[SPOILER HEAVY] Some questions about Bioshock Infinite.

Lerola

Feb 23, 2013
Hey everyone, you read the title, you you know what's about. First, the questions are not gonna be about the ending itself, they are gonna be more open and more about speculation. So, here are the questions that,even after watching all the videos and reading all the columns, I still can find. Of course, prepare yourself, this post is full o' spoilers!
1 What's with the tonics?
My first question, what is the science of tonics? I tried to think it and re think it, and unless it's magic, I still don't get it. Rapture's plasmid used genetic manipulation of the cells as it says in the novel and it tells you through the game, but the only "hint" you have is think telling how he watched some scientists through a tear. If those were Tenenbaum or someone else from Rapture, how did he manage to copy it without sea slugs and injections? Has it got something to do with quantum mechanics? Also, I don't see real adverse effects, the only one I can sorta think of is the brain creating memories (when you enter the Vox Populi world, Booker gets his memories changed, but nothing happens to Elizabeth)

2 Head, or tails? Or any other decision
Those quick decisions you make in game, do they make something except changing dialogue and something aesthetic? Why is the coin always heads?

3 A quick question about the ending
So, after overthinking I think I got the ending. Booker drowned itself so Comstock was never created, as Comstock is DeWitt after Wounded Knee starting a new life, and if he never had that decision Comstock would never be created,right?
I agree 99.42% with that statement, but as the devil's lawyer I am there is always a doubting part. If there is a new universe for every possibility that happened, happen and will happen, then why is Zackary Hale Comstock only born when Booker DeWitt starts a new life?
Why isn't there a universe where DeWitt was never born, and instead he was born as Comstock? Why isn't there one in which he became mad and became Comstock? Except for that, awesome ending that makes you think and feel at the same time.

4 Sequels?
What worries me about this kind of so big endings is that the sequel probably won't be as big as the previous one, or it will be a failure (not to mention any sequel of Rapture...).
What do we do now? We already saw all the universes, we already made genetic manipulation, what else have we got? Are we closing the Bioshock book?

Remember that this post is not just about giving concrete asnwers, but also giving your opinion! Most of these questions don't have a solid answer

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
I'll try to answer these:
1. "It's Magic". Trying to explain it through rapture is pointless - it's a technology from another world copied into this world. Booker having his memories fudge up is perhaps what happens to every normal person - but Elizabeth isn't normal, so she isn't effected the same way Booker is.
2. They don't make a difference. The real decision was the baptism Booker took, and even then you were forced to undergo it when you first came to Columbia. The coin flip only goes to show that it's all the same in all of the different universes, as each and every different player goes through the same story and completes it (The Meta-reference).
3. Comstock is Booker DeWitt. He had to live through the same experiences that pushed Booker into his alcoholism and gambling but react to it differently.
4. It depends on the creator and whether or not he has other ideas he wants to exhibit through a new Bioshock game.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
You already put "[SPOILER HEAVY]" in the title so I'm not going to bother spoiler boxing my response.

1. I don't know how they built the vigors without ADAM so I'm sure we're just meant to believe that they found some way to mimic plasimds. Maybe the fact that you drink them instead of inject them is an indicator of a different development process. Pretty loose, I know, but it's the best I got. And unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying there, the vigors have nothing to do with the new memories. The new memories form when you enter a new universe and you remember something you're quantum twin did in that universe. I figure the reason nothing happens to Elizabeth is because she's got the dimension shifting powers so dimensional shifts don't affect her so much.

2. Sometimes he says heads, sometimes he says tails but it always comes out heads. And nope, they don't change anything. And if you're referring to the fact that the chalkboard had all heads on it, it's because this isn't the first time Booker has been to Columbia. They bring you to Columbia so you and your daughter can be together, right? Here's the thing, they've tried this before, 122 times to be exact, and they all ended with Booker failing to rescue Elizabeth, you're attempt 123. The Lutece's bring that chalkboard with them every time they try to get a new Booker to rescue a new Elizabeth and the use the coin flip to see if there's any difference between attempts.

