Square Enix Confirms: No KH3, FF7 Remake This Year

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Square Enix Confirms: No KH3, FF7 Remake This Year

Square Enix has confirmed via an investor document that these games are slated for "2018 and beyond".

Those of you hoping for a surprise release of long awaited Square Enix titles Kingdom Hearts 3 and the Final Fantasy VII remake will have to wait a bit longer. A recent investors document [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?s=37131bc1292e5b9f8037761f32effca9&t=1363485] shared by the company has clearly stated that these two games are slated for "2018 and beyond," meaning there is absolutely no chance of us seeing them this year, and likely no chance of seeing them next year either.

Check out the full list of titles below:

As you can see, all of these titles already have solid release dates, with the exception of Kingdom Hearts 3 and the Final Fantasy VII remake. An unannounced Marvel IP license is also listed on the 2018 and beyond side.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Holy crap Square, what are you doing that takes these games so long?! Rendering every custcene on ENIAC?

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
By the time it's out it'll be an in between port of the PS4 to the PS5 with cross buy. Or simply just skipped to the next generation.

In the meantime they'll release another complete edition of Kingdom Hearts to generate more money.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I've said it before and I'll say it again; the full, complete Final Fantasy VII-R won't be released until 2020. We've been told that FFVII-R is going to be released episodically so I'm sure we'll get the whole thing in time but I don't see that time coming before 2020. Kingdom Hearts 3 will probably be out before then though I can still see it being worked on until 2019.

I don't understand what a lot of those games are doing up on that list though...FFXV, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Mankind Divided World of Final Fantasy...those all launched in 2016, some of them having launched months ago. Rise of the Tomb Raider launched in 2015! The insane conspiracy theorist in me is assuming that those games are going to be rushed onto the Nintendo Switch (honestly kinda surprised World of Final Fantasy wasn't ported there already or at least announced as a port-in-progress during the April Direct).

Voxoid

Nov 28, 2013
Hopefully a longer wait will mean better overall quality. It'd be a real shame if the FF7 remake went the way of most other remakes and just turned out to be a piece of crap.
I'd really rather wait the extra few years for a truly great revamp because it's still one of the most memorable games that I've ever played.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Once again Chrono Trigger fans are left out in the cold. Some day Chrono Break, some day.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
While nowhere near as bad as Valve, I'm pretty sure I'm slipping into the camp of, "Not believing this game is out until I hold a copy in my hands."

Honestly, Square. I'm pretty sure the Remake of FFVII will be akin to printing money. While I don't want you to rush it, some freaking updates would be much appreciated. Show us that you guys are actually working on the game, and not still trying to figure out how to make that one trailer look extra sparkly and pointy.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I've been waiting for Kingdom Hearts 3 for as long as I've been waiting for a Half-Life 3 (both KH2 and H2 Ep 2 came out in 2007).
Just to put things in perspective,

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Johnny Novgorod said:
I've been waiting for Kingdom Hearts 3 for as long as I've been waiting for a Half-Life 3 (both KH2 and H2 Ep 2 came out in 2007).
Just to put things in perspective,
KHII was 06, but that only enhances the point. Final Mix was 07.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Uhhh.... I don't wish to be so arrogant as to claim that I know more than the author of this news item, but from what I can see this is fake news:

Take a look at the titles released in FY2017 according to the picture:
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Final Fantasy XV
World Of Final Fantasy
Rise of the Tomb Raider

All of which were released last year. In other words, FY2017 involves 2016, meaning that FY2018 should involve 2017, and thus nothing has changed from what has previously been established.

In fact, looking at the titles in the FY2018 category, one game has a written specific date of release: 13th of July this year. Directly below it is written "To be released in 2017" and, look and behold; Final Fantasy VII remake is there together with Kingdom Hearts 3.

I am uncertain of how they count Fiscal Years at SE, but it is a confusing way to write so I understand if the author of this news item simply made a mistake.

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
Looking through all the slides atm.

According to slide 1 the intended audience is U.K. investors. This is odd though, since - correct me if I'm wrong - the U.K. 2017/18 Fiscal Year only started this month.
Japan's FY2017 also started this month. America's FY2017 began in October however, so technically their FY2018 would include the last 3 months of this calendar year.

Since the dates on the presentation literally make no sense unless we use the U.S. Fiscal Year, let's do that.... except even then there's discrepancies: Rise of the Tomb Raider was released in FY2016 on every platform bar the PS4, and Mankind Divided was released in FY2016 everywhere except for Japan, where, amusingly, it launched on March 23rd - right in the middle of the 2017 U.S. Fiscal Year, but on the tail end of the 2016 Japanese Fiscal Year.

They're also showing ridiculously high Q3 FY2017 sales despite only being a month into Q3 FY2017. The document is also dated Feb 2017, which means Q3 FY2017 hadn't even started yet.

They've also included titles being released in FY2017 under the "FY2018 and beyond" banner.

What the fuck does FY2018/3 mean? How does Stormblood coming out in FY2017 count?

... I still can't make any sense of the last slide.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Hey, I can wait. There's been so much good stuff in 2017, I've barely scratched the surface. I'll be busy with Persona 5, Nier Automata and the Kingdom Hearts Collections for quite some time anyway, so I'm OK. Well, at least as long as my hope for an english release of Dragon Quest XI isn't killed.

This really sucks for fans of Kingdom Hearts who've been waiting for the sequel for ages now, though.

vasudean

May 30, 2008
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Considering how long FFXV took, I am not surprised.
Well to put it bluntly, FFXV didn't get back on track until Squeenix gave Tetsuya Nomura the boot from the project and gave it to Hajime Tabata in 2013, so I would say blame the development hell Kingdom Hearts 3 and FFVII remake have been in for that.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Bedinsis said:
Uhhh.... I don't wish to be so arrogant as to claim that I know more than the author of this news item, but from what I can see this is fake news:

Take a look at the titles released in FY2017 according to the picture:
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Final Fantasy XV
World Of Final Fantasy
Rise of the Tomb Raider

All of which were released last year. In other words, FY2017 involves 2016, meaning that FY2018 should involve 2017, and thus nothing has changed from what has previously been established.

In fact, looking at the titles in the FY2018 category, one game has a written specific date of release: 13th of July this year. Directly below it is written "To be released in 2017" and, look and behold; Final Fantasy VII remake is there together with Kingdom Hearts 3.

I am uncertain of how they count Fiscal Years at SE, but it is a confusing way to write so I understand if the author of this news item simply made a mistake.
I believe fiscal years end in March/April in Japan. Which explains why we've been getting so many good games from Japan the last couple of months.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Yeah well, we're not gonna see KH3 until we get 2.9 then 2.9.1 to 2.9.5 and various complete editions and HD remasters. It wouldn't suprise me if 3 isn't even in preproduction yet