(Spoilers!) Portal 2 almost a horror game.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Spoiler warning again.

Portal 2 is a fun and kind of cute game. But if you pay attention to the plot you see that a lot of horrible things have happened, are happening and will happen.

Valve kept the esrb low using comedy (black comedy, but still) and avoiding gore and specially these not putting in the game these ultra-creepy sound files:

Beta-players found this unnerving. So it was put out.

Also:

The guy who voiced Cave Johnson refused to voice the scene where Caroline was turned into Glados, because he was too disturbed by it.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Grahav said:
Spoiler warning again.

Portal 2 is a fun and kind of cute game. But if you pay attention to the plot you see that a lot of horrible things have happened, are happening and will happen.

Valve kept the esrb low using comedy (black comedy, but still) and avoiding gore and specially these not putting in the game these ultra-creepy sound files:

Also:

The guy who voiced Cave Johnson refused to voice the scene where Caroline was turned into Glados, because he was too disturbed by it.
I really don't find the first one that unnerving, glados is supposed to be a maniacal machine.
Also questioning the legitimacy of the cave johnson thing, considering the fact that cave was supposed to be glados and chose caroline to be his successor should he die before the process was ready.
Also it sounds like a terrible process, but isn't it supposed to be a download of brain info? Its not like they're cutting her open and stuffing her brain into a machine cybermen style.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Rednog said:
Grahav said:
Spoiler warning again.

Also:

I really don't find the first one that unnerving, glados is supposed to be a maniacal machine.
Also questioning the legitimacy of the cave johnson thing, considering the fact that cave was supposed to be glados and chose caroline to be his successor should he die before the process was ready.
Also it sounds like a terrible process, but isn't it supposed to be a download of brain info? Its not like they're cutting her open and stuffing her brain into a machine cybermen style.
Maybe ins't that terrible, but Aperture criations have the bad habit of not working how it should, GLaDOS is a good exemple of that...

And when I was playing I though the game to be very funny, but when I was done I start to think in the game was a general and though that in reality the plot is very, very dark but Valve hide it with humor... Damn Valve, that has brillant and evil... I liked.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
That first one reminded me a tiny bit of AM's speech from I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream. Only a little though.

But even with that, it wouldn't class as a horror game. Maybe with a COMPLETELY different sountrack, different aesthetic, different gameplay and different dialogue it could be. I mean, the story's there - ancient, decaying laboratory of mad science is a pretty solid basis for a horror setting - but... everything else kind of gets in the way.