3. Comstock is the direct result of the baptism. "One man goes into the waters of baptism. A different man emerges." In goes Dewitt, out comes Comstock. The birth of Comstock *is* the baptism. If there is a universe where Zachary Hale Comstock is born, it's just somebody named Zachary Hale Comstock, they would have nothing to do with the story of Columbia.

4. If, and this is a huge if, there's another Bioshock game, I don't know where it's going to go. I'd be fine if they ended Bioshock here forever and I'd be more than happy to pick up whatever game Irrational makes. Make a new Bioshock, don't, I'm fine either way.

Lerola

Feb 23, 2013
TheIronRuler said:
1. "It's Magic". Trying to explain it through rapture is pointless - it's a technology from another world copied into this world. Booker having his memories fudge up is perhaps what happens to every normal person - but Elizabeth isn't normal, so she isn't effected the same way Booker is.
2. They don't make a difference. The real decision was the baptism Booker took, and even then you were forced to undergo it when you first came to Columbia. The coin flip only goes to show that it's all the same in all of the different universes, as each and every different player goes through the same story and completes it (The Meta-reference).
3. Comstock is Booker DeWitt. He had to live through the same experiences that pushed Booker into his alcoholism and gambling but react to it differently.
4. It depends on the creator and whether or not he has other ideas he wants to exhibit through a new Bioshock game.
1. In this one was more of an open question. What do you think it is? How do they work?
and 3: True, but the conditions could've been different than a battle in wounded knee. He could have some situation than depressed him just like the battle did and the outcome could have been Comstock, too.
Apart from those two, thanks for the other answers, I agree with them[/spoilers]

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
In regards to 3, how could he have been born as Comstock when his family name was Dewitt? I'm sure that there are other realities that didn't lead to him fighting at Wounded Knee, but I'd say those are not paths that lead to Columbia.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Lerola said:
TheIronRuler said:
1. In this one was more of an open question. What do you think it is? How do they work?
and 3: True, but the conditions could've been different than a battle in wounded knee. He could have some situation than depressed him just like the battle did and the outcome could have been Comstock, too.
Apart from those two, thanks for the other answers, I agree with them[/spoilers]
1. I dunno.
3. It wouldn't have lead to our Columbia, simple as that.

Lerola

Feb 23, 2013
Hmmm, maybe in the book they'll give us some answers about tonics, they cannot live something as important as that as a plothole. At least I hope they tell why does the creepy cutscene when you get the tonic appears...

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
1. There is no explanation. One of the bcriticisms of Bioshock Infinite is they never do explain why these powers exist. Ultimately, it's not important to the plot.
2. It's meant to drive the point home that some things are inevitable.
3. Because some things are inevitable, even when given a whole universe of possibilities. At least, that's what we're told. It's not like the drowning works, anyway.
4. I don't see why there couldn't be a different story in a different place. As for direct sequels, I don't see why not. They can casually explain anything away because of SCIENCE!(ie magic). Or just don't even bother explaining it and just push forward.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
1. There isn't much explanation other than it being a Bioshock game, and Bioshock game has plasmids.

Okay, Fink (the gunsmith) saw the various tears in Finktown as portals to the future that he took ideas from - that's why he is the best inventor. In one of those tears he must have seen the technology from Rapture that made the Plasmids, but he changed the science a bit (or saw an alternate universe form of it) that made Vigors injestable and rather harmless in comparison.

2. Nope, nothing matters.

3. If you try making sense of alternate universes, just stop. Stop. Alternate universes are the most awful plot element ever, and Bioshock Infinite is based on it.

4. Doubtfully there is going to be a new game. Maybe new DLCs. Infinite was barely a Bioshock sequel at all. Beside the Vigors, the Pinkerton mentions, and the brief Rapture scene, Infinite shares nothing in common with the first two.

Lerola

Feb 23, 2013
TheYellowCellPhone said:
3. If you try making sense of alternate universes, just stop. Stop. Alternate universes are the most awful plot element ever, and Bioshock Infinite is based on it.
They're not awful, but I need to say I am getting tired of alternate universes. Looks like is becoming the "science thread" like space was in the 70-80s. Almost every modern sci fi movie, game or series is based on that >.< And yes, I know there are still some that have not used that theme yet, but you need to confess that it is the trend of nowadays...