar 26, 2012
TizzytheTormentor said:
-No Shin Megami Tensei IV
-No Fire Emblem Awakening
-No Pokemon X&Y
-No Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies

1/10 would not watch.
Besides Pokemon (which I edit to add in IS up for best handheld game) most of those are niche handhelds. Did you really expect those games to take center stage in an internationally broadcast-ed awards show?

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Let's start this:

Game of the Year:

BioShock Infinite - Fair enough.
Grand Theft Auto V - Okay, saw this coming from miles ago.
Super Mario 3D World - Wha? Seriously? Not any other game you could think of?
The Last of Us - Really badly written and overly hyped, saw this one coming.
Tomb Raider - WHA?- Again, Just...What?

You know what, i was going to comment troughly every single nomination, but these Games of The Year just took all of my enthusiasm.

Yeah I'm gonna skip this.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
WHAT?! Call of Doody isn't game of the year nominated!? Is this really on Spike?

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
And cue incoming rage about what games are/aren't in each category so we can all get in huge arguments over an ultimately meaningless awards show that has the maturity of the average 15 year old CoD fan. Because lord forbid a game you didn't like gets praised over a game you did like.

/cynicism

So yeah, no CoD on goty list. I thought Spike was contractually obligated to at least include it on there.

/cynicismforrealthistime

Honestly I didn't play a lot of new games this year mostly due to budget constraints. The only game of the year nominee I played was Bioshock Infinite which was a pretty mixed bag overall. Not for the actual game mechanics that seems to have ruined it for everyone else mind, I enjoyed the HELL out of the skyrail-riding, super-power throwing, fast paced shooting.

Storywise it just tried hitting too much at once, and even though it remained interesting it stumbled along the way. Switching to the Vox Populi as the main enemy half way through was an odd choice. "Here, sympathize with the marginlized minorities forced into brutish competition to see who can work the hardest for the least pay so the rich, white upper-class can live in paradise! No wait, now that they're uprising it turns out they're actually monsters, kill them!"

Yeah, some seriously mixed messages there.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
If the format is what the press release is claiming, it may be bearable for once. The last thing most of us care about is some random celebrity thrown on stage because reasons. Will I watch it though? Probably not. Once the new premiere trailers come out, sites like Gametrailers will have them ready to watch any way.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Andy Chalk said:

Grand Theft Auto V, BioShock Infinite and The Last of Us lead this year's pack of Spike VGX nominees.

This year's slate of Spike VGX - formerly the VGAs, renamed to VGX [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129681-Spike-TV-Video-Game-Awards-Renamed-VGX-Airs-December-7] earlier this month and no, we still don't know what the "X" stands for -
The X stands for "X-TREEEEEEEME!!!!*guitar riff*"

Spelled exactly like that. Including the guitar riff. That's the most important part.