Spike VGA's Are Absolutely Irrelevant

mar4511

Oct 17, 2011
Now, it is no secret that the Spike VGA's are genuinely an embarrassing waste of time and are just a popularity contest. The voting is done by users who submit votes into a site, that's right, people with actual knowledge, intelligence and understanding of how the system works, hold the same relevance with an 8 year old.

Despite this horrifically broken system of voting, they really have outdone themselves this year. Now then, I know there is a lot of rage that the mixed reviewed Dragon Age 2 got a nomination for best rpg and Witcher 2 didn't. I also know that there is a lot of rage regarding the inclusion of cross platform games on the award list, such as Portal 2, being nominated for 360 GOTY, when Valve has always been PC based since its inception.

However, those to me just pale in comparison to one thing. One fact I could not help but notice the first time I saw the article here on the Escapist. That is, they are announcing the nominees for a gaming award show for the year of 2011...in November.

I am not the only one who sees the nonsense in this right? In order for this list to be accurate, they would have had time to play the games. A good portion of the people who put this list together, probably don't have access to early releases of games like Skyward Sword and Skyrim. Which would have both had to been out before this list was made. That means, either everyone at Spike got to have a preorder of the games long before critics. Or they premade a list for games that weren't even out yet.

That is fucking insulting to everything this type of an award show should stand for. The VGA's are a stain, and need to either be taken away from whoever currently is handling it, or done away with all together.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Spike TV has always been unadulterated trash. I don't care what they claim are the best games of the year, because their input doesn't matter in the slightest to me. As you stated yourself, it's just a glorified popularity contest.

Let them stroke their own egos to their heart's content. I'll be over here not giving a fuck.

Sam Eskenazi

Dec 26, 2008
Christ, how stupid... Not really a surprise though. No one really pays much attention to them really. All hype and then it dies out; the only people who remember it are those who hate it with a passion. Like us.

JustOrdinary

Mar 13, 2011
Personally, I think if you're going to have a 'xbox 360' or 'PS3' category, it should be for exclusives only. Otherwise why bother with GENRE categories at all?

mar4511

Oct 17, 2011
The nominations aren't voted on by the average gamer. That would be impossible, Skyward Sword isn't even fucking out yet. You miss my point though. I was stating how people were getting mad that The Witcher 2 got excluded, and how Portal 2 was nominated for 360 and not PC. I am indifferent to them both because Spike is fucking stupid, my point was that people should be angry about games being nominated that are not released yet and the fact that they released the nominations in the middle of November.

If a person prefers to play Portal 2 on 360 I say let em. I don't care. What I care about is how some people consider the VGA's to be gaming's Oscar. When really they are closer to the MTV Awards.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
This is why need people that aren't frat boys and douchenozzles to organize an awards show. Especially because people who watch it naturally believe gamers in general are like them.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Wait. They're just NOW irrelevant? I thought they became shit when they were hosted on SPIKETV! You know, the channel that has "1000 ways to die" and "Manswers?" Not to mention that a couple of years prior they announced the winners by having painted nude models decent from the sky with the winners on them.

Hell they've had times where the crowd was COMPLETELY silent when the person introducing the next title was walking out on stage. So silent, in fact, that you could hear her heals clicking on the stage.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
VGAs. Oh, you mean the Modern Warfare 3 awards? I'll pass. If they can count the multiplayer leveling system as RPG they'll screw Skyrim right in the poopers.

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
And how exactly does that make them different from every award show ever???

"Awards" are just stupid tokens to drum up more publicity & somehow make producers feel better with a big shiny trophy.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
It's just Spike's way of trying to corner the market on what young male adults like: action movies, video games, boobs, explosions, guns etc etc.

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
NuclearShadow said:
mar4511 said:
there is a lot of rage regarding the inclusion of cross platform games on the award list, such as Portal 2, being nominated for 360 GOTY, when Valve has always been PC based since its inception.
I am not sure why a cross platforming game should be unable to win awards.
Because, if you are going to make a category for "Best 360 Game", then why should a game for EVERY SYSTEM be able to win? By this logic, I could give every single (best of __Insert Platform Here__) award to Skyrim, because it is multi-platform.

My point is that, not necessarily for the VGAs (because they are a joke), "Best of Platform" awards should be games that are exclusive (or, at the very least special to) that platform alone. Uncharted, Halo, and Starcraft are all great examples. Skyrim, GTA, or MW3 are not...

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Vault boy Eddie said:
VGAs. Oh, you mean the Modern Warfare 3 awards? I'll pass. If they can count the multiplayer leveling system as RPG they'll screw Skyrim right in the poopers.
It wont happen, if the MW3 players ever figured out they are just playing an RPG most will freak.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
You mean you WISH the VGAs were actually irrelevant. If they were you wouldn't be posting this.
The problem is alot of gamers and people in industry DO care about them while awards are getting handed out without any professionalism or integrity.

shadowelancer

Mar 18, 2009
I view them as irrelevant because it happens in December, that would be like the Oscars occuring at the start of December and your film doesnt come out till christmas, you try to get into the 2012 ones but WHOOPS YOUR FILM CAME OUT IN 2011 YOU CANT.
Also that Red Dead Redemption is apparantely 2010's best game is just ridiculous.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
As a European, I never knew what Spike was, til I actually went to the other side of the ocean and watched Die Hard 2. Or at least tried watching it.

IT'S THE ACTION CHANNEL FOR MEN, WE'RE SO MANLY LOOK AT OUR GUNS AND BIKINI MODELS HOLY SHIT WE'RE MEN

Okay, that's fine. On to the movie.

It was censored.

The 'manliest channel on earth' censors its movies. 'Yippie ka-yay MY FRIEND!?'

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
The fact that it is a popularity contest and not so much a scholarly evaluation of worth may make it fall short of a niche games need, but it doesn't make it worthless. Its entertainment with some audience participation. If it tried to bill itself as gameings Oscars, there would be a problem, but as it is, its just entertainment, and thats fine.

Also, this is relevant. http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/our-oscars

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
I was just mad that they included littlebigplanet and rage. Both of those games were absolute shit. I mean, lbp? Really? What the fuck are they smoking and can I get some?