SPORTS BALL!!! v2.0

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The Formula 1 Italian Gran Prix yesterday was incredible. Easily one of the most exciting races in a LONG time. Lots of battles, overtaking, drama, and for the first time in forever (at least for about a dozen laps,) Red Bull and Max Verstappen were actually challenged. I applaud Ferrari; if you're going to bring it, bring it at your home race. What I don't understand is how Ferrari allowed Charles LeClerc to risk EVERYTHING at the end fighting Carlos Sainz for P3. That little battle there in the last couple of laps could have ruined Ferrari's day entirely. I get that every driver wants a podium if not the win, but LeClerc nearly ended the race for BOTH the team's cars acting greedily. Driver of the day? Sainz. He was poised and collected the whole race; he did what he needed to do, even when his best wasn't enough, and he landed a much-deserved podium finish. Second driver of the day? Checo. Man, that guy has heart. Being measured against the living Christ that is Verstappen, to fight the way he did into P2 was impressive.

And in the midfield, Bottas nabbed the last points finish. I questioned the strategy at first, starting Zhou on mediums and Bottas on hards, but as I saw it unfold, Bottas taking mediums for the final stint while everyone ahead of him were on aging hards, it made sense (though my fingers, toes, and balls were all crossed hoping that a two-stopper wasn't the plan.) I'm not too quick to give credit to Alfa Romeo for their "genius" (once bitten, twice shy; they probably just got lucky and/or Bottas maximized what he had to work with,) but it worked nonetheless. I almost broke open my bottle of Oath gin to celebrate the ONE point he got, but reason prevailed in the end; my coveted Oath gin is still sealed. It won't happen in this year's Alfa Romeo, but if Bottas gets a podium, I'll not only open the Oath, I will chug the entire thing, drive to the hospital, have my stomach immediately pumped back into the original bottle, and re-seal it.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
As a 49ers fan, I really hope we don't regret trading Trey Lance away (to the goddamn Cowboys of all teams) anymore than we already regret trading for him a couple of years ago, but in the meantime, this is fucking hilarious.

1694012871004.png

And in other news, Oklahoma Sooner's backup QB's name is literally "General Booty." No, I'm not 6 years old, but yes, that is the kind of funny that transcends all levels of maturity. Watching the OU vs. Arkansas St. game this weekend, and saw a guy wearing a "I ❤ Booty" t-shirt, and was immediately jealous. If that were my name, I couldn't wait to meet new people, apply for jobs, or order coffee in a Starbucks, like, I would go out of my way to tell people my name. I hope this kid has an amazing career, and I sincerely hope he makes it to the NFL, because I'm on the waiting list to buy his jersey; I don't care what team drafts him, I WANT his jersey, and it'll be the first non-49ers jersey I'll own.

1694012908046.png

Reactions: Kyrian007

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
As a 49ers fan, I really hope we don't regret trading Trey Lance away (to the goddamn Cowboys of all teams) anymore than we already regret trading for him a couple of years ago, but in the meantime, this is fucking hilarious.

View attachment 9604

And in other news, Oklahoma Sooner's backup QB's name is literally "General Booty." No, I'm not 6 years old, but yes, that is the kind of funny that transcends all levels of maturity. Watching the OU vs. Arkansas St. game this weekend, and saw a guy wearing a "I ❤ Booty" t-shirt, and was immediately jealous. If that were my name, I couldn't wait to meet new people, apply for jobs, or order coffee in a Starbucks, like, I would go out of my way to tell people my name. I hope this kid has an amazing career, and I sincerely hope he makes it to the NFL, because I'm on the waiting list to buy his jersey; I don't care what team drafts him, I WANT his jersey, and it'll be the first non-49ers jersey I'll own.

View attachment 9605
Heh, Booty.

But seriously, transfer portal being what it is if he does not wind up starting for a year or 2 at OU... solid chance he'll be a power 5 starter somewhere. But on to the NFL, yeah SF had a tough decision to make. And I think they made the right one. For Trey Lance, I'd rather have seen him go pretty much anywhere else. But I think it leaves SF in a pretty good place. On the show I produce, we did our NFL standings predictions yesterday. SF was a consensus sweep for division champion, and only wound up not in our Super Bowl because the other consensus sweep was the Eagles who 2 out of the 3 had winning the Super Bowl. Interestingly, the co-host did say he almost went with SF taking down Minnesota to get into the Super Bowl. Because he wanted to get the Bengals taking down the Chiefs or Bills to make it a rematch of SB 23 (well, and 16.) I wish SF good luck, but I don't want that rematch. SB XXIII and the Tim Krumrie injury burned into my memory... still makes me shudder.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Heh, Booty.

