SPOILERS: About The New Doctor Who

pablogonzalez

Mar 18, 2011
About the new Doctor who...Fans get ready to help a dying show (possible spoilers....definite spoilers)

"lets kill hitler" just premiered in Australia
and I've decided

the new doctor who is shit....

its been shit since David Tennant left....

The Actors...Good

The Doctor....Excellent :D...but his Character....they are trying to make him to iconic too quickly

the stories...anticlimatic, incoherent, and just all around silly...

look previously it was awesome
2005-2009 it was good (2008 alright)

for example

2005 we have a plastic dolls ontrolled from the London Eye, a single Dalek taking out an entire military Base of people begore commiting suicide, 3 fat aliens taking control of the world before being blown up, and the Dalek Emperor defeated with the "heart of the TARDIS" (or something)

2006 we have a werewolf, we have the cybermen, we have the Doctor against Satan, and finally Daleks vs Cybermen

2007, The Anjels....moving when you dont see them and seding you in time to liove to death...the Master.... oh the Master...

2008, Sonta-Ha! and Davros (finally)

2009 i wont say much cos i havent seen all of the specials but yeah pretty good

but then....

2010 a race coming to destroy the earth searching for a creature who is found because everyone was texting....

The weeping anjels ....move and snap peoples next ...defeated by Gravity and being "wiped from Exsistance".....

the daleks turned into a little Gay rainbow....previously they were not even scary making them colourful is just gonna make that worse...

the sonic screwdriver now doesnt wokr on wood

and the GRAND FINALE was just a montage of the doctors enemies coming up to say "we hate the Doctor" and its defeated by "wiping the Doctor from exsistance"....but he is brought back by thinking of him....

2011 (so far) an enemy who dissapears from near and long memory when you arent looking at them...who plan to take over (basically) they are defeated by playing the 1st moon landing and showing it too the world and apparently thats like some sort of clever and climatic ending...ok a girl regenerated but we now know what thats led too

a blob of flesh wants to reconised as exsisting person....

the Cybermen have made it into Space...after previously being MADE on planet Earth....and the 'C' on their chest plate has dissapeared... How the hell?

also why was Rory wearing the roman centurion costume again? there was no need

How can we justify this?

its been premiering in America...if its been adjusting its standards just for thatthen what does that say...

alright all im asking is who can justify this?

its terrible and that last Episode (lets kill Hitler) made me want to pull my finger nails out with a set of plyers....

Anyone?

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Doctor Who isn't "dying". The BBC just released figures that show that Doctor Who is one of the top 3 money makers for them. It won't die any time soon.

Also, I like the new Who a lot, some of the stories aren't excellent. But then again, I've never tried to take the stories of a time travelling alien with two hearts who travels around in a 1963 police telephone box that is dimensionally transcendental, seriously!

pablogonzalez said:
the Cybermen have made it into Space...after previously being MADE on planet Earth....and the 'C' on their chest plate has dissapeared... How the hell?
The Cybermen have originated in different times on different planets. The "Cybus" Cybermen were not the first Cybermen, nor the last. Yes, I can't explain how they ended up in space, but if even one Cyberman survived and escaped Earth during 'Doomsday', it could have rebuilt the Cybermen. This happened in Torchwood where a Cyberman (Cyberwoman technically) survived. So it is possible. Also, I'm guessing they just look similar for continuities sake. But they were from an alternate universe so who knows where these ones came from!

Because why not?!
Rory is cool.

Kurai Angelo

Oct 12, 2009
pablogonzalez said:
Well perhaps if you had actually done some research or paid attention you would know the 'C' stands for Cybus Industries which was present when the Cybermen were introduced in an ALTERNATE UNIVERSE. These Cybermen are not the same ones from the David Tennant Series so they would not have a massive 'C' on their chest. They aren't even from Earth. Also, they haven't just made it into Space.

pablogonzalez

Mar 18, 2011
Kurai Angelo said:
Well perhaps if you had actually done some research or paid attention you would know the 'C' stands for Cybus Industries which was present when the Cybermen were introduced in an ALTERNATE UNIVERSE. These Cybermen are not the same ones from the David Tennant Series so they would not have a massive 'C' on their chest. They aren't even from Earth. Also, they haven't just made it into Space.
That was the effect of the company being Called Cybus and them having the C on their chest... it could double to mean "Cybermen"...

see!

pablogonzalez

Mar 18, 2011
TimeLord said:
Doctor Who isn't "dying". The BBC just released figures that show that Doctor Who is one of the top 3 money makers for them. It won't die any time soon.

