Squadron 42 gameplay footage

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016

finally they have showed a footage that i have been waited for. its been too long.

lets hope it will release in 2018. game seriously looking so amazing.

the game has FPS, Stealth and space combat mechanics into one. it sounds too good to be true.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
The controls look like a pain (multiple mouse clicks do to any action and the spaceflight made Freelancer's controls look good), the animations are janky as hell (the putting on the gear looked awful, the talking woman's face didn't even come close to matching her dialogue, and climbing into the ship was nauseating), and it looked relatively generic other than the slightly better than average graphics. Is this really what people have been paying a developer millions of dollars in pre-order pay-to-win microtransactions to make for over 6 years?

B-Cell said:
Umm... Star Citizen still isn't out of Alpha after 6 years. What makes you think they'll hit release in one more? They're making way too much money milking a rabid, oblivious fanbase to actually put the game out.

B-Cell said:
the game has FPS, Stealth and space combat mechanics into one. it sounds too good to be true.
Stealth in an FPS campaign? Sign me up for any COD campaign from 4 onwards. Vehicle sections in an FPS? See 90% of AAA FPS campaigns since the mid 90s (Battlefield 1 even had tanks AND planes, imagine that!).

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Avnger said:
The controls look like a pain (multiple mouse clicks do to any action and the spaceflight made Freelancer's controls look good), the animations are janky as hell (the putting on the gear looked awful, the talking woman's face didn't even come close to matching her dialogue, and climbing into the ship was nauseating), and it looked relatively generic other than the slightly better than average graphics. Is this really what people have been paying a developer millions of dollars in pre-order pay-to-win microtransactions to make for over 6 years?

B-Cell said:
Umm... Star Citizen still isn't out of Alpha after 6 years. What makes you think they'll hit release in one more? They're making way too much money milking a rabid, oblivious fanbase to actually put the game out.

B-Cell said:
Stealth in an FPS campaign? Sign me up for any COD campaign from 4 onwards. Vehicle sections in an FPS? See 90% of AAA FPS campaigns since the mid 90s (Battlefield 1 even had tanks AND planes, imagine that!).
If all this is pre-alpha I can only imagine how it would look once it is 100% finished.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Avnger said:
The controls look like a pain (multiple mouse clicks do to any action and the spaceflight made Freelancer's controls look good)
Avnger said:
and the spaceflight made Freelancer's controls look good)
Avnger said:
made Freelancer's controls look good)
You did Not just debase Freelancer, did you! I can't even believe what I'm reading!
What ..Heresy.. The sheer ..audacity of it!

No, but seriously. I have no problems with Freelancers controls at all?
I always use mouse and keyboard though. So if it's a controller or joystick issue I will have to defer to your experience.
I would actually prefer it if every Freelancer-style game had those controls.
And a chase-cam. Can't play without a chase-cam personally.

Samtemdo8 said:
If all this is pre-alpha I can only imagine how it would look once it is 100% finished.
"once it is 100% finished."
I think you mean "if it ever is" ,)

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Well, the section I randomly jumped too looked like any other bog standard AAA FPS, except the resolutions on the textures are out of whack with some stuff close up rendering low res and other stuff farther away being high res. And either the framerates all over the place and/or the controls are awkward and clunky as they moved or looked around (or tried to grab things popping up on menus, including the weird belt one that was half off the screen).

Didn't get any sort of gameplay beyond walking in the random sample.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
As someone who loved Elite Dangerous and the Mechwarrior games, I have no problem with slow travel through huge spaces towards the objective. It at least builds tension, if not atmosphere.

Having said that those controls look terrible. And I hope those voice actors are the devs and their significant others, 'cause I'd be asking for my money back if those are paid professionals.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
If this game ever comes out, I am gonna mute the music and play this music in the background:

Using music of a dead series for a game that has yet to be born.

Sadly appropriate. :(

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
If this game ever comes out, I am gonna mute the music and play this music in the background:

Using music of a dead series for a game that has yet to be born.

