SPORTS BALL!!! v2.0

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Modern sports 'journalism' in a nutshell. If this was a shitslinging Twitter thread I wouldn't be surprised. Been putting up with trash anti-union NRL hitpieces all week, now I'm gonna be buried up 'BrAdY GoAt???!!!11' vids for a month.

On a more positive note, Sean Payton comes to Denver. He's not gonna fix all our issues, but it'll shore up some problems at least. He'll at the very least be able to pull everyone into line with the respect he commands, and that's gotta count for something after the season just had.
An ex colleague covers the Broncos for local TV in Denver. We reached out to get him (our old coworker, I doubt we could land Coach Payton) for an interview after the news dropped. He was too busy to join us, but promised us an interview after he has his first interview with Sean Payton. Should be interesting, he'll have some impressions he will share with us that I doubt he'd express on-air in Denver.

Oh, and standing up for colleagues in sports "journalism." A journalist is allowed to have an opinion. An analyst like Dan Orlovsky is expected to express his opinions. If (like they are in this case) they are wrong, it is up to ESPN whether or not to keep him around as an analyst if viewers don't like him. As far as content is concerned, hey someone is watching. And no one is forcing anyone to watch all those Brady GOAT vids. They are being made because lots of people ARE watching them, and the conversation is driving engagement right now.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
An ex colleague covers the Broncos for local TV in Denver. We reached out to get him (our old coworker, I doubt we could land Coach Payton) for an interview after the news dropped. He was too busy to join us, but promised us an interview after he has his first interview with Sean Payton. Should be interesting, he'll have some impressions he will share with us that I doubt he'd express on-air in Denver.

Oh, and standing up for colleagues in sports "journalism." A journalist is allowed to have an opinion. An analyst like Dan Orlovsky is expected to express his opinions. If (like they are in this case) they are wrong, it is up to ESPN whether or not to keep him around as an analyst if viewers don't like him. As far as content is concerned, hey someone is watching. And no one is forcing anyone to watch all those Brady GOAT vids. They are being made because lots of people ARE watching them, and the conversation is driving engagement right now.
Orlovsky is entertaining; I'll give him that. His vastly differing opinions on a lot of things at least spark a conversation, even if it's only a conversation about how wrong he is; I like to watch him squirm as he digs in under the weight of dissenting opinions from his own. He's also a dead ringer for Glen Howerton is he ever wants to pursue a career as a stunt double on the set of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Most flagrant misuse of a powerful machine as I've ever seen. (Then there's also Nikita Mazepin having been allowed to drive an F1 car for as long as he did.)
I suppose, just though it was funny stupid. Also, don't know who Mazepin is. Haven't actually kept up with F1 since the Schumacher/Villeneuve era.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I suppose, just though it was funny stupid. Also, don't know who Mazepin is. Haven't actually kept up with F1 since the Schumacher/Villeneuve era.
Mazepin is the entitled son of a Russian oligarch whose seat at the Haas racing team was paid for by his daddy. He garnered the nickname "Maze-spin" due to his penchant for spinning the car and wrecking out. He lost his seat last year partly because he sucked and never deserved it, but mostly because the Haas team didn't want the support of, well, Russia and their own penchant for starting wars with neighboring countries and other shenanigans.

Also, he looks like an anthropomorphic Q-tip.

1675782648788.png

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Mazepin is the entitled son of a Russian oligarch whose seat at the Haas racing team was paid for by his daddy. He garnered the nickname "Maze-spin" due to his penchant for spinning the car and wrecking out. He lost his seat last year partly because he sucked and never deserved it, but mostly because the Haas team didn't want the support of, well, Russia and their own penchant for starting wars with neighboring countries and other shenanigans.

Also, he looks like an anthropomorphic Q-tip.

View attachment 7876
Wtf is that. Put him back in the growing tank, he's not done yet.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The NFL blew it's load last night with the Chiefs besting the Eagles 35-38 in the Super Bowl. Pretty amazing game seeing as The Chiefs rallied from a double digit deficit to win in the final minute. Mahomes truly is something amazing (I know, "breaking news.") Winning the biggest game on one leg? We're witnessing the next prolific dynasty emerge right now. I don't like 'em, but I damn sure respect 'em.