Also, I like the new Who a lot, some of the stories aren't excellent. But then again, I've never tried to take the stories of a time travelling alien with two hearts who travels around in a 1963 police telephone box that is dimensionally transcendental, seriously!

pablogonzalez said:
The Cybermen have originated in different times on different planets. The "Cybus" Cybermen were not the first Cybermen, nor the last. Yes, I can't explain how they ended up in space, but if even one Cyberman survived and escaped Earth during 'Doomsday', it could have rebuilt the Cybermen. This happened in Torchwood where a Cyberman (Cyberwoman technically) survived. So it is possible. Also, I'm guessing they just look similar for continuities sake. But they were from an alternate universe so who knows where these ones came from!

Because why not?!
Rory is cool.

Rory is alright id give you that...but cohrence is what i ask from the Story and putting him in a centuirion outfit in this one makes no sense...

of course i know they are not the first ive seen torchwood i know they could rebuild but the thing is that they were from planet mondas in the classsic series but then died out...these new ones are epic and they amde it into the proper universe in the new doctor or the two doctors you know with that guy who thinks he is the doctor?

but ow the hell did they make it into space?
they wwerent even on the moon or anything they were deep in space as an established force.... thats my question

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
pablogonzalez said:
TimeLord said:

pablogonzalez said:

Because why not?!
Rory is cool.

Rory is alright id give you that...but cohrence is what i ask from the Story and putting him in a centuirion outfit in this one makes no sense...

of course i know they are not the first ive seen torchwood i know they could rebuild but the thing is that they were from planet mondas in the classsic series but then died out...these new ones are epic and they amde it into the proper universe in the new doctor or the two doctors you know with that guy who thinks he is the doctor?

they wwerent even on the moon or anything they were deep in space as an established force.... thats my question
I think a better question would be, as a viewer, do you want everything explained?

I certainly don't. If everything is explained, there's no speculation, nothing to talk about, or discuss. If it was revealed in series 4 that River was the child of two companions the Doctor hadn't met yet, yes it would have tied up a loose end or 12 but it took 2-3 years to finally complete that story arc and in that time there was so much speculation about who and what she was that it kept her story interesting till the end.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
pablogonzalez said:
They weren't the rubbish alternative Earth based cybermen, they are a totally different real universe lot that just happen to be exactly the same because shut up, you're watching the new Dr Who.

pablogonzalez said:
Rory is a stock "this loser is you" character, except that he's also an auton that's twice as old as the doctor is, and dresses up like a roman centurion because shut up, you're watching the new Dr Who. The new Dr Who has never been coherent, it just throws enough things at random at the audience in the hope they'll like some of it.

Yes, the last two series of Doctor who have been pretty shoddy, and this one is shaping up to be as well, but it's not like the previous ones weren't insulting your intelligence either. Admittedly, Moffat seems hell bent on proving he can fuck things up more than Davies could, but not by all that much, really. The Doctor's Wife was a good story. Zero and the Bear Below weren't that bad. The two parter with the gangers was very cliched, but it was a decent cliche.

The previous seasons including Midnight, which was decent, and Blink, which was very good, but almost all the rest was crap.

pablogonzalez

Mar 18, 2011
TimeLord said:
pablogonzalez said:
TimeLord said:

pablogonzalez said:

Because why not?!
Rory is cool.

I think a better question would be, as a viewer, do you want everything explained?

I certainly don't. If everything is explained, there's no speculation, nothing to talk about, or discuss. If it was revealed in series 4 that River was the child of two companions the Doctor hadn't met yet, yes it would have tied up a loose end or 12 but it took 2-3 years to finally complete that story arc and in that time there was so much speculation about who and what she was that it kept her story interesting till the end.
I dont want everyting explained

really i like some build up to a CLIMATIC finale

i just want the important things to be explained... like the Cybermen reaching space...

even so there oculd of been a few different BETTER endings to that story Arc...

still i like Alex Kingston...a bit more then like O_O

pablogonzalez

Mar 18, 2011
thaluikhain said:
pablogonzalez said:
They weren't the rubbish alternative Earth based cybermen, they are a totally different real universe lot that just happen to be exactly the same because shut up, you're watching the new Dr Who.

pablogonzalez said:
Rory is a stock "this loser is you" character, except that he's also an auton that's twice as old as the doctor is, and dresses up like a roman centurion because shut up, you're watching the new Dr Who. The new Dr Who has never been coherent, it just throws enough things at random at the audience in the hope they'll like some of it.

Yes, the last two series of Doctor who have been pretty shoddy, and this one is shaping up to be as well, but it's not like the previous ones weren't insulting your intelligence either. Admittedly, Moffat seems hell bent on proving he can fuck things up more than Davies could, but not by all that much, really. The Doctor's Wife was a good story. Zero and the Bear Below weren't that bad. The two parter with the gangers was very cliched, but it was a decent cliche.

The previous seasons including Midnight, which was decent, and Blink, which was very good, but almost all the rest was crap.
the pre- 2010 season had a build up...a good story... a decent sub plot...and a GOOD finale

it just cant be shut up its the new doctor who

they were the new Doctor who

nowadays... i know they were a different race of cybermen but how the hell did they get into space and lose the C chestplate?

on that topic in media res is not gonna cut it...

