*spoilers* Fable 2 has the worst/most disturbing storyline I've ever experienced; not cool

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
*massive spoilers and also, I'm not trolling or trying to flame*

Before certain somebodies start attacking me, I want to tell you all I'm not trolling. Merely looking for rational minds to 'help convince me' that what I'm arguing isn't true. Because you see, I -want- to like Fable 2. But the thing is, I just can't lie to myself. The ending is absolutely -horrible-, and I will explain why, under the following premises:

Edited Premise for Clarification: A game is meant to satisfy you. For example, a game with a 'bad ending' can still be 'satisfying', if executed correctly. There are many games, for example, where the protagonist dies at the end, and I still find myself loving those. In short, a game isn't meant to leave you feeling 'sick or disgusted', wishing that you hadn't played the game in the first place.

So under that premise, I'm practically begging you to challenge me, b/c I'm convinced that Fable 2 has one of the most horrific storylines ever. And please, no immature comments/arguments, I can see straight past those (not meant to be offensive, just matter of fact)

#1. Hammer is a jerk: Throughout the game, I really liked Hammer. She was nice, and one of the few people in Albion with a personality. However, things turned very bad after I beat the game choosing the "Love" ending, which resurrects your dog. She literally says something like "well since you care so little about people (referencing that you didn't save the spire-workers), why didn't you just take the money?!". Seeing that she was a) my good friend b) someone who experienced the loss of a family members, and c) the capability to -even say this-, it makes her a jerk essentially. It's an incredibly callous thing to say, and rendered her as another 'hated' character in Fable 2. I can't believe for the life of me that PM would allow such a horrible line of dialogue to be said..It only supports the notion that the game consistently 'preaches' to you to be 'unrealistically good'.

#2. Reaver is a jerk, and they don't let you kill him/get justice. First off, he turns you old/gray (assuming you choose the moral choice), and secondly, he kills Barnum. Barnum was a loved character that grew up with you since you were a child, and he just killed him in 2 seconds. To make things even worse, he betrays you. After -all- this BS, you can't enact any vengeance on him. This is poorly done, because it means you're just left being po-ed. A good game has resolution, not pent-up unfinished business.

#3. Albion villagers are unlikable at heart. This is something we all know; they insult you taking your weapon out for no reason, and then praise your farting prowess the next. So this leaves you with little incentive to do 'sacrificial' choices. However, PM made it seem like throughout the whole game, he was 'preaching at you'. Like Hammer being rude at the end for no reason. Basically throughout the whole game, being sacrificial/good seemed the only thing the game wanted you to be. There was no incentive to be evil really except being a jerk in general, which is in total contrast to 'evil done right' in games like Fallout 3

#4. My brother said something that hit home with me: Fable 2 has a storyline that leaves you feeling 'sick to your stomach' (literally) after its conclusion (that is, if you -think- about your storylines). It is also, essentially, "Portal if *spoilers* Glados won *end spoilers*"

For those who haven't picked up on this yet, refer to this:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=927246&topic=48565446

Long story short is essentially that Theresa was using you as her 'pawn' the entire game. This leaves you with a nasty/unfinished business aftertaste. To make things worse, PM doesn't give you any sense of closure. None-what-so-ever.

So you were punked. You wasted all your time, and to make matters worse, you furthered the cause of evil. Under my premise, games should never make you 'feel like crap' after you are finished. That just ruins the entire experience. It's like one of those early-time horror movies that kill off all the cast, leaving the villain victorious

#5. There is a massive 'to be continued' label on the game's ending, besides Theresa's betrayal. What are left with? Assuming you were unfortunate enough to choose the sacrificial ending, you are left with a bunch of Albions that still get unreasonably upset with you, and no dog to live a lonely life. If you chose the love-pathway, you get a passive-aggressive Hammer, and yet, still annoying feeling that you were punked by Theresa, dissed by Hammer (the fact that she does this at all also ruins her relationship with you in the 'good ending' because you -know- she 'would've' said that insensitive line anyway, abused by Reaver, and well, everyone else with a likable personality is dead, like Barnum. Lastly (yes there is more), there are storyline threads that end up going nowhere:

So Theresa is evil, but what the heck does she want? Tying things together with the Fable 1 storyline, it is still hard to see what is going on. We have certain clues. Like the burning fire scene with the music box. But the trail still goes cold. Also, what the hell is with that music box. It certainly plays a -huge- role in everything, but is also, sloppily left unexplained.

