Squadron 42 gameplay footage

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
How do you even spend 30K on a game anyway? Like, what could be worth so much in the game that it could ammount to 30K anyway?

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Hawki said:
I'm torn about Star Citizen. On one hand, I want it to succeed. On the other...well, fires can be very pretty.
Im not interested in star citizen itself. it looks like boring MMO space sim.

SQ42 on other hand looks like great story driven space game. and it has more chance to get released than star citizen itself.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
B-Cell said:
Hawki said:
I'm torn about Star Citizen. On one hand, I want it to succeed. On the other...well, fires can be very pretty.

SQ42 on other hand looks like great story driven space game. and it has more chance to get released than star citizen itself.
I'm more interested in SQ42 as well (though I won't be able to play it given the system requirements), but I'm equally dubious of it seeing the light of day at this point as SC proper.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Hawki said:
How do you even spend 30K on a game anyway? Like, what could be worth so much in the game that it could ammount to 30K anyway?
Solid Gold Spaceships fueled by pure, uncut cocaine? Rifles made of pure diamond?

I dunno.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Dalisclock said:
Hawki said:
Solid Gold Spaceships fueled by pure, uncut cocaine? Rifles made of pure diamond?

I dunno.
Well, the game takes place 1000 years into the future, so...maybe?

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Avnger said:
I played Freelancer (Discovery) for years. I'm not a big fan of chase-the-mouse space controls personally =/
The good thing about Freelancer is that you have options.
You can choose first person/cockpit view, third person 360 degree camera or chase-cam.
And in each and every one of those, you can chose to have the ship react directly to your mouse movements or click and drag.

What other kind of controls do you prefer?

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Hawki said:
B-Cell said:
Hawki said:

I'm more interested in SQ42 as well (though I won't be able to play it given the system requirements), but I'm equally dubious of it seeing the light of day at this point as SC proper.
its not that high except rams and rams are cheapest thing ever.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
B-Cell said:
Hawki said:
B-Cell said:
Hawki said:

its not that high except rams and rams are cheapest thing ever.
Price of ram is currently inflated due to a factory in taiwan burning down, so it's not as cheap as it was a year ago.

Torque2100

Nov 20, 2008
Hey, remember when a certain nameless gaming E-Zine published what they thought was a smoking hot scoop on Cloud Imperium Games and Star Citizen? Remember how their "scoop" turned out to be a fake article that quoted anonymous reviews on Glassdoor and claimed to back up anonymous sources with employee documents that don't actually exist? Didn't the author turn out to have personal ties to the developer of a rival game? (Hello conflict of interest!)

I seem to recall this event turned into a massive fiasco that blew up in the editorial board's collective faces, destroyed the site's reputation and delivered the coup de grace to an already struggling platform. Funny how that keeps happening to SC critics while Cloud Imperium keep chugging right along.

/sarcasm

I assume you know of whom I speak. Part of me wonders if the few users still clinging onto this site's rotting carcass are still bitter over the whole episode.

The sheer scale and crusader-like fervor of the hate cult surrounding Cloud Imperium games makes me worry about the mental health of the people involved. Trawling the internet and storming threads to scream at other users for daring to express interest in something you don't like is not normal behavior. I seriously can't even mention the fact that CIG are (finally) making progress after 6 years or "borrow" some of the deckplans for use in a tabletop RPG without someone having a cow.

Part of me wants to see Star Citizen come out in some form just so I can watch these people really lose their minds.

Other than that, I don't have much skin in the game. I do hope SC comes out someday, but I'm prepared for it to fail.

What I truly fear, though is that Star Citizen may be so big that its fate is tied intrinsically to the future of crowdfunding itself. If SC fails, it will bring crowdfunding down with it, or the anti-SC hate cult will turn their attentions to crowdfunding itself. Can you imagine trying to get hype going for a modest indy title when these assholes jump out of the woodwork to hijack your threads with posts comparing your game to Star Citizen and accusing you of being a conman and a thief before your Kickstarter is even open?