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
TimeLord said:
Doctor Who isn't "dying". The BBC just released figures that show that Doctor Who is one of the top 3 money makers for them.
I know it's not related, but I'm wondering what the other 2 above it were, if you still know.

OT: I'unno. I like it. I like the new doctor, I like pretty much anything. David was good, pretty much all his episodes were. But these ones there's something abou them I like. For some reason, I'm also finding the monsters scarier this time around. Maybe that's just me. All I know is it's all personal taste.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
pablogonzalez said:
It was shit a long time before that.

David Tennnant is a great actor and he did some of my favourite episodes, but he was frequently written to look like the most wangsty person on earth. The amount of ineffectual angst in some of the episodes he did at the height of his career is just unbearable to me, and yet I fully accept that a lot of people clearly loved that shit and seem to think of it as some kind of golden age. Maybe this is a thing about lots of science fiction fans having been raised on anime, but histronic melodrama which never actually goes anywhere is just teeth pulling to me.

Even when they tried to pull him out of this and make him actually effectual it just looked schizophrenic.

pablogonzalez said:
...the Master.... oh the Master...
Do you remember how they resolved that plot arc?

"It's okay everyone.. the people of earth believe in the Doctor. Now everything will go back to normal because of the power of faith!"

What the giant epic fuck..

I loved John Simm as the master. I loved the Toclafane, but that whole ending was basically Russell T Davies having a giant fan-wank in your face.

The one thing you can say about the new episodes is that they tend to have good writing. I genuinely cracked up at a couple of points in "Let's Kill Hitler". They're also much less guilty of trying to pull the emotion out of things which actually aren't very moving or deep by playing sad violin music while David Tennant does puppy eyes. Occasionally, just occasionally, it works.. but doing it every other episode just gave it no meaning.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
pablogonzalez said:

i just want the important things to be explained... like the Cybermen reaching space...

But how many ways could the Cybermen end up where they are. I'll quote Rory from 'A Good Man Goes To War';

"The 12th Cyber legion..."

That's all I feel I need to quote. Information is right there. There are at least 12 "legions" like the one the Doctor blew up for giggles. Meaning they are everywhere, monitoring everything. It could be entirely possible that the Cybermen were already in this universe before the alternate Cybus models were created. They could have travelled into the alternate universe and planted their technology in Cybus Industries to create an army in an alternate universe and bring them back to this one. Knowing the Doctor had no way of monitoring "Pete's World". Something goes wrong, they evacuate back to this universe. The Cybus-men are developed by Lumic for his own purpose.

That was entirely off of my head based on Rory's scene in AGMGTW. I'm not saying it is right or the best explanation. But it was fun to think it up. Basically, what I'm saying is that I don't mind information holes like this one. You might, and fair enough to you.

pablogonzalez

Mar 18, 2011
evilthecat said:
pablogonzalez said:
It was shit a long time before that.

David Tennnant is a great actor and he did some of my favourite episodes, but whoever was directing at the point seemed determined to make him look like the most wangsty person on earth. The amount of ineffectual angst in some of the episodes he did at the height of his career is just unbearable, and people fucking loved it. Maybe this is a thing about lots of science fiction fans having been raised on anime, but histronic melodrama which never actually goes anywhere is just teeth pulling.

pablogonzalez said:
...the Master.... oh the Master...
Do you remember how they resolved that plot arc?

"It's okay everyone.. the people of earth believe in the Doctor. Now everything will go back to normal because of the power of faith!"

What the giant epic fuck..

I loved John Simm as the master. I loved the Toclafane, but that whole ending was basically Russell T Davies having a giant fan-wank in your face.

The one think you can say about the new episodes is that they tend to have good writing. I genuinely cracked up at a couple of points in "Let's Kill Hitler", and they're much less guilty of trying to pull the emotion out of things which actually aren't very moving or deep by playing sad violin music while David Tennant does puppy eyes. Occasionally, just occasionally, it works.. but doing it every other episode just gave it no meaning.
the master had a build up

although the ending was a bit dissapointing he was SHOT
that was the grand ending for Doctor Who 2007 was that the Doctor was now OFFICIALLY the last time lord... THAT was a good ending...

honestly the cheesiness and complete loss of the previous seasons themes in LEts kill hitler made me want to place a working drill into my skull

pablogonzalez

Mar 18, 2011
TimeLord said:
pablogonzalez said:

But how many ways could the Cybermen end up where they are. I'll quote Rory from 'A Good Man Goes To War';

"The 12th Cyber legion..."