Now, what do I watch next? The XFL is trying its thing again in a few days. I'll watch while it lasts to get my football fix, but its corpse has been resurrected too many times; I don't see this time being any exception. They'll try to convince people it's worthy, not enough people will give a shit to sustain it, and it'll crawl back into its grave... AGAIN.

Reactions: Offworlder

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Thread can be revived for F1 and the first race today.
Aston Martin has a top 3 car, which is pretty cool. Too bad they also have Stroll, though no doubt daddy Stroll's payroll has pushed the team forward. Alonso is a million times better off in a car that doesn't fall apart from under him.

Bottas' excellent start (wow, Valtteri not losing positions during lap 1) made Alfa Romeo look like a mid-pack team, but once again I worry, because Zhou's hands on that wheel don't impress. Hopefully this is because Bahrain is a full throttle track and Alfa is behind in straight line speed atm.

Also Verstappen will win another championship.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Thread can be revived for F1 and the first race today.
Aston Martin has a top 3 car, which is pretty cool. Too bad they also have Stroll, though no doubt daddy Stroll's payroll has pushed the team forward. Alonso is a million times better off in a car that doesn't fall apart from under him.

Bottas' excellent start (wow, Valtteri not losing positions during lap 1) made Alfa Romeo look like a mid-pack team, but once again I worry, because Zhou's hands on that wheel don't impress. Hopefully this is because Bahrain is a full throttle track and Alfa is behind in straight line speed atm.

Also Verstappen will win another championship.
You got to it before me.

Alonso looked like a man on fire yesterday. I've always respected him as they can't wait to mention his being the "oldest driver on the grid"... and he's a year younger than me. Fuck, I'm starting to think my F1 career might be a pipe dream. But yes, I don't know if Aston Martin had some amazing development over the past year or if Alonso is THAT good, but to see him muscle out Mercedes and Ferrari, they might be in contention...

... Then there's Lance. Kudos for vying in the midfield as he did, but he's not a driver, imho. He's a paid seat which, if my daddy was a millionaire and owned the team, I'd be out there myself. The incident with him and Alonso said it all. I'm not saying it was malicious or intentional, but if I were Lawrence Stroll, signing everyone's paychecks, me and my boy would be having a serious talk, i.e.: get your shit straight, or you're losing your drive.

And don't get me started on Bottas' start. Fucking brilliant. Best I've seen from my guy in a while; gained four places within the first lap. Finished in the points. I was over the moon. My girlfriend doesn't "get it," but Alfa Romeo looked competitive. At one point, the only cars in front of him that weren't expected to be Constructors Championship contenders were Aston Martin. P8? Yes, fucking please! I slept in my new Bottas hat last night.

Mercedes? I have no idea what's going on there. Toto Wolff has all but written the season off already, and that was before the race even started. He cited that the car wasn't competitive. Hell, even George Russell has handed Red Bull the Championship already. They look pathetic, and I wish I had one ounce of sympathy for the once dominant team, but I absolutely do not. I know a win is a lot to ask for, but what I really want, at least once, is for Bottas to beat a Mercedes this season. I don't care if it's P11; if Hamilton or Russell are P12 or worse, I'm calling Bottas a fucking champion (despite my hating his new mullet. C'mon, Bottas, really? He could kill a child in front of me, and I'd rationalize away why he did it, but a mullet??)

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I saved my curses from Jeddah to Australia it seems. 1st let's get it out of the way that Valtteri's Alfa is pretty much the slowest going car on the track. At least he can finish a race...

...unlike quite a few others. My favorite was the epic takedown of both Alpines. By the Alpines themselves. Sainz started the whole situation so it's fair he and Ferrari are punished. Red Bull has things under control when they are in control: race and qualification pace is a level above others. The other top teams look like a tight bunch, but we also have to remember that Albert Park is big on those DRS-trains.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I saved my curses from Jeddah to Australia it seems. 1st let's get it out of the way that Valtteri's Alfa is pretty much the slowest going car on the track. At least he can finish a race...

