SpongeBob Launches Twitter Exclusive Story

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
SpongeBob Launches Twitter Exclusive Story

Who tweets from a pineapple under the sea?

One of Nickelodeon's biggest stars, the loveable SpongeBob Squarepants, is going all Web 2.0 with a brand new story told exclusively on the social network, Twitter. The story, called "The Ice Race Cometh" will also serve as a run up for the SpongeBob primetime special "Frozen Face Off," which airs on July 15th.

In "The Ice Race Cometh," a mysterious and wealthy entrepreneur offers a million dollar grand prize to the winner of the "The Bikini Bottom Great Sleigh Race." Over the course of three days, race participants, which includes SpongeBob [https://twitter.com/#!/SpongeBob], Squidward [http://twitter.com/#!/Squidward], and - rather bizarrely - Gary [http://twitter.com/#!/GaryTheSnail], SpongeBob's pet sea snail, will tweet back and forth in anticipation of the race itself.

Roland Poindexter, Nickelodeon's senior vice president of animation and current series, said that Spongebob had a wide appeal and was popular with adults as well as kids. The Twitter story, he said, would give those fans a new way to experience and enjoy Spongebob's adventures. According to Poindexter, Spongebob is already a big deal on social networking sites, with more than 25 million fans on Facebook.

Obviously, this is as much a marketing stunt as it is an effort to give fans more ways to experience the magic of SpongeBob. That said, it's not a bad way to drum up some extra excitement, as it doesn't require people to really do anything, and it's not particularly resource intensive. "The Ice Race Cometh" starts on Tuesday July 12th, and runs until July 15th.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
That's... New. Props to nickelodeon to come up with the idea. TV shows need to use the internet more actively like this (just as MLP gave a shoutout to their brony fanbase in a video they put out on the net).

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
*looks at first Facebook post response*

There is no limit to the cynicism of some people. This is an awesome idea.

Kerob

Jul 4, 2011
Pinkamena said:
That's... New. Props to nickelodeon to come up with the idea. TV shows need to use the internet more actively like this (just as MLP gave a shoutout to their brony fanbase in a video they put out on the net).
It's a pretty good gimmick and it'll appeal to everyone I'm sure. As said above, "Props to Nickelodeon".

I hope the people who actually tweet as Spongebob, Patrick etc don't get too involved.. though it would be funny.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Kerob said:
Pinkamena said:
It's a pretty good gimmick and it'll appeal to everyone I'm sure. As said above, "Props to Nickelodeon".

I hope the people who actually tweet as Spongebob, Patrick etc don't get too involved.. though it would be funny.
That's why you would want things to go terribly wrong

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
It is an... interesting idea. Kinda reminds me of the "If History Had a Facebook Page" thing.

skywalkerlion

Jun 21, 2009
Spongebob is one of the, if not the best show on television, and easily the best animated show ever. For this reason, I can only love this idea.

Oxymoronical

Feb 19, 2010
The Royal Shakespeare company did this a while ago, with the story of Romeo and Juliet, it was called "Such tweet sorrow". I'm happy to see more things like that, when done correctly it's great.