But seriously, transfer portal being what it is if he does not wind up starting for a year or 2 at OU... solid chance he'll be a power 5 starter somewhere. But on to the NFL, yeah SF had a tough decision to make. And I think they made the right one. For Trey Lance, I'd rather have seen him go pretty much anywhere else. But I think it leaves SF in a pretty good place. On the show I produce, we did our NFL standings predictions yesterday. SF was a consensus sweep for division champion, and only wound up not in our Super Bowl because the other consensus sweep was the Eagles who 2 out of the 3 had winning the Super Bowl. Interestingly, the co-host did say he almost went with SF taking down Minnesota to get into the Super Bowl. Because he wanted to get the Bengals taking down the Chiefs or Bills to make it a rematch of SB 23 (well, and 16.) I wish SF good luck, but I don't want that rematch. SB XXIII and the Tim Krumrie injury burned into my memory... still makes me shudder.
Time will tell if we made the right decisions with Lance. "Time" being here in a couple of weeks when we play the Cowboys to whom we traded him. Us against the Cowboys is always a must-win out of pride alone, but given we sold the farm to get Lance only to trade him for peanuts a couple of years later to the Cowboys, we HAVE to win that game. Especially if Lance sees the field. There might be a case of seppuku in this house if Lance is under center for the Cowboys while we lose to them. Doesn't help that I live in Texas, and have no shortage of people ready to talk massive amounts of shit.

As to predictions, I don't like to get into them. I'm the "sit back and let things unfold" kinda guy. Of course I want to win it all, but prognosticating is not within my wheelhouse. Pride cometh before the fall, so I save my chest inflation for the fourth quarter buzzer. I actually hate that so many pundits have such high expectations for my Niners; it ends up being a jinx. Go focus on the Jets with Rogers or the Chiefs and God's only begotten son in Mahomes. Talk about the Eagles and their quest for redemption or the Bills and Josh Allen standing on the threshold of a Super Bowl win. Just leave my Niners out of the discussion, and let us slide on by for the 6th ring!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Coco Gauff, at 19, won the Tennis US Open. So happy for her. I love when young talent like hers emerges and that she's proven not to be a novelty, flash-in-the-pan. We might be staring the next Serena Williams in the teeth.

My 49ers absolutely TROUNCED the Steelers yesterday. Brock Purdy basically picked up where he left off after his injury in the 2022 NFC Championship game. After one game, I am fully confident with the reins in his hands. 2 TDs, 0 interceptions. He suffered 3 sacks, but that was against TJ Watt, a problem for most quarterbacks, and none were for turnovers. And given we've basically screwed ourselves next year in the salary cap discussion to accommodate this year's potential, I hope we can pull a Bowl out of this squad; we won't be able to keep this breadth of talent together after this year.

And the highlight of the night was hearing Geno Smith, QB for the Seahawks, exclaim "OH MY GOD!!" when, while going through his receiver reads, saw Aaron Donald, arguably one of the scariest defensive players in the league, had busted through his O-line and was headed directly at him! I hate both the Rams and the Seahawks, but I know to respect exceptional talent regardless of which flags they fly. Any lineman who puts the fear of God into a seasoned professional player gets my respect. Sucks we have to play him twice a year; he better not injury any of us (we're an injury-prone lot.)

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The NFL world has been alight for MONTHS with the buzz surrounding Aaron Rodgers and his move from the Packers to the Jets. Last night, we finally got to see him do his thing... for 4 drives, upon which he suffered an injury, and was carted off the field... for the rest of the game.

Doctors watching the replay have speculated it could be an Achilles injury given how his calf supposedly reverberated as he went down. That could be really bad, like, season-ending. We still don't know, but just given his history and the hype when he officially left Green Bay, this is a massive disappointment. I don't particularly care for Rodgers or the Jets (or the Packers, if we're accounting for all affected parties,) but just really disappointing that we didn't get to see how he'd work in the new system, and worse, how we potentially might not see him again this SEASON...

davidmc1158

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
The NFL world has been alight for MONTHS with the buzz surrounding Aaron Rodgers and his move from the Packers to the Jets. Last night, we finally got to see him do his thing... for 4 drives, upon which he suffered an injury, and was carted off the field... for the rest of the game.

