Spike Awards

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
Spike Awards, whatd you think?
I thought good, wish batman had been goty but everyone has different opinions and I feel skyrim had more internet users at its command for votes but whatever.

Thought Chuck was a better host than last years ensemble.

edit: jesus christ you guys are a hard to please cynical bunch. its just an awards show...

xXDeMoNiCXx

Mar 10, 2010
Didn't even bother watching it after that joke of a show they had last year. From what I can tel from the results, they made some pretty dumb choices.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
God it was terrible. Only reason I watched it was for the announcement trailers, which were some of the most disappointing I've seen in years.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
I found The Black Keys to be very meh. Should've had Miracle of Sound :p
I liked the host, he was alright.
I don't know who the hell invited Charlie Sheen to the VMAs.

Aaaand last but not least, Infinity Ward dev getting teabagged made my day.

EDIT: Oh, and very much not surprised Skyrim got GOTY.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
Meh, in my opinion the spike awards are too similar to, well... any awards program on mtv, only slightly more tolerable. It's just a huge popularity contest. They focus on what's popular rather than what's good. Heck, sometimes I watch the mtv movie awards to laugh at the stupidity. Best kiss, anyone?

USSR

Oct 4, 2008
Sober Thal said:
then telling the world she has a +20 mouth caught me off guard.
I feel like the nickname "Fellatio Day" will stick around for a while after that.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
What did I want to see? Mirror's Edge 2, that's what!

Did it get announced? No. Therefore, I didn't have a good time.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
didnt watch, its a joke.

who ever brings the awards more money wins. why do you think MW3 wins? activision markets the shit out of it. (sure isnt because the game can hold up on its own merits)

My awards for this year:
Best Puzzle: Portal 2
Best modern shooter: BF3
Best sandbox action: Batman Arkahm City
Best RPG: Skyrim
Best remake: Halo CE anniversary
Best Indie title: Didn't play one, short on cash.
Best Game (remakes not allowed obviously): Portal 2

End of ceremony, go home and play games now.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Marter said:
What did I want to see? Mirror's Edge 2, that's what!

Did it get announced? No. Therefore, I didn't have a good time.
FUCK YES (pardon my language ma'am). Seriously, food has stopped tasting right to me after I beat that game.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
JoesshittyOs said:
FUCK YES (pardon my language ma'am). Seriously, food has stopped tasting right to me after I beat that game.
I just recently re-beat the first one (for about the 7th or 8th time), and I'm really hoping for a sequel.

Also, just an FYI for any Mirror's Edge fans out there: Mirror's Edge on iOS devices is currently free. Not sure how much longer, but it is.

USSR

Oct 4, 2008
Marter said:
Also, just an FYI for any Mirror's Edge fans out there: Mirror's Edge on iOS devices is currently free. Not sure how much longer, but it is.
Hmm. Seems to be a one-day thing. Thank you very much, wouldn't have found out w/o you :)

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
I gave up on them quite a while ago. But whenever I get really bothered with their choices, I just tell myself "The decisions are made by people who voted on the website, and most gamers with dignity would rather spend their time playing games rather than voting for them." Coincidentally I think the same thing at the MTV movie/music awards. I mean really? There was a year that Twilight walked off with half the rewards, clearly the whole poll was done by teenage girls.

Brentpool

Jan 19, 2011
For some reason I feel compelled to watch it even if it is for the expressed purpose to make hipstery comments at the EB Games to feel some pathetic sense of superiority; that said, this year wasn't as bad as last year, but was still pretty bad.

Everyone who won an award deserved what they got even if I preferred to see someones else win (Infamous 2 > Uncharted; Wheatley > The Joker) and it would have been nice to see Dom nominated for best character instead of Marcus Fenix.

New IPs get the same sentiment that a lot of people throw that way: Looks like it could be good, but pre-rendered cinematics can't really speak for the game itself. And while I didn't get my Half Life 3, Oddworld or Jazz Jackrabbit announcements, I was re-hyped for ME3 with that gameplay trailer and I also appreciated the Darksiders 2 commercial.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
I heard that Gears of War 3 didn't win anything it was nominated for, so therefore I didn't like it.

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
Honestly, I didn't think it was that bad, which was really surprising. The host actually entertained me and I think promoting Child's Play was a really good move. Plus, Miyamoto accepting the Hall of Fame induction for Zelda gave me goosebumps.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I was happy with GOTY and pleasantly surprised about Portal 2's best multiplayer win. I do enjoy the coop in that game more than the competitive multiplayer in shooters.

The trailer that actually got me excited was the ME3 one. Reaper vs Thresher Maw is so awesome.
Although I though Reapers were a lot bigger than that. They must come in variable sizes cause Sovereign was 2 km long and the Reaper in that trailer looked maybe about a quarter of the size.

Link XL1

Apr 6, 2010
im sorry but portal 2 getting best multiplayer was complete BS, as well as COD winning ANYTHING! (although i was disappointed with BF and gears as well)