...unlike quite a few others. My favorite was the epic takedown of both Alpines. By the Alpines themselves. Sainz started the whole situation so it's fair he and Ferrari are punished. Red Bull has things under control when they are in control: race and qualification pace is a level above others. The other top teams look like a tight bunch, but we also have to remember that Albert Park is big on those DRS-trains.
A shit show. That's what Albert Park was. Alfa needs to figure something out. Did their cars get worse from 2022, or did everyone else get substantially better? Williams and Haas looked like solid mid-field teams, and Alfa looks like Formula 9. That was painful to watch, and not only because I stayed up from midnight to damn near 3am to watch it unfold. Makes sense that last restart took VB out of a points finish given he barely limped the whole race. I still love the guy, but that mullet might not be worth the added drag.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I waited almost a month without Formula 1 just for another Alfa Romeo shit-show in Baku this weekend. The only reason Bottas didn'y finish dead last was because two cars DNF'd., one of which was the other Alfa Romeo. Apparently, he took some damage during the opening lap that affected his performance (t'was a Williams [I think] that bumped a McLaren that bumped Bottas and put him into the wall,) but they pitted him 3 goddamn times; might as well have DNF'd him too if the damage was that bad.

Also, I REALLY do not like the new sprint format. Waste of time, effort, and money when the sprint race literally has no bearing on Sunday's grand prix. If the sprint is just an opportunity to net some points, then they should spread the wealth and allow for more than the top 8 places to gain something. Smaller race, smaller "purse;" I get that, but asking over half the field to risk everything for nothing is just dumb all around.

Anyway, off to Miami. Time for the European F1 purists to denigrate everything "American" tainting their beloved sport for the next week. Already over it. :rolleyes:

Reactions: McElroy

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
The only reason Bottas didn't finish dead last was because two cars DNF'd, one of which was the other Alfa Romeo. Apparently, he took some damage during the opening lap that affected his performance (t'was a Williams [I think] that bumped a McLaren that bumped Bottas and put him into the wall,) but they pitted him 3 goddamn times; might as well have DNF'd him too if the damage was that bad.
One of the Haas cars hit the back of the Alfa. Their car is a shitbox and seems to destroy tires, which is already an issue with Bottas' driving style.

I'll root for a good battle between Perez and Verstappen. Honestly it's the best we can hope for right now.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I'll root for a good battle between Perez and Verstappen. Honestly it's the best we can hope for right now.
The question there is will Red Bull actually allow Perez to fight Max to keep it interesting. My gut says no. The planets would have to align perfectly before Horner and company would ever suggest Max play the team game as the #2. I say if I were Perez, I'd go rogue and fight Max anyway, but he has to keep in mind Daniel Riciarrdo is waiting in reserve, a guy who's been humbled enough that he'd do anything to replace a disobedient driver; it's basically his dream job at the moment as the prodigal son come home to take his licks.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Well, I didn't quite get my wish for Bottas to beat a Mercedes in his Alfa Romeo, but what I got Saturday In the Miami GP was close enough. Bottas managed AR's first foray into Q3 this season placing 6th with BOTH Mercedes behind him. Lewis Hamilton didn't even MAKE Q3. I was elated going into the race yesterday. And because I'm not allowed to enjoy nice things, Bottas' mid-field scrap was relegated to another non-points finish by the end of the race. *sigh*

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I cannot at all fathom why the hell Messi (or Ronaldo for that matter) would want to play in Saudi Arabia. I mean, money obviously, but they're both obscenely rich. They must know what this looks like for their image.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I cannot at all fathom why the hell Messi (or Ronaldo for that matter) would want to play in Saudi Arabia. I mean, money obviously, but they're both obscenely rich. They must know what this looks like for their image.
Seems you don't get to be obscenely rich if you worry too much about how you get even more rich.