Spore: Your Thoughts.

BallPtPenTheif

Jun 11, 2008
Haven't played it and I'm not too interested in it. The art design for the animals looks like character models designed by ITT Tech students(I know its player created, but there is still an overall style to the modifications). From what I've seen the game design seems disjointed consisting of loosely related mini games that lack the depth of their respective genres.

I'm sure it's a fun game once you get into it but the exterior package is too garish for me to even consider approaching it.

Faroese-alcoholic

Jun 2, 2008
ok, I was defnit very, VERY hyped..
but it turns out to be slightly better than okay..
And creating vehicles is only fun the first time..

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Once you reach a certain point in the space stage, it started to get really really boring.

you have to traverse all over the place, collecting different color spices, selling them to anyone who'll buy them over a certain price, fly around either saving your colonies from disasters, or, if you're like me, just setting up the best defenses for the different disasters and just letting them sort it out themselves.

The game is just shallow. That's the best descriptive word for Spore. It leaves you wanting more, but not in a good way. Once you've played through the 3 paths (shaman, trader or warrior), there's very little reason to mix and match different stages of development. You end up basically needing to play a trader in the space stage anyway, as Allies are vitally important in a battle, and if you attack everyone and steal their stuff, you won't have allies. Which Ironically, would be a really nice thing in the terraforming segments. It's amazing how the game always thinks I want to tractor beam my allies ships. I've ruined more terraforming trips with that little bug then anything.

In the end, Spore went out with a fizzle, and not a bang. Maybe it's the genre. Maybe Sim games just go out with a fizzle. There's no real ending. All the specialness of being a space faring empire seem worthless when you get there any everyone else is doing it better then you.

Anyway, I'm done with this game for now. I'm sure I'll come back to it eventually, but I've sunk about 20-30 hours into the space stage alone, so I deserve a rest.

insectoid

Aug 19, 2008
I think the Space stage really needed alot more work. At a certain point it just gets really boring, with repetitive missions. Why is it that everyone attacking you always seems to have better ships?

The money needs to be tweaked, everyone wants heaps of money from you, supplies cost alot, but you never have enough because of the amount missions pay you.

Humanfishboy

Aug 9, 2008
I like Spore, creature phase is actually my favourite stage though. Technically there isn't that much to do but if you just explore with your creature you can see some pretty interesting things happen.
Like once I was exploring with a group of creatures, when an Epic bird creature swooped down, grabbed one of my friends in its claws, and flew off, that was pretty cool ^^

Or when I established an alliance with a nest of Gordon Freemans :eek:

flatearth

Jul 17, 2008
It was fun, but it just seemed that everything before space was just a filler. Kind of a loooong way for you to customize your citizens. It was imbalanced between the sections, but, and this is a large but, I liked the game, a lot.

coakroach

Jun 8, 2008
I likes it
Space Stage can be a little slow at first though
Scientist pwns all with Graviton Wave :)

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
My opinion nof the game hasn't overly Changed, i still like for the creative little game that it is, admittedly due to Computer problems i've only played up to the Tribal stage round a friends and even then i got a game over because i was drinking at the same time. (spore + drink = more fun then you might think)
But yeah, from what i saw, it's not overly bad, not everything it was promised to be and more.
in fact almost a significant amount less, but at the end of the day, it's still an enjoyable game even to the extent someone like me managed to play.
Although what i hear about the styles of play and how it drastically seems to alter the difficulty (Carnivore = easy Herbivore = medium/hard) has got me a little bit worried about it, i would assume that it should be equally as difficult to do either style.
although thinking about it, in real life it is easier just to kill everything and eat them then to be the bigger man(?) and just talk shit over.

But ah well, i guess it's still just a matter of opinion.