SPORTS BALL!!! v2.0

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The final stretch was a letdown after holding Stroll back for so long. But the Canadian is driving the second fastest car on the grid (just not in his hands, obviously). All in all a good strategy on Bottas' side and the same can be said for the Ferraris. In other news it can be said with pretty high confidence that Perez can't compete for the title. Only Max. Unless they start changing some of his car parts to licorice, he'll be crowned triple champion.
Red Bull was never going to let Perez truly compete with Verstappen. It'll take multiple Verstappen DNFs for anyone, including his teammate, to even come close. I don't even care about the leaderboards anymore; if Verstappen takes pole and keeps it through turn 1, I watch the midfield. The broadcasters agree; Verstappen is getting less and less screen time.

In MY other news, a friend of mine is visiting Finland next month, and I about shit my pants. I begged him to get me literally ANYTHING Bottas related. Barring that, I'd be happy with a Ziploc baggie of Finnish air.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Red Bull was never going to let Perez truly compete with Verstappen.
I doubt RB would start slowing Checo down if he gets pole positions. It doesn't matter because he doesn't and seems prone to mistakes.
I begged him to get me literally ANYTHING Bottas related.
Valtteri has oatmeal on most mornings so maybe a box of oats? His hometown, Nastola, doesn't have much to write about.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I doubt RB would start slowing Checo down if he gets pole positions. It doesn't matter because he doesn't and seems prone to mistakes.
I'm just saying "let them fight" will never be the order from the pit wall as long as Verstappen has the championship lead he has. Checo might as well pull a Bottas, and be prepared to defend for the rest of the season... when they'll cut him for a young gun who can't wait to play #2.
Valtteri has oatmeal on most mornings so maybe a box of oats? His hometown, Nastola, doesn't have much to write about.
Dude, it could literally be a blade of grass from Finland, and I'd be extatic. My love for Bottas is unhealthy; I know it. My friend is flying into Helsinki; I'm sure Nastola isn't on his radar. I'll settle for literally anything as long as it's from Finland. A sugar packet, a napkin from a bar, etc. To be honest, exchanging words with YOU fills a bit of my "God hole" (It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia reference.) I won't say I'm Bottas' biggest fan, but if ever I find the person who is, I will exterminate them with extreme prejudice.

Reactions: McElroy

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
I know I'm very late but holy shit NBA Champions Denver Nuggets is something that's crazy to hear. Not just winning it after our last finals being in 1974 in the fuckin' ABA but the way we did it, a first seed taking care of business. I know having the best player in the league having an all time run helps but I love how this team came together both in construction and on the court. Just beautiful basketball all through the season and playoffs, I'm very glad management stuck by Malone as coach so he could build something. Bruce Brown was just a trade piece in the KD Nets trade and Arron Gordon was on the verge of being a wasted talent on an underachieving team. They played out of their skin around Jokic to get us to wins. And Murray finally getting a full healthy season to show how good he is was emotional to see, especially seeing how he reacted when we won. Not to mention the role players, who somehow all became plug and play court stretchers as soon as they join us, which I think is another testament to Malone's coaching. Enough been said about Jokic that I can gush about, what a fucking player, what a performance, and he's only 28 and locked into a long contract. (Obligotry stolen MVP and all that good shit) Been too long since we had a true superstar on the team. I remember Allen Iverson joining Melo when i was a kid and thought this was our time, then some rough years came after that, but this makes it all worth it.

I don't think we're going to repeat. It already looks like we might lose Brown which would be a huge loss, but the priority will be to get Murray a new contract and that always unfortunately means the loss of some important players. But I'm sure we can win another one on Jokic's current contract if he an Murray get extended time on the floor together. The future looks bright in Denver, just pretend Russell Wilson and the entire Rockies organisation doesn't exist for me ok?

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I know I'm very late but holy shit NBA Champions Denver Nuggets is something that's crazy to hear. Not just winning it after our last finals being in 1974 in the fuckin' ABA but the way we did it, a first seed taking care of business. I know having the best player in the league having an all time run helps but I love how this team came together both in construction and on the court. Just beautiful basketball all through the season and playoffs, I'm very glad management stuck by Malone as coach so he could build something. Bruce Brown was just a trade piece in the KD Nets trade and Arron Gordon was on the verge of being a wasted talent on an underachieving team. They played out of their skin around Jokic to get us to wins. And Murray finally getting a full healthy season to show how good he is was emotional to see, especially seeing how he reacted when we won. Not to mention the role players, who somehow all became plug and play court stretchers as soon as they join us, which I think is another testament to Malone's coaching. Enough been said about Jokic that I can gush about, what a fucking player, what a performance, and he's only 28 and locked into a long contract. (Obligotry stolen MVP and all that good shit) Been too long since we had a true superstar on the team. I remember Allen Iverson joining Melo when i was a kid and thought this was our time, then some rough years came after that, but this makes it all worth it.

