SpyParty Declassifies an Open Beta

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
SpyParty Declassifies an Open Beta

Grab a drink, act casual, and pray that a sniper doesn't have your head in their crosshairs.

Chris Hecker's highly anticipated SpyParty, a one-on-one game of subtlety and misdirection, cordially invites you to its open beta. There will be free drinks, sophisticated company, and high-tension espionage. If this sounds right up your alley, you can now join the game's already substantial following by enlisting in the paid early-access beta.

Your mission in SpyParty, should you choose to accept it, is to complete a number of objectives while attending a party populated with NPCs. Alternatively, you may be perched in a sniper's nest outside, watching the party unfold through your scope and trying to spot the agent before he completes his mission. Subtlety is key - as a spy, you'll need to blend in with the casual interactions of the other party-goers to avoid tipping your hand to the sniper. It's a high-stakes Turing test, and your skill at charades will determine whether you make a smooth exit or take a bullet to the brainpan before finishing your martini.

If you'd like to participate the beta, you can RSVP over at the official SpyParty website [http://www.spyparty.com/beta/]. A $15 entry fee will get you into the beta, and comes with a free PC copy of the game upon release. Pay $50 or more, and you'll get no special in-game rewards (the creator is adamantly against unbalancing the playing field), but you'll be thanked in the game's credits.

By the way, this news article will self-destruct in five seconds. Good luck, agent.

Source: SpyParty [http://www.spyparty.com/beta/]

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I've ways wanted a game like this! It reminds me of that Dark Brotherhood mission in Oblivion, where you have to kill off the party guests without anyone suspecting, and with everyone trying to figure out who the murderer was. It was wicked fun.

I'm a bit worried that your character movement might give you away though, if you follow a patching that the NPCs can't, or obviously fulfil one of the objectives. After a few playthroughs, it might become too easy to spot the spy.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
This sounds like a fun game to play.
Is it a lot of spies to a room or just one? Can I take out other spies as I complete my objectives? Does the sniper have to continuously move from vantage point to vantage point to keep up with the spies? How freely do NPCs move around?

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
I've been in the beta technically for ages but could never shell out $15 for this game. It's nice to have psychological warfare games but when I could be buying oldie but goodie games like Bioshock, Metro 2033, or Alan Wake instead for a pittance then it doesn't sway me.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Kinda reminds me of the the Wanted mode in Assassin's Creed Multiplayer.
That's what my first thought was as well. Gotta say one of the few things I've liked about the last few AC games was the multiplayer. I get a lot of satisfaction in - as Yahtzee puts it - "out NPC'ing someone", so I gotta say this game sounds pretty interesting to me.

What do you call a simultaneous climax between two female spies? A double O face :p
*insert drum rimshot*

InsaneFool

The Dude Abides
Jan 18, 2010
I first played this game when I was at PAX East a couple years ago and instantly fell in love with it. I shelled out the cash as soon as I could to get into the closed beta, and played a few rounds but not nearly enough to compete with the people that learned all the nuances of the game.

That being said, $15 isn't a lot to ask for a game as original as this. Plus I love the direction the new character art style is going I can't wait until this game is fully done and released.

Hdawger

Jun 8, 2010
I put my name in the hat for the closed beta a couple years ago, and unfortunately, never got picked despite being intensely interested in this concept. Looks like I'll finally get to play though!