Splatoon 2 Will Feature 8-player LAN Play

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Splatoon 2 Will Feature 8-player LAN Play

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1381/1381710.jpg
You'll be able to link up to eight Nintendo Switch systems together in a wired LAN set-up to play Splatoon 2 offline.

In a move that is sure to please eSports enthusiasts, Nintendo has announced that its upcoming Nintendo Switch shooter: Splatoon 2, will feature a fully offline wired LAN mode. In a post on the official Splatoon blog site [http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/157089940714/previously-weve-reported-that-splatoon-2-will] Nintendo stated that you'll be able to hook up to eight Switch systems together and play without the use of the net.

"Previously, we've reported that Splatoon 2 will allow up to eight Nintendo Switch systems to connect via local wireless to play Private Battles. In addition to this, a new feature called LAN Play will enable players to connect eight docked systems using a wired LAN setup. This feature allows players to create local Private Battle tournaments without the need for an Internet connection," read the post.

Additionally, it looks like the game will come with a fully-fledged spectator mode. "If you're willing to put in the work to set up LAN Play, you can also use the Private Battle Spectator View feature by hooking up two additional Nintendo Switch systems. Local wireless play is perfect for your regular gaming get-togethers, but LAN Play is where it's at when you want to organize a serious tournament event with your fellow players," it continued.

Looks like Nintendo is really serious about Splatoon becoming a proper eSport.

Source: Splatoon [http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/157089940714/previously-weve-reported-that-splatoon-2-will]

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Would it be correct to say that when people want LAN, they also mean they want split-screen and compatibility for multiple controllers? Given how this is described, it's just too expensive set up a local game seeing how you need 8 different Switches instead of, say, two switches and eight controllers for the maximum amount of players.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
So Ninty, the biggest supporter of local multiplayer has now completely discarded the concept? I've said it before, and I'll say it again; the Switch is the worst aspects of a handheld combined with the worst aspects of a console.

Good luck finding 8 people who actually own a Switch....

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
So LAN play is a "new feature" now? Is this Nintendo's way of announcing they're porting DOOM?

Xorph

Aug 24, 2010
Avnger said:
So Ninty, the biggest supporter of local multiplayer has now completely discarded the concept? I've said it before, and I'll say it again; the Switch is the worst aspects of a handheld combined with the worst aspects of a console.

Good luck finding 8 people who actually own a Switch....
Well, this is a feature designed around tournament play (where you can bet they'll easily have 8 consoles), not casual couch stuff. Even the two spectator consoles thing seems like it's likely there so that tourney commentators can easily see the entire match.

It's not like this is some company-wide thing either, I'm sure Mario Kart, Smash, Party and every other 1-or-2-per-console ninty title will support full splitscreen/single console play, Splatoon is just the outlier in that it's being made specifically for online and tourney play.

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
Sooo... you need constant internet connection to play a simple, singleplayer Nintendo game on your iPhone ... but a LAN Splatoon 2 is ok!? WTF?

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Geisterkarle said:
Sooo... you need constant internet connection to play a simple, singleplayer Nintendo game on your iPhone ... but a LAN Splatoon 2 is ok!? WTF?
Microtransactions and the like. It's crap that mobile users often already put up with, so Nintendo decided "lolwhynot".

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Is 4 vs 4 a little on the small side?

We did more than that with quake 2 in the 90s and a 56k modem.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Nintendo. You do realize a feature is something that's actually beneficial to the consumer right. Because I can tell you. right now; the whole gimmick you have is the system being able to go anywhere with just the screenb. Now you're saying that they have to lug the base around. Just in case. Look. No. That is not gonna happen.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Recusant said:
So LAN play is a "new feature" now? Is this Nintendo's way of announcing they're porting DOOM?
Sadly, yes since the Xbox One and PS4 gave LAN play the middle finger.

jayzz911

Nov 9, 2010
MonsterCrit said:
Nintendo. You do realize a feature is something that's actually beneficial to the consumer right. Because I can tell you. right now; the whole gimmick you have is the system being able to go anywhere with just the screenb. Now you're saying that they have to lug the base around. Just in case. Look. No. That is not gonna happen.
So did you just look at the diagram and decide to post a comment without actually reading the article?
Steven Bogos said:
"Previously, we've reported that Splatoon 2 will allow up to eight Nintendo Switch systems to connect via local wireless to play Private Battles. In addition to this, a new feature called LAN Play will enable players to connect eight docked systems using a wired LAN setup. This feature allows players to create local Private Battle tournaments without the need for an Internet connection," read the post.
It said it right there that you can do it wirelessly, you don't need the dock to play an 8 player private match. This is specifically a "tournament mode".

OT: I don't think i'd ever use this, but it's nice that it's there i suppose.

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
This is going to ensure that Splatoon 2 is going to be Pokemon/Monster Hunter/Yokai Watch territory and likely the biggest game on the Switch in Japan this year. Japan's 25 million handheld owners are going to have a hard time saying no to Splatoon 2, MK8D, Arms, Minecraft and Zelda on the go. In fact the pricing and lineup in Japan for the Switch ensures that it will have a lot stronger first two quarters compared to the 3DS launch which tanked until the price was lowered by Nintendo and they released the big hitters - MK7 and Monster Hunter.
I fully expect groups of kids in Japan this summer to be playing Splatoon 2 in parks/schools/playgrounds etc