Doctors watching the replay have speculated it could be an Achilles injury given how his calf supposedly reverberated as he went down. That could be really bad, like, season-ending. We still don't know, but just given his history and the hype when he officially left Green Bay, this is a massive disappointment. I don't particularly care for Rodgers or the Jets (or the Packers, if we're accounting for all affected parties,) but just really disappointing that we didn't get to see how he'd work in the new system, and worse, how we potentially might not see him again this SEASON...
Sorry dude.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
George got too Curious about a wall.

Also one of those tracks (and climates) where the Alfa Romeo is a hot piece of junk. At least the reign of RB is over...

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
George got too Curious about a wall.

Also one of those tracks (and climates) where the Alfa Romeo is a hot piece of junk. At least the reign of RB is over...
I doubt the RB reign is "over," but it was certainly refreshing to watch the front of the pack with any interest for the first time this season. That Sainz > Norris > Russell > Hamilton train was a hoot. It felt like anything could happen at any moment. I kept expecting Ferrari to "Ferrari," but Sainz got the job done. I feel a bit bad for LeClerc, though. He started the season showing Ferrari's potential, then they collectively fell off, and now Sainz seems to be the one pulling them out of the mud. S'alright, Charles; you had potential before it was hip and trendy.

Russell was a surprise indeed. I'm sure he's still kicking himself today. Perhaps he was too busy strategizing for the win over team radio and focused on a 7-time WDC in his rearview to notice that wall.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The 49ers beat the Giants Thursday, Ohio State beat Notre Dame Saturday, and the Cowboys surprisingly LOST to the Cardinals on Sunday. Had Valtteri Bottas actually finished the race in Japan and scored some points, it would have been a perfect week of sports for this guy. Also, races in Japan and Australia have a weird effect of distorting time for me. I was pretty much clueless what day it was from Thursday to this morning. I almost missed a meeting today because I was convinced it was Sunday until 8am.

But the Dolphins hung 70 points on the Broncos. Wow. I knew they were good, but 70 is basically a homicide in pro football. The Broncos should press charges.

Reactions: Kyrian007

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Yeah, there is something very wrong in Denver. Week 3 is a little too early to be laying down for a good draft pick, plus I think Denver has traded that so they wouldn't get it anyway. There just doesn't seem to be anything worth keeping. They need a completely new offense, defense, coaching staff, management group, stadium, and owner. Denver is a good location for an NFL franchise, so I guess "city" is the only thing I can think of that is worth keeping. A colleague of mine working in Denver told me yesterday that football fans locally have already gone all in on Coach Prime and the Buffaloes and are abandoning the Broncos in droves. And that's holding even though Oregon hung a 30+ beating on them Saturday. He works in TV, and he says stations are reviewing procedures concerning broadcast blackout. Something that has never happened for the Broncos since the TV rules were last revised in 1972, and hasn't happened in the NFL since 2013. Most are saying that if attendance fell below the blackout threshold, the NFL would suspend the rule and allow the local broadcast anyway... but those rules are still on the books.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah, there is something very wrong in Denver. Week 3 is a little too early to be laying down for a good draft pick, plus I think Denver has traded that so they wouldn't get it anyway. There just doesn't seem to be anything worth keeping. They need a completely new offense, defense, coaching staff, management group, stadium, and owner. Denver is a good location for an NFL franchise, so I guess "city" is the only thing I can think of that is worth keeping. A colleague of mine working in Denver told me yesterday that football fans locally have already gone all in on Coach Prime and the Buffaloes and are abandoning the Broncos in droves. And that's holding even though Oregon hung a 30+ beating on them Saturday. He works in TV, and he says stations are reviewing procedures concerning broadcast blackout. Something that has never happened for the Broncos since the TV rules were last revised in 1972, and hasn't happened in the NFL since 2013. Most are saying that if attendance fell below the blackout threshold, the NFL would suspend the rule and allow the local broadcast anyway... but those rules are still on the books.
Denver is a complete mess, and I don't understand how that's the case. I'm not saying they should be competing for championships, but being on the receiving end of an historic blowout is simply unacceptable given their pedigree. It wasn't so many years ago that they WON a championship, and names like Russell Wilson and Sean Peyton aren't any one can raise their nose at.