I don't think we're going to repeat. It already looks like we might lose Brown which would be a huge loss, but the priority will be to get Murray a new contract and that always unfortunately means the loss of some important players. But I'm sure we can win another one on Jokic's current contract if he an Murray get extended time on the floor together. The future looks bright in Denver, just pretend Russell Wilson and the entire Rockies organisation doesn't exist for me ok?
I'm way more of a hockey guy rather than basketball, and you've got the Avalanche. Things didn't go that well this postseason for them, but they were my pick to repeat for Lord Stanley's Cup and they've got a few more years in the window for real contention. A colleague of mine is a sportscaster who moved to Denver several years ago, and he has been swearing up and down the Broncos are just one or 2 pieces away from really taking off (it is just a little harder in a conference with KC.) And the Rockies...

OK, he's never really had anything good to say about the Rockies. Off-air anyway. Now I live in a college basketball market, more or less exclusively college basketball. And yet this year... this Finals, even people here are talking NBA. Been a while since I've heard this much NBA talk around here.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Not a basketball fan by any stretch, but I oddly enjoyed watching the Sports Center recaps giving me the gist of the finals as they played out. Apparently, I like basketball in doses, but a whole game? Wake me up for the last 2 minutes.

Was happy to hear Nuggets pulled it off. I'm always rooting for the underdog (in this case, a team who'd never done it; they appeared relatively dominant in real time,) and winning their first championship ever is huge. @Offworlder, I'm curious, where does your passion for Denver (you're also a Broncos fan, IIRC,) come from? Australia is a long ways away to be so into a very singular State. Not judging; I'm a 49ers fan from Ohio who's only been to California once, and never been anywhere near San Francisco, but at least I can claim the same citizenship! I'm also a Bottas fan who never thought of Finland until I started watching Formula 1, so as I'm typing this, I'm realizing how my curiosity is extremely hypocritical, but also completely benign. I like hearing how fans become fans.

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
I'm way more of a hockey guy rather than basketball, and you've got the Avalanche. Things didn't go that well this postseason for them, but they were my pick to repeat for Lord Stanley's Cup and they've got a few more years in the window for real contention. A colleague of mine is a sportscaster who moved to Denver several years ago, and he has been swearing up and down the Broncos are just one or 2 pieces away from really taking off (it is just a little harder in a conference with KC.) And the Rockies...

OK, he's never really had anything good to say about the Rockies. Off-air anyway. Now I live in a college basketball market, more or less exclusively college basketball. And yet this year... this Finals, even people here are talking NBA. Been a while since I've heard this much NBA talk around here.
Yeah it was nice to win the cup last year and disappointing this year, is what it is with injuries. Lets see how the off season goes but yeah still a very strong team. Again, our best players are on long contracts, we just need to build about them and pray for health. Them and the Nuggets are our hopes at the moment.

I think the Broncos have been saying that since Manning retired, Wilson was suppose to be THAT piece and we all say how that worked out. Lets see if Payton can straight us out but I'm not expecting much.

Baseball isn't a real spo-oh good god the Dodgers scored 14 on us and Kris Bryant can't walk.

Not a basketball fan by any stretch, but I oddly enjoyed watching the Sports Center recaps giving me the gist of the finals as they played out. Apparently, I like basketball in doses, but a whole game? Wake me up for the last 2 minutes.