The only feeling you are left with is dissatisfaction. A putrid aftertaste that you cannot justify at all. Right now I'm not merely disappointed; I feel a sense of aversion towards the game... (recall my original premise)

Excuse: "But there will be a Fable 3 to solve all this"

I want to let you know I don't fancy this response in the least, because it doesn't solve the issue at hand. Fable 2's ending makes me sick in a way that makes me question if it was ever worth playing at all. And I say for any game, this is surely a tragedy. I wanted to rate it a 8.5 starting, then a 9.0 mid-late game, and then an 8.0-8.5 after beating it the first time. Now after the 2nd playthrough (with Hammer's reaction via the 'love-path'), I just want to stick in the 7-8 region. The battle system was fun, and the story seemed good up to the point where everything fell apart, but that doesn't fix anything as a whole package. Sadly, I was really enjoying it until the end, that is, when everything ultimately fell into the disturbing and unsatisfying mess that it was meant to be.

I don't enjoy Horror Movies that toy with my heart-strings like that, and I certainly do not respect Fable 2 for doing this either. Left with no closure, a big slap in the face, and a hook to buy yet another installment, I'm just left feeling sick and betrayed (since the original fable was so good). Fable2 is just unbelievably 'unfair' with how it treats you, and PM is much too preachy and cruel.

I hope people don't take this as an assault, I am merely explaining my true feelings. I'm also calling out the elites to please prove me wrong. I need someone who 'really' knows who he's/she's talking about. What happened in all this mess? Where can I find closure? Why do you think the story is good; can you make sense out of anything besides the whole "fable 3 is coming" approach. Or did anyone else feel the way I did? And what the heck is going on with that music box, it's the only thing I haven't figured out yet (I've figured out Lucian, Theresa, etc. etc.)

Thanks

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Theresa is evil? I do not think so... Also you forgot to mention Ron Glass' character

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Simriel said:
Theresa is evil? I do not think so... Also you forgot to mention Ron Glass' character
Just so we can stop this one in the rut for future posts to come: Theresa's evil nature is not really debatable.

Proof:

http://fable.wikia.com/wiki/Theresa

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
I haven't played Fable and after reading this am glad i picked something else

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
I'm not trying to bash the game, either. I'm being completely honest. The game's storyline was so badly planned/structured that I am having trouble sleeping tonight due to all the questionable choices. It's 5am where I am right now, and I'm incredibly bothered by the details of it all! I wish my mind could be set at peace, that is why I wish an elite can answer some of my questions (someone who had dug into the storyline as deep as me)

Also, this is The Escapist, which tends to have more mature conversations than other boards. I'm betting on this as well.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
antipunt said:
Simriel said:
Just so we can stop this one in the rut for future posts to come: Theresa's evil nature is not really debatable.

Proof:

http://fable.wikia.com/wiki/Theresa
Huh... Well that's me convinced. I guess i out my paranoid nature to the side for once.

Archaon6044

Oct 21, 2008
no it's not just you. i thought that Hammer needed hitting after her comment for choosing 'Love', Reaver is a massive jerk-wad who NEEDS killing, i actually liked Barnum more than my dog. I find it impossible to connect with that mutt, because he was forced on me. i was more upset when my Dogmeat died on Fallout 3, because i went and found him, and brought him with me. no matter that he was optional, i really liked him.

the ending in general is absolute [expletive deleted]. no boss fight, just a "Hold Button to Win" event, but i thought the story in general was pretty weak, Theresa betraying you (and from something Lucien said, i suspect she was playing with him as well).

By the end of the game, the only person i actually gave a crap about was Garth, because he was the only one who didn't behave like a dick at any point, and because of the spire escape.
When you get hammer, you do all the work, so there's no connection there, Reaver's a dick from the start, and at that point in the game, you're a powerhouse of kick-ass so you just kill everything, but the spire escape is actually challenging, because you aren't amazingly powered, and you have shockingly bad equipment, so you have to rely on Garth killing shit for you, and you have to keep them of his back, and the fight with the Commandant is great, because it's the closest thing there is to a boss fight, and it can be very challenging.

i was dissapointed with Fable2 overall, because of the way they made it "accessible" to casual gamers. they basicly nerfed the whole thing. if you're more than proficient at gaming, then you just waltz through it basicly unchallenged

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Archaon6044 said:
no it's not just you.
It's a definite relief to know this, but at the same time, it saddens me b/c a part of me really wanted to like Fable 2

i thought that Hammer needed hitting after her comment for choosing 'Love', Reaver is a massive jerk-wad who NEEDS killing, i actually liked Barnum more than my dog
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt kicked in the balls with regards to the way Barnum was killed. Did PM ever consider how the audience would feel with regards to his story decisions?!

By the end of the game, the only person i actually gave a crap about was Garth, because he was the only one who didn't behave like a dick at any point, and because of the spire escape.
ditto, actually

videot76

Aug 20, 2008
The worst part is that Barnum was actually killed for "comic relief"... How callous is that?