Sadly appropriate. :(
To use a not dead series as an example that is not Star Wars/Star Trek:

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Samtemdo8 said:
Avnger said:

B-Cell said:

B-Cell said:
I mean sure. In perhaps a decade or so, you might even get to an actual beta with the 1.0 release a handful of years after that! God knows that nothing changes over 15 years of development that would cause even more slowdown alongside the ever-expanding feature-creep the project is experiencing.

Vendor-Lazarus said:
Avnger said:
The controls look like a pain (multiple mouse clicks do to any action and the spaceflight made Freelancer's controls look good)
Avnger said:
and the spaceflight made Freelancer's controls look good)
Avnger said:
made Freelancer's controls look good)
You did Not just debase Freelancer, did you! I can't even believe what I'm reading!
What ..Heresy.. The sheer ..audacity of it!

No, but seriously. I have no problems with Freelancers controls at all?
I always use mouse and keyboard though. So if it's a controller or joystick issue I will have to defer to your experience.
I would actually prefer it if every Freelancer-style game had those controls.
And a chase-cam. Can't play without a chase-cam personally.
I played Freelancer (Discovery) for years. I'm not a big fan of chase-the-mouse space controls personally =/

Vendor-Lazarus said:
Samtemdo8 said:
"once it is 100% finished."
I think you mean "if it ever is" ,)
And this. Very much this.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
B-Cell said:

finally they have showed a footage that i have been waited for. its been too long.

Hate to rain on your parade, but if it sounds too good to be true, it's probably because it is too good to be true.

I'll just repeat the same thing that's been said a thousand times already: the game is 6 years into development (the kickstarter was in 2012, and Chris Roberts claimed that dev. had started a year before that during the KS campaign), and $170 million in dev budget, and is still in Alpha.

For contrast, GTA V was over $250 million in (total) budget, and that only took five years from development start to release, with the ports taking another two. Now consider how much larger SC's scope is in contrast, and you'll start to see the issue some people have with this game ever releasing as what was advertised even being plausible.

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
I mean, that's a nice enough vertical slice and all.....but that's all we have after six years? And need I remind people that this kind of trailer can be pretty misleading (we haven't forgotten Aliens: Colonial Marines, have we?)

Roberts has demonstrated a complete inability to finish projects when he's at the lead and without someone breathing down his neck (we haven't forgotten Freelancer, have we?), so the chances of Star Citizen ever getting finished are about, oh, less than 1%.

Besides, the people at CIG are now selling virtual JPEGs of Tanks to defend your virtual plots of land on a virtual moon that does not even exist yet. That just reeks of absolute desperation and money grubbing, which doesn't paing a good picture for development.

And with the Crytek lawsuit looming, I don't think they'll be able to keep going much longer. It's going to crash and burn spectacularly.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
TheFinish said:
And with the Crytek lawsuit looming, I don't think they'll be able to keep going much longer. It's going to crash and burn spectacularly.
Honestly I'm just hoping that people get some amount of their money back when and if the damn thing crashes. I know a couple people online that have admitted to dropping 30k on a fucking ship that hasn't even gotten out of the concept art stage.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Oh dear, they haven't convinced the cash out of you also, have they? As greatly as many people, including myself, would very much love a game that is actually what this claims to eventually be, to be a legit thing that everybody could enjoy...the development and certainly the director are showing consistent worrying signs of bad management at the very least with highly questionable business practices that would turn all but the most committed away. Get out whilst you still can; it's far better to view from a distance with as little investment as possible.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Redryhno said:
TheFinish said:
Honestly I'm just hoping that people get some amount of their money back when and if the damn thing crashes. I know a couple people online that have admitted to dropping 30k on a fucking ship that hasn't even gotten out of the concept art stage.
People who are willing to drop that kind of money on something so stupid deserve to get nothing once it all comes crashing down.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'm torn about Star Citizen. On one hand, I want it to succeed. On the other...well, fires can be very pretty.