Spore, Civ 4 Designer Defends Used Games

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
Spore, Civ 4 Designer Defends Used Games

Myth: everybody hates the used games market, except for players (and GameStop).

Lately, there recent essay [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87370-Epic-President-Dumps-On-Used-Games-Piracy] titled "The Case for Used Games," game designer Soren Johnson (known for is work on Civilization 4 and Spore) explains why used game sales are not the devil in the flesh.

Curiously, Johnson begins his treatise by defending GameStop [http://www.gamestop.com/]. The retailer indeed peddles new games and accessories, but it also moves a ton of used games through its lucrative trade-in program. Johnson argues GameStop is an actual part of the gaming industry and an important one at that. "One has a hard time imagining how the overall games market would be healthier without a strong retail chain dedicated purely to gaming," he notes.

Furthermore, Johnson says the used games market increases buyers' perceived vale of new games. "People will pay more for a new game because they know they can get some of that money back when they trade it in at the local GameStop," he said. "Importantly, this perceived value exists whether the consumer actually sells the game or keeps it."

Much like matinee movie tickets, lower airline prices on weekends, and even different versions of Windows, used games are often the only affordable option for many gamers (including younger players) to purchase games. He suggests it's important for the industry to keep these "price-sensitive" customers in the system and away from software piracy. Also, bringing in more players to purchase and enjoy the games developers have created - even if they're used - is a good thing. It promotes growth in the gaming community and word of mouth sales that can prove beneficial, he said.

With another angle to the ongoing argument now out in the open, it's time for you, the players, to weigh in on the subject.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
He also missed that buying a game used and finding you loved it could mean buying the sequel brand new. I bought Morrowind used a while after it was released, but thought it was so awesome bought Oblivion...wait, no, I also got that used since it was the limited edition for cheap.

I'd think of a better example, but I haven't really bought used in a long time, and usually only when I'm strapped for cash or can't find the game new.

Still! My point is a valid one. Gears of War 2 sold astronomically already, and I guarantee you a lot of people that bought it day one had bought the first title used.

Similarly, let's say someone randomly picks up Psychonauts used and loves it. They look at the name Double Fine and start to pay more attention to it, giving them awareness to Brutal Legend.

On the other hand, it isn't like GameStop helps new game sales as well. Because they make profit off of game reservations (forget exactly how, I'd have to find the huge ass write up on it), they push people into reserving games brand new. This means they help studios sell their games on day one (though usually only if you are a huge developer, but huge developers are typically the ones bitching).

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Elurindel said:
Here's an idea: Make games we want to keep!
Lol, I think that is the perfect response! I always look in the used game bin but unfortunately most of it is garbage, sometimes I find a main stream game though (doesn't make it better).

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
I don't see why everyone has suddenly started complaining about used games... I mean its not as if its a new thing thats happened. People have been buying pre owned games for ages.

Greyhawk

Sep 29, 2008
My beef with Gamestop's used game buisness is two-fold.

Firstly, when you purchase a new game any time after the street date, the sales associate tries to pressure you into buying a used copy, saying how its "just as good as a new one" and "you can bring it back if you don't like it, no questions asked." I literally had to pull one of the more persistent ones aside and tell him, in no uncertain terms, that "If I wanted to buy a used copy of a game, I would have walked up to the counter with a used copy in my hand."

Secondly, their quality control of used games is atrocious, especially with games on optical media. All they check for when you bring in a used game is that the media is there and that it isn't covered in crud or in pieces. Most don't even boot test them in a console. After four straight used PS2 games locking up because of disc damage, I swore off used optical media games all together. I may pay extra for a sealed copy on eBay, but I at least know that any damage done is no fault but my own.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
What, acknowledge our consumers aren't made of money? God forbid! This is blasphemy! This is madness!

...Madness? No...

THIS! IS! GAMESTOP!