Was happy to hear Nuggets pulled it off. I'm always rooting for the underdog (in this case, a team who'd never done it; they appeared relatively dominant in real time,) and winning their first championship ever is huge. @Offworlder, I'm curious, where does your passion for Denver (you're also a Broncos fan, IIRC,) come from? Australia is a long ways away to be so into a very singular State. Not judging; I'm a 49ers fan from Ohio who's only been to California once, and never been anywhere near San Francisco, but at least I can claim the same citizenship! I'm also a Bottas fan who never thought of Finland until I started watching Formula 1, so as I'm typing this, I'm realizing how my curiosity is extremely hypocritical, but also completely benign. I like hearing how fans become fans.
A family member of mine has lived in Denver since the mid 2000's so every time I went over there we stayed there most of the time. We usually went over during Christmas so I got taken along to Nuggets and Avs games at the Pepsi Center. The family member who lived there really got into the local sports scene and my brother is a massive sports fan, got me into most of it. I was quite young so I kinda just used it to sound cool, 'been to 'Merica, went to hockey games, ate hot dogs'. As I got older and started getting into sport on a more personal level more I realised I had attachments to the teams cos all the games I'd been to and just decided to start supporting them all. Didn't hurt that all the teams were good or kinda good at the time. As times gone on they've just naturally become my teams through that family members connections and childhood memories. Same reason I support Stoke in the EFL, family ties and building a connection over the years.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
A family member of mine has lived in Denver since the mid 2000's so every time I went over there we stayed there most of the time. We usually went over during Christmas so I got taken along to Nuggets and Avs games at the Pepsi Center. The family member who lived there really got into the local sports scene and my brother is a massive sports fan, got me into most of it. I was quite young so I kinda just used it to sound cool, 'been to 'Merica, went to hockey games, ate hot dogs'. As I got older and started getting into sport on a more personal level more I realised I had attachments to the teams cos all the games I'd been to and just decided to start supporting them all. Didn't hurt that all the teams were good or kinda good at the time. As times gone on they've just naturally become my teams through that family members connections and childhood memories. Same reason I support Stoke in the EFL, family ties and building a connection over the years.
I completely understand, and thank you for sharing. That's awesome. Funnily enough, it was the 1990 Super Bowl that made me a Niners fan... and it was them against the Broncos. I'm from Ohio, and my uncle is a die-hard Bengals fan. The previous Super Bowl found his Bengals against the Niners. Niners won, so of course my uncle was not happy. 1990 found the Niners in the Super Bowl again against the Broncos. I cheered for the Broncos in solidarity with my uncle. A score of 55-10 later, I jumped on the Niners bandwagon. +30 years later, you'd have to get down to the genetic level to splice out my love for my Niners.

Reactions: Offworlder

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
I completely understand, and thank you for sharing. That's awesome. Funnily enough, it was the 1990 Super Bowl that made me a Niners fan... and it was them against the Broncos. I'm from Ohio, and my uncle is a die-hard Bengals fan. The previous Super Bowl found his Bengals against the Niners. Niners won, so of course my uncle was not happy. 1990 found the Niners in the Super Bowl again against the Broncos. I cheered for the Broncos in solidarity with my uncle. A score of 55-10 later, I jumped on the Niners bandwagon. +30 years later, you'd have to get down to the genetic level to splice out my love for my Niners.
Ah yes, what a Super Bowl for us, getting absolutely fucked by Montana and Rice haha. Its crazy how people come to support some teams. I've heard stories of people playing Football Manager and ending up on some team only to end up die hard fans, traveling across the world to attend a home game or buying something vintage with a logo on it and ending up in the fan base.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Ah yes, what a Super Bowl for us, getting absolutely fucked by Montana and Rice haha. Its crazy how people come to support some teams. I've heard stories of people playing Football Manager and ending up on some team only to end up die hard fans, traveling across the world to attend a home game or buying something vintage with a logo on it and ending up in the fan base.
That's the thing I love most about sports, the fandom. I really like hearing how/why people support the teams they do, especially when it's not just a "home team" bias. Here in Texas, I can throw a rock in any cardinal direction, and it'll hit a Cowboys fan. Boring. But running across a fellow Niners fan? You'd think we're long-lost relatives. The Eagles also have a pretty decent fanbase around here. There's a local bar that becomes an Eagles bar whenever they play. I don't give two shits about the Eagles, but being in that bar with their fans, the atmosphere is infectious. It's the reason I love the overseas NFL games. The stadium fills up with jerseys from every team regardless of which teams are actually playing, and the passion and love of the sport is just so pure.

Speaking of random fandom, @McElroy, I decided what I want my friend to bring me back from Finland! A bottle of Bottas' O/\th gin! I can't get it here in the US for whatever reason, so if he can smuggle one over here for me, I'd be forever grateful. I actually want TWO bottles, one to drink and one to save, but if he can only manage the one, I'll take it.

