Spotlight - Damning the Catholic Church

MachoNacho95

Dec 1, 2014
Nazulu said:
And yet it looks like just another sterile bland flick with boring dialogue taking more time to tell us about the stupid reviewers opinions than show us anything interesting. Like the idea, but it seems it's just relying on the controversy of the topic.

Edit:
Every line sounds like a fucking cliche with many scenes feeling it was just made for the trailer. Not surprised.
Don't judge a movie by it's trailer. That doesn't mean anything. "Drive" for example had an absolutely terrible trailer, that made it look like Transporter, which actually made many people mad, because they watched it and expected a popcorn flick and what they got was an arthouse movie.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
MachoNacho95 said:
Nazulu said:
And yet it looks like just another sterile bland flick with boring dialogue taking more time to tell us about the stupid reviewers opinions than show us anything interesting. Like the idea, but it seems it's just relying on the controversy of the topic.

Edit:
Every line sounds like a fucking cliche with many scenes feeling it was just made for the trailer. Not surprised.
Don't judge a movie by it's trailer. That doesn't mean anything. "Drive" for example had an absolutely terrible trailer, that made it look like Transporter, which actually made many people mad, because they watched it and expected a popcorn flick and what they got was an arthouse movie.
Layoff! You don't have a clue what I look out for and what I see. If you really can't feel just how forced every line is there then we're on very different pages. Do you even care that they keep using the same dull lighting in a lot of new films?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Nazulu said:
MachoNacho95 said:
Nazulu said:

Edit:
Layoff! You don't have a clue what I look out for and what I see. If you really can't feel just how forced every line is there then we're on very different pages. Do you even care that they keep using the same dull lighting in a lot of new films?
Trailers sound cliche all the time. When you cherry pick lines of dialogue for a sizzle reel, you pick the ones that catch peoples' rather short attention spans. I imagine they chose the lighting to help with whatever tone they're going for. I can't say I notice this lighting in tons of other movies, but then again, I don't really look for these things. Maybe they thought a more vibrant colour pallet would distract from the issues they're discussing? They might think it's sending mixed messages. I don't really know, I'm not a film maker. Are you (genuinely curious since you seem to pay a lot more attention to this stuff than the average movie goer)?

Anyway, the subject of corruption in the Catholic church is always something I've been interested to see in a movie, so I'm glad that they've apparently done it well. I'll definitely be checking this one out when it comes out on DVD.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
RedDeadFred said:
Trailers sound cliche all the time. When you cherry pick lines of dialogue for a sizzle reel, you pick the ones that catch peoples' rather short attention spans. I imagine they chose the lighting to help with whatever tone they're going for. I can't say I notice this lighting in tons of other movies, but then again, I don't really look for these things. Maybe they thought a more vibrant colour pallet would distract from the issues they're discussing? They might think it's sending mixed messages. I don't really know, I'm not a film maker. Are you (genuinely curious since you seem to pay a lot more attention to this stuff than the average movie goer)?
I'm not a film maker, but I find it hard not to notice how the acting and dialogue is the bare minimum, while this sterile lighting looks dry as hell. I'm mean, if they're going for some bland tasteless feel to it all, then they've succeeded from what I can see.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Thyunda said:
Nazulu said:
Didn't realise the allegations of abuse in the Catholic Church were still controversial.
A few people created A fuss about Philomena calling it an 'anti catholic hate screed' because it talked about the Madeleine
Laundries and the way women interred in them were treated, so you can bet some are going to get defensive and angry about this subject being brought up.