And while I agree on all the above points and more, I also disliked Garth because he doesn't seem to appreciate how the hero had to endure ten years of slavery and abuse JUST FOR HIS DAMNED SAKE! Sure, it was only a sign that said "Ten years later" and my family didn't even notice I was gone, but it's abuse and slavery for ten years all the same and Garth is still a la-la land "everything is immaterial" jerkwad who doesn't understand that not everyone views the world from the same angle as he does.
And the "choice" at the end is insulting - if the artifact has all that power, why can't we have all three at once? Nooo, that would be greedy and choices must have consequences...THAT is how PM thinks morality plays are written. He should be forced to play "Planescape:Torment" until his head implodes.

Fable 2 left a bad taste in my mouth and a worse feeling of having wasted another portion of my life on totally unworthy material. Luckily, two hours of Saint's Row 2 restored my faith in fun (and passably well-written...that comparison says EVERYTHING about Fable 2) gaming.

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
I enjoyed the game up until a certain creature was killed, then I began to notice almost all of the points you mentioned.
EDIT: after reading that wiki page i knew Theresa's voice sounded familiar, she was Madam Hooch.

Matronadena

Mar 11, 2009
I've always chosen to revive the innocents lost in there.. sacrificing the needs of the few for the many, and I always got a very fitting reply from her ( sucks without the dog, but then again get knothole and resurrect your dog)

LockandKey

Feb 22, 2009
Dude the Ending made me want to eat my X-box, God it was horrible.

Also if for nothing but the ending Fable1>>>Fable2

God the Hero from Fable1 better be alive to finish what he failed. (you dont honestly think he could die form old age when Great grandapa Scythe is still Pimpin)

Also Why couldn't I choose to drop the Seal of darkness and leave Reaver to age. I really wiched he would have fought you Just so you could kill him. But I have to say A class manipulation by Theresa she has learned something in 500 years.

Also I do wonder about why she couldn't kill Lucian herself she is implied to be powerfull (Stonger than Twinblade atleast) and has had 500 years to train you had 10.

GregorV

Aug 22, 2006
antipunt said:
Premise: A game is supposed to make you feel good
I just can't agree with the premise.

I don't understand why a game (or a film, or a book) is supposed to make one feel good? In fact, the most relevant works of modern art are usually quite the opposite. The whole Fable II experience is so good precisely because it's not black and white and actually makes you uncomfortable and think. Not many games can claim to have artistic storytelling value, but Fable II can certainly do so.

Ph0t0n1c Ph34r

Feb 25, 2009
Yeah, the story line sucked, but Garth kicks ass.
I aslo was wondering if Theresa was the same Theresa form the first Fable, because I killed that *****.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
videot76 said:
The worst part is that Barnum was actually killed for "comic relief"... How callous is that?
I completely agree. It pissed me off, and I was just waiting to kill Reaver.

THAT is how PM thinks morality plays are written. He should be forced to play "Planescape:Torment" until his head implodes.
I agree, PM has completely disappointed me with his 'writing/characters dialogue'. I don't know what he was thinking. There was also that 'ghost quest' where you are practically -FORCED- to marry a girl, or get 'evil points'. It made absolutely -no sense- whatsoever

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Matronadena said:
sucks without the dog, but then again get knothole and resurrect your dog
this is interesting. Can you explain this? (Though I'd like to throw in, Hammer still would disappoint me because she has the 'callousness to say that line' to -begin with-).

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
LockandKey said:
Also I do wonder about why she couldn't kill Lucian herself she is implied to be powerfull (Stonger than Twinblade atleast) and has had 500 years to train you had 10.
I'm pretty sure the plot goes something like she is stuck in some void, or rather. I'm not completely sure, but it's pretty certain she is weak in her current state. My unofficial guess is that she tricks all of you to make the spire -so that- she could recover her power.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
GregorV said:
antipunt said:
Premise: A game is supposed to make you feel good
I just can't agree with the premise.

I don't understand why a game (or a film, or a book) is supposed to make one feel good? In fact, the most relevant works of modern art are usually quite the opposite. The whole Fable II experience is so good precisely because it's not black and white and actually makes you uncomfortable and think. Not many games can claim to have artistic storytelling value, but Fable II can certainly do so.
I agree with your general premise that a game isn't necessarily made to make you 'feel good'. I'm sorry, it was sloppy wording on my part. However, I still stand by my original premise, only to modify it to make more sense to you:

Premise: A game should not leave you feeling sick to your stomach, akin
to playing Portal and being killed by Glados in the fire scene
. No game should ever be that 'unsatisfactory'.

There are plenty of games that make you feel 'saddened with in withdrawal/thought', but they always reach some sort of resolution.

Fable 2 strikes me as more of a horror-movie flick that kills off all the cast at the end. I never liked those movies at all. zombies win, essentially.