Spore rant thread

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I decided I should create a thread for people to rant about Spore in.

So, I'll start it off then:

It looks nothing like the E3 2007 version, in that you can't put plants on lifeless planets to eventually cause an atmosphere to form, fire any of your weapons from space, there is no longer a Close Encounters style mini-game to establish a language with a new species, colonies can't be placed in a system unless there is NO sentient life in that system(!), blood seems to have been removed and the game feels very stupid as a whole, even when you're blowing up planets!

The game perhaps would've been better as a Sim game, where you start out on planet Earth as a Sim scientist in a futuristic spaceship, who explores the universe, interacting with strange creatures and planets and if you're really nasty, causing entire galaxies to explode.

Sigh...

milomalo

Mar 29, 2008
i got it for free... as a gift and its a good game plays better on mac that pc thats all i have to say

ShadeOfRed

Jan 20, 2008
Patience. Look on GameFAQS, read some reviews. People are angry about Spore. But the only things I'm pissed about are the ones you said. And it really sucks when you Terraform a planet and accidentally place a signel sentient lifeform and can find and kill it. Grrrrr...

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Booze Zombie post=9.72577.765152 said:
No one else is angry about Spore? Really?!
Anger kinda gassed itself out three weeks ago and yielded to yawning indifference.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Every time I think about those E3 2007 videos, I still get angry over the lost genius, which is why I made this thread.

Spore had so much going for it... DAMN YOU WILL WRIGHT!

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
SimuLord post=9.72577.765178 said:
Anger kinda gassed itself out three weeks ago and yielded to yawning indifference.
So it went the course of all things hated in the gaming world.

Ixus Illwrath

Feb 9, 2008
Thank god Warhammer online came out quickly enough to sweep me off my feet and save me from the abomination known as Spore

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
Booze Zombie post=9.72577.765225 said:
Every time I think about those E3 2007 videos, I still get angry over the lost genius, which is why I made this thread.

Spore had so much going for it... DAMN YOU WILL WRIGHT!
Dude...calm down

Dec 1, 2007
Booze Zombie post=9.72577.765077 said:
I decided I should create a thread for people to rant about Spore in.

So, I'll start it off then:

It looks nothing like the E3 2007 version, in that you can't put plants on lifeless planets to eventually cause an atmosphere to form, fire any of your weapons from space, there is no longer a Close Encounters style mini-game to establish a language with a new species, colonies can't be placed in a system unless there is NO sentient life in that system(!), blood seems to have been removed and the game feels very stupid as a whole, even when you're blowing up planets!

The game perhaps would've been better as a Sim game, where you start out on planet Earth as a Sim scientist in a futuristic spaceship, who explores the universe, interacting with strange creatures and planets and if you're really nasty, causing entire galaxies to explode.

Sigh...
I had fantasies of creating a dolphin-nazi empire and sterilizing the universe with some terrible hybrid plant that was like that stuff Zerg colonies lay down.

After the initial "RAWR!" I actually played the game. I think you should do that, and then you'll realize this is a game for the Sims crowd. Which, like it or not, was a very simple game at heart. I imagine Will Wright thought getting to fiddle with aesthetics would be enough, and spent the majority of his innovation money on blow.

insectoid

Aug 19, 2008
I didn't really follow the "Spore train" through E3 etc.

I don't like The Sims.

I like Spore. It could've been alot better, but I still enjoy loading it up, and just chilling, listening to music and relaxing as I slowly buy every star system :p

Acaroid

Aug 11, 2008
It wasnt will wright that cut that stuff from spore, i read an interview somewhere (cant think of where) he said himself he wanted to leave that stuff plus put more in, but something about deadlines and player testing or something?

But he said they will probably add it back in later....

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
If they do, I'll buy it, until then, I'm borrowing it indefinately from a little friend called the internet.

I personally like Spore

I can definitely see why people don't like it.

I was there with you in 2007 when E3 was abuzz over it.

However, once I got passed the hype-letdown, it is actually quite fun.

Murian

Nov 23, 2007
Acaroid post=9.72577.767493 said:
It wasnt will wright that cut that stuff from spore, i read an interview somewhere (cant think of where) he said himself he wanted to leave that stuff plus put more in, but something about deadlines and player testing or something?

I can believe the deadlines part...given the amount of stuff they could do/still can do the game would easily have become stuck in developer hell without somebody pushing the release of a product. Unfortunately for us that was EA, who it appears still don't know how to build a decent online system (it would be nice to get a search result that wasn't "there was an error connecting to the server").

If they start adding more detail that would be awesome, seeing as how it never really feels like any particular component has depth to it at the moment.

insectoid

Aug 19, 2008

You make it sound like deadlines forced them to cut stuff out. Wouldn't that be more effort?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
SimuLord post=9.72577.765178 said:
Pretty much it. I 'finished' it. Had fun playing about with the creators, now it's rotting on my PC hard drive, unused. I won't uninstall it because of the blasted DRM, but I haven't booted it up since I reached the top rank in space-mode.

Acaroid

Aug 11, 2008
insectoid post=9.72577.767761 said:

You make it sound like deadlines forced them to cut stuff out. Wouldn't that be more effort?
honestly i cant remember his exact words... and if something wasnt completed properly, then yes cutting it would be eaiser i guess...

Ill try and drag up the interview again.

not the review i want but i guess will do ish..

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/features/10-questions-will-wright/?biz=1

3. What things did you want to include in Spore but couldn't because of time or technology restrictions?

There are obviously lots of features you eventually need to cut from any design if you actually want to eventually ship. Sometimes these cuts are due to time/resource constraints but not always. We had wanted the ability to build underwater civilizations in Spore but could never get a very usable interface for controlling a 3d RTS in our prototypes. There was also a "close encounters" minigame that we cut because it was only fun to play about three times.