That's all I feel I need to quote. Information is right there. There are at least 12 "legions" like the one the Doctor blew up for giggles. Meaning they are everywhere, monitoring everything. It could be entirely possible that the Cybermen were already in this universe before the alternate Cybus models were created. They could have travelled into the alternate universe and planted their technology in Cybus Industries to create an army in an alternate universe and bring them back to this one. Knowing the Doctor had no way of monitoring "Pete's World". Something goes wrong, they evacuate back to this universe. The Cybus-men are developed by Lumic for his own purpose.

That was entirely off of my head based on Rory's scene in AGMGTW. I'm not saying it is right or the best explanation. But it was fun to think it up. Basically, what I'm saying is that I don't mind information holes like this one. You might, and fair enough to you.
that could work but

....the series didnt say a WORD about it....

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
pablogonzalez said:
TimeLord said:

River Song's identity was a mystery. It was stated it was a mystery, the characters wondered what it was, but didn't know. That's fair enough.

Now, alot of the unexplained stuff is just unexplained. It's not part of a mystery, it's not been set up for a big reveal later on, it just makes little sense because the writers don't spend any time on it. Not the same thing at all.

pablogonzalez said:
the pre- 2010 season had a build up...a good story... a decent sub plot...and a GOOD finale
Well, if you like Jesus Tinkerbell Doctor for one, or chucking ever character in a twenty minute splurge for another, I guess.

pablogonzalez said:
nowadays... i know they were a different race of cybermen but how the hell did they get into space and lose the C chestplate?
Um...they'd always been in space, and never had the letter C on their chestplate.

Forget the stupid alternative Earth nonsense. The Cybermen had always been in space, from Mondas or Telos or Planet 14. The attacked the Earth, or the Moon, or Space Stations or Voga via spaceships, and none of those had human letters on their Chestplates, being a totally alien race and all, even if they started off humanish, and could process captured humans.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
pablogonzalez said:
although the ending was a bit dissapointing he was SHOT

that was the grand ending for Doctor Who 2007 was that the Doctor was now OFFICIALLY the last time lord... THAT was a good ending...
Except it wasn't ending because they dug up the corpse for that godawful Christmas/New Years special, which might have been entitled 'let's put an awesome character through a blender and try to play them for ineffectual wangst, again'

Seriously, I'm not going to buy the line that the David Tennant era was some kind of golden age.

pablogonzalez said:
honestly the cheesiness and complete loss of the previous seasons themes in LEts kill hitler made me want to place a working drill into my skull
Which of the previous series themes? If anything, they've carried this whole plot along longer than ever.

Alexlion

May 2, 2011
pablogonzalez said:
thaluikhain said:
pablogonzalez said:

pablogonzalez said:

it just cant be shut up its the new doctor who

they were the new Doctor who

on that topic in media res is not gonna cut it...

Right there where ALWAYS cybermen in the doctors reality they originated on a different planet and where capable of travelling to earth to mess things up there in the original series thats why they are in space now, they cybermans first appearance was in 1967 so its understandable you dont know that.

Plus Russell t Davies was probably the best writer doctor who had of course his successor is gunna try to write like he did and fail. And ill be honest the most recent episodes have gone a bit wtf crazy but it is doctor who after all lol :p.

And honestly doctor every different doctor is different and writen slightly different its what gives the series a longevity, quality occasionally takes a knock from variety but if we had the same thing over and over the series would have died 40 years ago.

Also check out the "The Talons of Weng-Chiang" if you think the series writing has gotten worse :p, remember if you dont like this doctor or writer there will be another one in a couple of years :).

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Best of the 3 said:
TimeLord said:
Doctor Who isn't "dying". The BBC just released figures that show that Doctor Who is one of the top 3 money makers for them.
I know it's not related, but I'm wondering what the other 2 above it were, if you still know.

OT: I'unno. I like it. I like the new doctor, I like pretty much anything. David was good, pretty much all his episodes were. But these ones there's something abou them I like. For some reason, I'm also finding the monsters scarier this time around. Maybe that's just me. All I know is it's all personal taste.
It was actually 5 now that I re-read by source, but still. The top 5 "Power Brand" BBC programs;

Top Gear, Doctor Who, Lonely Planet, Dancing with the Stars and BBC Earth.
I don't think that list is in order. But since they licensed Top Gear and Doctor Who to America, it wouldn't surprise me.

pablogonzalez said:
that could work but

....the series didnt say a WORD about it....
That's entirely my point. By saying nothing, they don't disappoint everyone with a shoddy explanation. Everyone can believe what they want to believe. See also, the Doomsday Arcade Finale.

It's easier and more appeasing for them to say, "Make up your own reasons" with something so small, than say "It's happened like this. Deal with it"

Luke3184

Jun 4, 2011
thaluikhain said:
pablogonzalez said:

pablogonzalez said:

Doctors wife was written by Neil Gaiman not Moffat, so you know, back your point up a bit ;)