As for Coach Prime, I personally feel his ego is writing checks his reality can't cash. I'm not denying that he's done what he's done, but that 3-0 stretch, with the exception of the win over TCU, was unremarkable outside of the perspective of their 2022 1-11 season, and proven by the thrashing they got from Oregon. I know Sanders is getting a lot of attention, and yes, he's got some unique talent at the ready, but... it's still Colorado. They need more than a pipe dream and media coverage to net a winning season. I wish them the best, and what he's done for that organization thus far is commendable, but there's still a lot of "big boys" out there that can easily put Prime and his team in their place; Oregon was a slap in the face, let's see how he stands up to a punch to the mouth.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Denver is a complete mess, and I don't understand how that's the case. I'm not saying they should be competing for championships, but being on the receiving end of an historic blowout is simply unacceptable given their pedigree. It wasn't so many years ago that they WON a championship, and names like Russell Wilson and Sean Peyton aren't any one can raise their nose at.

As for Coach Prime, I personally feel his ego is writing checks his reality can't cash. I'm not denying that he's done what he's done, but that 3-0 stretch, with the exception of the win over TCU, was unremarkable outside of the perspective of their 2022 1-11 season, and proven by the thrashing they got from Oregon. I know Sanders is getting a lot of attention, and yes, he's got some unique talent at the ready, but... it's still Colorado. They need more than a pipe dream and media coverage to net a winning season. I wish them the best, and what he's done for that organization thus far is commendable, but there's still a lot of "big boys" out there that can easily put Prime and his team in their place; Oregon was a slap in the face, let's see how he stands up to a punch to the mouth.
I actually think Wilson and Sean Payton are a little overrated. Wilson benefitted from fairly low-pressure environments for years in Seattle, having such a good defense that the pressure to score was lessened and really good running games that opened up receivers for him. Plus he's mobile and had a decent line. He's got none of that now, and his age has him transitioning to more of a pocket passer role. And it isn't going well. And Sean Payton. All he has is a fairly impressive win/loss record. But postseason, he's only 9-8. He has one Super Bowl win, sure. But had a MAJOR scandal break in bountygate soon after that taints the hell out of that win.

You're probably right about Prime. But honestly, the situation with the PAC-12 and realignment is super messy. The Buffs are going to be in the Big 12 soon, and Texas and OU won't be. He is poised to be vying for a power 5 conference championship within one or two years. With an expanded playoff and NIL eroding traditional powerhouses... he is in the right place at exactly the right time.

And considering I'm in Chiefs country here, I am by osmosis learning more about Taylor Swift than I ever thought I would.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I actually think Wilson and Sean Payton are a little overrated. Wilson benefitted from fairly low-pressure environments for years in Seattle, having such a good defense that the pressure to score was lessened and really good running games that opened up receivers for him. Plus he's mobile and had a decent line. He's got none of that now, and his age has him transitioning to more of a pocket passer role. And it isn't going well. And Sean Payton. All he has is a fairly impressive win/loss record. But postseason, he's only 9-8. He has one Super Bowl win, sure. But had a MAJOR scandal break in bountygate soon after that taints the hell out of that win.
I'm not saying having Russell and Peyton make the Broncos any better than their record shows, just that with that kind of experience, you'd imagine losing by 50 would be a stretch.

You're probably right about Prime. But honestly, the situation with the PAC-12 and realignment is super messy. The Buffs are going to be in the Big 12 soon, and Texas and OU won't be. He is poised to be vying for a power 5 conference championship within one or two years. With an expanded playoff and NIL eroding traditional powerhouses... he is in the right place at exactly the right time.
You're right. The NIL makes NCAA football a fairly different beast nowadays. I'm still of the mindset of yesteryear when seeing how Prime loves flossing his team and putting them in the spotlight; I forget that they can be compensated now, so being spotlighted underdogs can be lucrative today whereas yesterday, it could easily have been simply hyping a bunch of young men without a realistic expectation of success all the while banking on his own name and fame.

And considering I'm in Chiefs country here, I am by osmosis learning more about Taylor Swift than I ever thought I would.
I said it out loud this weekend when I saw her in the box with Kelce's mom: "someone get this woman out of my life!" She's everywhere, dude! Award shows, concerts, commercials, talk shows, news, now she's at football games. I swear, if she ever shows up on a F1 paddock, I'm building a log cabin in the middle of nowhere, and living off the grid.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I swear, if she ever shows up on a F1 paddock, I'm building a log cabin in the middle of nowhere, and living off the grid.
She's filmed a few videoclips set in log cabins in the middle of nowhere, so that might not work.

But yeah, her songs are getting a bit samey and ubiquitous, perhaps she should try being a CGI cat in movies again for a bit.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
She's filmed a few videoclips set in log cabins in the middle of nowhere, so that might not work.
What about Chernobyl? Surely she won't find me there. Bleeding from my eyes, vomiting blood, and a life span measured in days over years might almost be worth the absence of her persistence in my life.