Split up with girlfriend - looking for holiday advice

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
So me and my girl have parted ways. Hurts like hell, but I'm trying my best not to let it get me down. We'd been together for 6 years. I'm 32 now, and it feels like a hell of a long time since I was 26. You spend so much time with someone and your life starts to revolve around them. It becomes a part of who you are, where your going, what you need. When it ends, I think that's what hurts the most. You lose your identity and your left feeling stranded and lost. Well I've got to find a fucking map and remember who I was before all this started. That ain't easy, but the only other option is to mope around.

So holiday time. Just pack a bag and hit the road. Get away from everything that's familer and just. be. ME! She can come pick up her things then I'm out 'o here. I haven't got much cash though, so I'm going to be stuck heading somewhere in England. By not much cash, I mean I'm hard pushed to come up with 300 quid.

So my fellow escapists, where should I go?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Cornwall's nice in the summer. Lots of grass, lots of country, and near the sea. Not much for a sense of society or anything like the Blackpool arcades, but it you're looking to get away it's great.

Alexi089

Jun 26, 2011
Where in the UK do you live and what do you like doing? I'm guessing the petrol cost is something you'll want to consider.

As much as it has a bit of a stigma, South Wales has a fair bit going for it; if you like beaches (sandy ones) and the outdoors. It's pretty quick and easy to get to from most parts of England once you pick up the motorway. The weather's pretty much the same as Devon or Cornwall (unsurprisingly); there's good surf around Gower, but it's usually less crowded than Newquay. You can dry-slope ski/ snowboard at Pembrey and there's plenty of watersports centres dotted around the coast. Tenby and Saundersfoot are nice spots to visit for a quiet, beach side holiday (avoid school hols time though). Some cheap campsites too. Loads of places to go walking all around Swansea, Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire. At the risk of sounding like your mother, can I give some safety advice: Don't go into the Brecon Beacons without some food, water, a bright torch, map, compass and warm waterproofs at any time of year. It looks like idyllic pasture at the outskirts on sunny days, but it's actually kind of mountainous further in, and the weather can change really suddenly. It's best not to go alone really. Also, watch cliff edges on Gower (several are hidden by curved heads) and look up swimming dangers before swimming in the bays. I know Three Cliffs gets rip tides, I forget which others do. Don't walk out very far at low tide either, the tidal range is huge around South Wales.

You can also do a nice drive up thorough mid-wales on the A-roads to Snowden in about 3 hours if you like. Cardiff's not a bad choice for a city break either. Much cheaper than London, but obviously a bit less to do.

That's my holiday infomercial

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
Perhaps I should eloborate. I live in Sheffield and I'll be traveling by coach. Ideally I'm looking for a place where I get out and talk to people rather than just taking in the scenery. Saying that though, I kind of want it to be a "holidayish" place if that makes any sense. Not some sort of city-break where 99% of the people are just going about their day to day life. As for lodgings, B&B or camping are both cool.

San Martin

Jun 21, 2013
I would recommend Cheltenham: the jewel of the Cotswolds, the heart of Gloucestershire and the birthplace of renowned composer Gustav Holst.

There are music, science and literature festivals, easy access to some of England's most attractive countryside, several theatres and museums, elegant regency arquitecture and parkland, including the neo-classical town hall and the old spa water pump rooms, an ample selection of shopping and eating options, and one the country's few remaining outdoor lidos.

God, I sound like a spam-bot. But who would make a spam-bot for Cheltenham?

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Snowfox_ said:
Tasmania is nice if you know where to go, more of a peace-and-solitude kinda thing though. Great food; relaxing scenery, amazing fresh air too.
Although it is almost impossible to get there from England on 300 pounds unless you're really good at swimming.

OT:
It's been mentioned in the thread, but Cornwall is a pretty decent getaway. It's summer over there for you lot as well isn't it? Could be nice. Blackpool is pretty close to Sheffield as well, isn't it? I can't remember, it's been a while.

If you have family, cousins perhaps, why not go and spend time with them? Maybe get into shape (if you aren't already). Running/long walks helps me clear my head.