Have you been asleep for the last year and a half? We *need* crowdfunding or we face a future where all games are EA.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Torque2100 said:
The sheer scale and crusader-like fervor of the hate cult surrounding Cloud Imperium games makes me worry about the mental health of the people involved. Trawling the internet and storming threads to scream at other users for daring to express interest in something you don't like is not normal behavior. I seriously can't even mention the fact that CIG are (finally) making progress after 6 years or "borrow" some of the deckplans for use in a tabletop RPG without someone having a cow.

Part of me wants to see Star Citizen come out in some form just so I can watch these people really lose their minds.

Other than that, I don't have much skin in the game. I do hope SC comes out someday, but I'm prepared for it to fail.
There's a difference between hoping something will fail and thinking it's promising a lot more then it can ever deliver. I don't particularly care, as I didn't back it. If Squadron 42 or even SC ends up coming out and delivering what they are promising, I will totally spend money on it.

But right now I'm seeing a ton of feature creep(and promises of Procedurally generated worlds not unlike No Mans Sky) and very little actual game to show for the amount of time and resources invested so far. It's hard not to look at that and expecting a major crash and burn at some point.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
As a big fan of the games, I went to see the Wing Commander movie on opening night. (A quick aside about just how different things were back then: the last game in the Wing Commander series, Prophecy, sold so well that EA decided to release the expansion pack for free. EA released an expansion pack for free (well, to be fair, Electronic Arts did; they may have started calling themselves EA (I don't recall when that began), but the transformation was far from complete). No hidden fees, no gimmicks, no catches- well, one sort-of catch; it was released only online, and downloading a file that big (somewhere around 175 megs, if I recall correctly) on a 56k line was absolute murder, especially since this was before widespread download resuming programs.) Now, some people will tell you that the movie was okay; I am not one of them. The movie had the first preview for the Phantom Menace, and I maintain that that was the best part of the movie, and I say that having seen The Phantom Menace. I don't know how you screw up so many things, including (and I didn't see a single critic pick up on this) spelling the names of your own characters wrong. The core problem, as I later gathered, was that Roberts had no experience as a filmmaker, and rapidly got in way over his head.

So: making movies is a lot harder than it looks from the outside. Fair enough. Lesson learned? Well, twelve years later, Roberts comes roaring back, announcing that technology has finally caught up to his vision, and he wants to make a new game, bigger and more ambitious than anything he'd ever done before- possibly bigger and more ambitious than anything anyone had ever done before! So, no. Lesson not learned. Your last game had some major problems, mister Roberts, and I have to imagine that game-making has changed since 2000; game-playing certainly has. So do you want to slide in with a simpler project, maybe get back into the groove and see how the landscape has changed before you promise the moon and stars? I guess not.

MMO's bore the snot out of me. That's fine; I'm not the target market. Even so, I'd love to see Star Citizen come out of the gate a roaring success, silencing its detractors and proving that it was worth the wait- but I don't that's going to happen. I suspect it's going to tank, and take Squadron 42 with it. I suspect it's also going to do serious damage to the perceived legitimacy of crowdfunding, at least for video games, and that frightens me more. With all this proposed feature creep and project bogging down, it's almost like... Oh. Oh no. Does anyone know if Chris Roberts has ever been seen at the same time as Peter Molyneux?

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
B-Cell said:
Hawki said:

This exactly. I did back SC, but more for the Squadron 42 stand-alone game than what will essentially be an MMO in space. I loved the Wing Commander series, and I just want some good starfighter combat like that again. If EA would pull their heads out of their asses and reboot the X-Wing series, that'd be good too.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
COMaestro said:
B-Cell said:
Hawki said:

This exactly. I did back SC, but more for the Squadron 42 stand-alone game than what will essentially be an MMO in space. I loved the Wing Commander series, and I just want some good starfighter combat like that again. If EA would pull their heads out of their asses and reboot the X-Wing series, that'd be good too.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't S42 mainly an FPS?

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I sorta skimmed through that footage. I guess it was ... okay?

The general story content looked okayish, but not tremendously gripping. The space game looked OK but not crazy exciting, though I guess we haven't had one of those games for a long time, so it's welcome. The FPS looked mediocre.

Also, I see a ton of people gawking at the graphics in the comments of that youtube video. But while impressive, they didn't look like anything truly groundbreaking to me in comparison to other games like Metro: Exodus etc.