Splatoon is a Family Friendly Shooter for WiiU

momijirabbit

Nov 2, 2012
This game is the greatest game I have seen in years.
Nintendo just sold the Wii U to me.
GG Nintendo, GG.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Johny_X2 said:
Dexterity said:
Johny_X2 said:
Dexterity said:
Johny_X2 said:
Hm, am I missing something or has no one noticed that this is a new first-party IP by Nintendo? Because that's pretty big. Unless I'm missing an important piece of information there.
It's probably being brushed off by a lot of people as a piece of shovelware.

Or it might just have Wonderful 101 syndrome where it's a new IP and an amazing Wii U game that people just blank out before asking for new IPs and more Wii U games.
Which is a shame because I thought it was one of the more exciting things in that event. And it looks lovely. I would genuinely love to play it.
It'll most likely get played, but Nintendo NEED to remember to advertise this game.

It's just a case of new IPs not generally getting noticed when put next to existing IPs.
I think that marketing is an issue here. Nintendo failed to kick up a fuss about the game. They only went 'by the way, here's another game we're working on' instead of 'holy shit everyone look, we're making a new IP for the first time in like a bajillion years, isn't that exciting? look! look! it's squid people doing fun shit! LOOOOOK! Are you excited yet?'. They really should have made a bigger deal out of the announcement. This way it's going to fade into obscurity really fast. Which is a shame because that game looks fucking awesome.
They dedicated a good portion of the showcase to it and featured it twice on the stream afterwards. And this was the first time it was shown to anyone. For a first day reveal, I say they've been giving it some attention. As for the whole "LOOK LOOK NEW IP" thing, that would require them caring about the (complete bullshit) narrative of "Oh, Nintendo doesn't make new IPs, they only make Mario games."

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
I'm very excited for this. If only because it looks so different, and I don't even like First Person Shooters.
I wish I could have played the demo.

momijirabbit

Nov 2, 2012
Story said:
I'm very excited for this. If only because it looks so different, and I don't even like First Person Shooters.
But...
it's a third person shooter.

Also can I mention how awesome the character design is? Cause' it is freaking awesome.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
momijirabbit said:
Story said:
But...
it's a third person shooter.

Also can I mention how awesome the character design is? Cause' it is freaking awesome.
Ha! My mistake.
I like Third Person Shooters more now that I think about it.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I'm happy to see a multiplayer focused game that isn't trying to be the "next big thing" in online multiplayer. It just wants to be a goofy multiplayer game, and that is fine with me. It looks fun, and I may give it a shot. People wanted Nintendo to make new IPs, though I can see a lot of people saying it's not the new Nintendo IP they would want.

kennyloo69

Nov 16, 2009
I was at E3 and got to try this out. It is FUN.... but it controls like total SHIT!
The main problem is that I'm used to using dual-sticks for any shooter on a console. This game forces you to use the wii pad to aim. The worst part though is that you actually CAN use the right thumb stick to aim... left and right. So you use the thumb stick to turn your body while tilting the wii pad to aim up and down. It's really hard to coordinate your brain to aim this way. If they add an option to simply use the right thumb stick to aim, this will be a great game. Otherwise, I'd go as far as to say that it is unplayable. I think you can aim using only the wii pad but you turn way to slow so it isn't very useful. They need to fix this asap.

Pickapok

Eater of Doughnuts
May 17, 2011
kennyloo69 said:
I was at E3 and got to try this out. It is FUN.... but it controls like total SHIT!
The main problem is that I'm used to using dual-sticks for any shooter on a console. This game forces you to use the wii pad to aim. The worst part though is that you actually CAN use the right thumb stick to aim... left and right. So you use the thumb stick to turn your body while tilting the wii pad to aim up and down. It's really hard to coordinate your brain to aim this way. If they add an option to simply use the right thumb stick to aim, this will be a great game. Otherwise, I'd go as far as to say that it is unplayable. I think you can aim using only the wii pad but you turn way to slow so it isn't very useful. They need to fix this asap.
Except you actually can switch to using the analog sticks according to Game Informer. And on top of that they have a whole year to tighten up the controls. There is a reason this game is being marketed for 2015

saleem

Oct 29, 2009
kennyloo69 said:
Game Informer mentioned that you can switch from motion to stick controls already.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
If anyone's curious, here's the first Nintendo Treehouse livestream video when they first showed it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcqf0XOwHZs

All I can think of when I was enjoying the showing was "Look at all those pretty colors". xD Color based fighting gameplay!

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
So, did the developers watch a lot of Nickelodeon Slime Time before making this game? :p

In all seriousness, this looks awesome. Both the trailer and the Treehouse Direct have really sold me on this game. I do hope there are more modes than simply covering the most area, though. Like Capture the Flag or the like.

water_bearer

Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, Nintendo! I know Zelda was just so beautiful, but Splatoon was definitely a major standout for me this E3.
In terms of totally new announcements, Bloodborne looked cool, No Man's Sky looked pretty cool too, but all the pretty graphics of E3 could not overshadow the FUN that oozed from Splatoon. Can't wait to get my hands on this one!