Reactions: Offworlder

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Speaking of random fandom, @McElroy, I decided what I want my friend to bring me back from Finland! A bottle of Bottas' O/\th gin! I can't get it here in the US for whatever reason, so if he can smuggle one over here for me, I'd be forever grateful. I actually want TWO bottles, one to drink and one to save, but if he can only manage the one, I'll take it.
Depending on where he's going to stay/visit it might be tough. Right now there is only one bottle of that gin within 90 km from Helsinki.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Depending on where he's going to stay/visit it might be tough. Right now there is only one bottle of that gin within 90 km from Helsinki.
What the hell?? If it can't be found IN FINLAND, then where the hell is it?!? Tracking this gin down is like trying to find a splinter of the True Cross!

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
What the hell?? If it can't be found IN FINLAND, then where the hell is it?!? Tracking this gin down is like trying to find a splinter of the True Cross!
Limited stock, I imagine. However it's easy to track availability because we only have one brand of liquor store. Alko

Also in other news Perez can't keep on track.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Limited stock, I imagine. However it's easy to track availability because we only have one brand of liquor store. Alko

Also in other news Perez can't keep on track.
Nobody could keep on track. Something like 13 warnings for exceeding track limits during today's qualifying?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Another shitting of the bed for Alfa Romeo at the Austrian GP this weekend. For pretty much everybody, if I'm being honest. I don't know enough about the particulars of the sport to blame the track, but when damn-near half the field is getting penalties for exceeding track limits all weekend, I'd venture the guess the track might not be well-designed for the kind of racing the drivers are accustomed to. One could argue that's a part of the challenge; I'd argue that doesn't make it interesting for the spectators having to watch the ticker and do math to determine where everyone actually stands.

That said, it was a banger of a race. Not for me; Bottas (AGAIN) got tangled at the start, suffered damage, and dropped to the back of the field almost immediately. I wish the guy would pick an outside or inside line and stick to it, but he always manages to be in the middle of the track, sandwiched between other cars, with no options beyond collision or giving up his place, often both.

But as much as I enjoyed everyone else's battles, it really pissed me off when Verstappen, already leading by +20 seconds (surprise!) opted to come into the pits in the final two laps for fresh soft tires to take not only the win and 25 points, but also steal the fastest lap point from Perez, his own teammate, who'd put on a monster of a show to storm from the back of the field to make the podium! It was was one fucking point, and Verstappen literally risked his race to take it from Sergio Perez for himself. Yes, the team still gets it, but his teammate already had it! That was the equivalent of two kids in the backseat, one with a triple-scoop ice cream cone taking the single-scoop ice cream cone from his sibling, and the parents just being content there's ice cream in the car. I was almost on my knees praying for that last pit stop to go wrong and LeClerc take the win. No man's hubris is more deserving of karmic retribution than Max Verstappen. And I thought I hated Lewis Hamilton when Bottas was his teammate, man, I REALLY hate Verstappen for Perez's sake. Funny when you're in 2nd for the WDC behind only your teammate, and your job is somehow on the line. What does Red Bull want? TWO #1s for the WDC??

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Yeah, the track and especially its final turn made things annoying. Altogether 1200 violations during the race, most from exceeding track limits. Aston Martin protested after the race, and so many drivers got multiple penalties afterwards.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah, the track and especially its final turn made things annoying. Altogether 1200 violations during the race, most from exceeding track limits. Aston Martin protested after the race, and so many drivers got multiple penalties afterwards.
I was entertained by all the drivers tattling on each other over the radio. My favorite was when the McLaren pit wall asked Lando Norris, while he was chasing Hamilton, to inform them whenever Hamilton exceeded track limits, and his response was [paraphrasing]: "it's everywhere all the time; I don't want to talk to you the whole time!"

I'd imagine after this weekend, Austria will be tweaked for next season, unless everyone is okay with penalties deciding results behind the foregone P1. Could you imagine the outrage if this was the last race of the season and the WDC still very much in contention between a few drivers? I mean, Verstappen basically has it at this point barring catastrophic meltdown and failure, but in a perfect F1 world, with true parity and multiple drivers with a chance of winning the season, a weekend like this past one would be considered unacceptable.

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
Oh England, you just keep being you.

Also, fanscinating how many sports that can be applied to.

At least Iceland probably won't be at the Euros next year, might have to lose to Finland or Romania to make up for it.

Edit: Headphone warning for that video, my joke is ruined. COME ON INGERALAND

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I dunno how poor they are at Alfa Romeo but they could at least spare some gas for their driver... For a couple of laps? Pretty please?

And Perez will once again make it a more entertaining race, because he has to be taking positions full time. Maybe it is a Red Bull marketing plot to get the car into the spotlight more. I'm not that opposed to the idea anymore.