Square-Enix Announces New Front Mission, Nier

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I almost got excited until I read that they were making a cheap Armoured core clone...

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
-Seraph- said:
cainx10a said:
Where's Front Mission PSP Square Enix? :(
Eh...Mytran Wars might be a decent substitute for the time being I'd say.
True, or for old time sakes, I can always get FM 2 or was that, FM 1, from the PSN. Oh, and PSP T88V3 can finally use homebrew now :)

The Shade of Time

Nov 22, 2008
I say that Square should stay true to there roots, well I mean its all good and well diversifying but not to change completely.

FifteenHours

Apr 8, 2009
I was so damn excited when I saw a new Front Mission in the headline....then I find out it's not a strategy, but a third-person shooter. That sucked...but it's doable. Then I read that Double Helix is making it. Now it's not even worth it.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
Onmi said:
Fire Wada, he is EVERYTHING wrong with Square Enix. It gets to a point that even his own workers hate his guts.
What have heard about Wada that is so bad? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I've played two Front Mission games. One where you have to shoot every arm and leg of your enemies so you can get enough experience to stay alive, and one action game which was fun until you had to waltz around annoyingly labyrinthine installations.

The worst part was always the story though. The "Wars" are always decided by a fleetingly small group while everyone else are incompetent cowards. Also, there's always this incredibly overwrought "War is Hell"-crap going on with the protagonist constantly complaining and whining while gunning down heaps of enemies. I'm not against anti-war messages of course, but it has to be subtle to work. Front Mission is like watching Captain Planet.

Also, only the lives of important people matter. There's almost always a scene where the protagonist spares some enemy commander so he/she joins his side, but he has no problem with killing tons of no-names.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Dectilon said:
I've played two Front Mission games. One where you have to shoot every arm and leg of your enemies so you can get enough experience to stay alive, and one action game which was fun until you had to waltz around annoyingly labyrinthine installations.

The worst part was always the story though. The "Wars" are always decided by a fleetingly small group while everyone else are incompetent cowards. Also, there's always this incredibly overwrought "War is Hell"-crap going on with the protagonist constantly complaining and whining while gunning down heaps of enemies. I'm not against anti-war messages of course, but it has to be subtle to work. Front Mission is like watching Captain Planet.

Also, only the lives of important people matter. There's almost always a scene where the protagonist spares some enemy commander so he/she joins his side, but he has no problem with killing tons of no-names.
Dear god that sounds like Gundam SEED *shudders*

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
vivaldiscool said:
It sounds like it eschews the meticulous strategy and customization of the series for more straightforward third-person shooter gameplay.

I guess since it's not numbered it's okay.

However,

It will probably alienate die-hard fans upset they don't have to keep track of ten different kinds of stats for each individual component of their robot's arms any more.
That kind of thing is getting really annoying, and it's starting to pop up in pretty much every artical you post. It's not that it's actually that important, but I'm under the impression this is at least a semi professional online magazine. And taking cheap shots at every target you can this way seems befitting of an average forum troll. And It's not like the TBS community doesn't get enough flak as is.
Oh I'm only kidding around. I like TBS, in different shapes and sizes (I gave King's Bounty an enthused review some months back). Don't take everything I say so straight-up seriously - usually when I "take cheap shots" it's more a joke on the kind of things "an average forum troll" would say than anything else. I thought that tone came through, but I guess my tongue wasn't far enough in cheek for you. Anyway, I'll lay off TBS. Just for you. Just for you.

Beatrix

Jul 1, 2009
Keane Ng said:
...whose resume includes a number of anime games and the somewhat forgettable Bullet Witch.
I didn't forget Bullet Witch, it was great fun for a budget title.
And Cavia also made the very awesome, if slightly disturbing, Drakengard games.