Splinter Cell: Blacklist Review

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Splinter Cell: Blacklist Review

Splinter Cell: Blacklist opens up your tactics between sneaky bastard and guns blazing.

Read Full Article

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Did you forget to post a page?

Because it seems to end in mid-thought at the end of page 2, and there's not review score.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
My thoughts on this game when I saw the trailers and stuff was stuff along the lines of "Call of Duty: Sneaky Edition". Glad to see it hasn't completely gone down that route.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
1. Panther is a good name, Assault is the shitty one.

2. I don't know what are the so-called set pieces you talk about as I play on Perfectionist so I don't get the advantage of M&E while playing.

3. The only danger is the same that any game using a currency system has. I'm halfway through the coop challenges and 2 missions into the single player and I have more than 2 million dollars just sitting there doing nothing.

4. The story has never been the strong point of the games. In fact, I found it worse when they tried making the story bigger and better in Conviction. The story in Splinter Cell is akin to the Princess being kidnapped in the Mario games. Terrorists do bad shit so Sam has to stop them. Go!

5. I agree that the voice and look of Sam is too damn young. Fuck, he was born in 1957 I think. Given that, I do think that the new guy does the best job he can given the role.

6. I like the Paladin as the interactive menu. Its better than the boring regular menu.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I'll get this game once some clever little PC gamer makes a voiceover mod with someone who can imitate Ironside. I can't take Sam Fisher seriously if he's 20 years younger, 11 years later.

The characters are all one note, with the likes of quirky tech guy and by-the-books soldier lining up for supporting roles
And this. I noticed this in the trailer. It's frustrating because the characters in old SC games were very well written. Lambert was awesome, Grim wasn't a *****, and enemy characters from Double Agent (PS2 version) were menacing. I'm just gonna go and play old SC games and forget that this one and Conviction ever existed. Unless that mod happens.

They should have rebooted the series with a new character the moment they realized they can't use Ironside anymore. If the character of Sam Fisher is really that important to them, then they should know that Ironside is what makes that character.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
I'll get this game once some clever little PC gamer makes a voiceover mod with someone who can imitate Ironside. I can't take Sam Fisher seriously if he's 20 years younger, 11 years later.

The characters are all one note, with the likes of quirky tech guy and by-the-books soldier lining up for supporting roles
And this. I noticed this in the trailer. It's frustrating because the characters in old SC games were very well written. Lambert was awesome, Grim wasn't a *****, and enemy characters from Double Agent (PS2 version) were menacing. I'm just gonna go and play old SC games and forget that this one and Conviction ever existed. Unless that mod happens.

They should have rebooted the series with a new character the moment they realized they can't use Ironside anymore. If the character of Sam Fisher is really that important to them, then they should know that Ironside is what makes that character.
my thoughts as well.
the new voice doesnt suit at all. when i saw the trailers and heard sam for the first time, i thought my speakers have a problem.
i already gave up on this series since part 3. part 3 is still, in my view, the best SC ever made. dint bother to get the rest since the pc port was bad and then it was just action oriented.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Hm... I'll probably grab this once there is a Steam sale. Gotta be careful with those modern Splinter Cell titles. That it recognizes ghosting is a good sign, though.

OZAuCkn7J28sHLCv

Mar 27, 2012
IN B4 REVIEW WAS COMPLETE!

On a more serious note, I got a code for this game with my new graphics card. Still not entirely sure if I want to use it or sell/swap it =S

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
I´m actually kind of okay with the new voice actor.
He´s not great by any stretch of the imagination, but neither is he offensively bad. Taken on his own, he´s actually a decent VA. There is a fair bit of an age disconnect, granted, but it´s not like the guy sounds like a 10-year old.

That being said, I will never understand why they did not go for the obvious solution:
The player character is a new Echelon operative and Fisher is his boss.
That way, they get to keep Ironside, still do all the full-body motion-capture they wanted to do, actually have a genuinely evolving narrative and, if they feel like it, can fuck around with player expectation a bit.
What they did instead was probably the most boring option they had.

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
For what Splinter Cell is supposed to be, Panther is assault. Assault is apparently superhuman modern shooter mode.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
I loved Pandora Tomorrow but everything since has been bad. They've turned it into an action game. I don't know who enjoys this "press X to move to cover" crap. That's not stealth. It's stupid.

NearLifeExperience

Oct 21, 2012
I'm afraid of this game. Genuinely afraid. I used to be such a big Sam Fisher fan, up and until Double Agent, that already started to show some serious cracks. Then the one after that, I can't even remember the title, turned it all into some ridiculous cover-to-cover shooting gallery! Gone was the tension, inching forward through the shadows, trying to not pee your pants as a guard stands close enough for you to smell his after-shave. Gone was the replay value, trying to find the best route for a perfect ghost run on hardest difficulty. I haven't played Blacklist yet, but I doubt I'm ever willing to submit myself to such a leap of faith. The fact that Ironside doesn't voice Sam for whatever reason, and that we have this stupid cliché "go-guns-blazing-or-sneaky-sneaks" are a complete deal breaker to me.

Rest in peace, Sam Fisher :(

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I loved Chaos Theory.
I got Blacklist for free with my new graphics card (wasn't exactly jumping for joy) but I downloaded it yesterday. I'll give it a shot soon, since hell I have it. However, not really hoping for much after this.

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
Sgt. Sykes said:
Maybe I'll pick it up in a year when it costs 5 ? or so. Which reminds me, what kind of shitty DRM does it use this time around?
A little late, but I figure I can answer your question, for PC anyway. It uses UPlay, Ubisoft's crappy Steam knock-off. Even if you buy the game on Steam, it will still launch UPlay and force you to create a login. This was the same for most (all?) AssCreed games, so it's nothing terribly new ... just a bit kludgy.

As for the game itself, my major problem was how pushy the game is, and how immersion breaking that becomes :

"You want this shiny new piece of gear? Well download our game for your phone!"
"Sam, you are the super stealthiest super secret agent in the world... but this mission is coop, would you like 'LOLteebagU6969' to join?"

Also, from a technical perspective, the game is horribly unpolished. Simple things like retaining your settings. Once you setup your gamma, resolution, full screen or Windowed, etc ... hope you never Alt-Tab, click onto a different window or close the game. Any of those will revert all video settings to default.

Not a bad game. Not great, and definitely not as good as previous Splinter Cell entries. I don't mind though, was free with my new video card.