Chie

Jun 29, 2013
I'm not from England, but I just wanted to say...Dude, I know that sucks... chin up, distract yourself and figure it's for the best.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Get a coach somewhere and go camping, (National Parks are awesome and completely free). You should also be relatively close to one no matter on where you live in the UK.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
CAPTCHA said:
So me and my girl have parted ways. Hurts like hell, but I'm trying my best not to let it get me down. We'd been together for 6 years. I'm 32 now, and it feels like a hell of a long time since I was 26. You spend so much time with someone and your life starts to revolve around them. It becomes a part of who you are, where your going, what you need. When it ends, I think that's what hurts the most. You lose your identity and your left feeling stranded and lost. Well I've got to find a fucking map and remember who I was before all this started. That ain't easy, but the only other option is to mope around.

So holiday time. Just pack a bag and hit the road. Get away from everything that's familer and just. be. ME! She can come pick up her things then I'm out 'o here. I haven't got much cash though, so I'm going to be stuck heading somewhere in England. By not much cash, I mean I'm hard pushed to come up with 300 quid.

So my fellow escapists, where should I go?
Not sure where you live in the uk but I would recommend either...
The new Forrest, you could go camping there and go for a walk/bike ride, I always thought it odd that the animals just roam free there but it's a nice place.
The lake district, rent a cottage maybe? I've not been myself but I've been told its peaceful and quite nice.
Cornwall, the beaches are good in the summer and they have real pasties!

Sorry bout your breakup, I hope you have a good time and are able to move foward.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Sheffield! I've been there!
The only other town I've really got to know thou is Liverpool, it's a nice city but not sure if what you are looking for.
Since I'm not English I can't give you much other advice...
Well so far you seem to be taking the breakup pretty well, keep going!

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
You and your girlfriend are split up? Sounds like you're already on vacation!

Seriously though, my condolences, a breakup can be a terrible thing. But you seem to be taking it in stride, so good on you.

I'm a filthy American, so I can't give you any advice on where to go, but my best wishes.

Suave Charlie

Pleasant Bastard
Sep 23, 2009
Get your bags packed and go to the travel agents and ask whether there's anyone that's put a deposit down but cancelled last minute. The further you fly, the further you are from your problems :D

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Not in England i know but close: Scotland? Find a cheap hotel in Edinburgh and in the day you can run excursions into the surrounding countryside In the evening maybe sample a bit of the cities nightlife? You'll have to get to know some people first though.

Alexi089

Jun 26, 2011
Summer music festivals(there are cheaper ones than Reading etc: http://www.thefestivalcalendar.co.uk/) or Centre parcs and similar holiday camps may be your best bet then. Any campsite around the UK should give similar opportunities to meet people, but it depends how outgoing your neighbors are. Look into volunteering holidays, or working holidays on farms if that's your thing.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Condolences, I hope for better times in the future for you. I'd suggest Chester, with environs. It's the only bits I've seen of England, in fairness, but they were very picturesque and pleasant bits. I'm not entirely sure about the price range, though, wether there's economic options available. Have a look online first, just in case.

It's a nice place to just be in. A good old place for a good old think.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Go from town to town working in the pubs, week at a time. My cousin and his mates did that while they were travelling the UK. At one point, they even stayed in a small town for three weeks and aside from the owner, they were all the staff a pub had while the owner was looking for permanent staff.They got a fair amount of money from it, and it was top to boot.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
CAPTCHA said:
Perhaps I should eloborate. I live in Sheffield and I'll be traveling by coach. Ideally I'm looking for a place where I get out and talk to people rather than just taking in the scenery. Saying that though, I kind of want it to be a "holidayish" place if that makes any sense. Not some sort of city-break where 99% of the people are just going about their day to day life. As for lodgings, B&B or camping are both cool.
Me and a few friends went to Mablethorpe for a holiday. It's pretty nice and the place we stayed at had a funfair for the weekend, which was great. (Dunno if you're too old for funfairs? Though personally I think no one is too old for funfairs :D )

I also live in Sheffield. Have you been to Low Bradfield? It's right past Damflask reservior (Next to the Hillsborough/Loxely area.)

That's kind of a holiday-ish place. There's usually an ice cream van in summer and a ton of people playing on the cricket field. Don't know if it's good for a full holiday, but could be a nice day trip.