Square Enix Defends its Mobile Game Pricing

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Squeenix, the EA of the eastern world. I avoid their games as much as humanly possible.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
yeah it's kinda hard justifying that with the existence of pc emulators that let you play it for free. for better or worse that is their competition with a game that is that old. i always took issue with this idea that you can re-sell a game made 10-15 years ago and you have to pay 12-15$ for the privilege of playing it on current consoles and devices. it's a nostalgia grab, I own almost all the old final fantasy games in one form or another and maybe it's kinda silly to say why should i rebuy when my old snes is still in a box somewhere but really. i'd be happier if they were like 5$ i mean it's basically free money to them.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I don't think the ports are over priced myself. The games have been updated and function very well on the mobile platform (I own 1-3 and FFT). The touch controls get a bit tricky for FFT but the localization for it blew the original away. I don't mind the premium price because I know I"m going to get a game that is quality and fun. I've seen some really decent 2-5 dollar games and plenty of awful ones too, so I'd rather drop 16 bucks buying a game I know will be fun. This only applies to the ports of course, with the jaw-dropping cash grab that is All the Bravest, I don't trust Sqeenix's non-ports on IOS.

Comocat

May 24, 2012
I'd love to get some of these games for my iPad, but I really only want to play them for nostalgia. $20 bucks for a device I primarily use on the toilet for a game that really is only good rose-tinted glasses is asking a bit much. That being said the company is free to charge whatever they want, because I know several FF fans who gobble up anything the company spits out. I suppose the question is do they expect to sell 5 copies at $5 or 1 copy at $20?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
BiH-Kira said:
You can't charge the same price for a big and rewarding title and for a cheap 1 minute game like Angry Birds. Smartphone user will never accept a $15 price point.
Handheld user accept a $20-40 price point because they know they get a game worth it. So as long as there are gamer, there will exist handhelds
That's why Angry Birds ports are like 30 bucks, right?

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
I'm really tired of companies stating that because someone bought something, they are content with it. THAT IS NOT WHAT CONTENT MEANS! Honestly, someone cannot be discontent with a product unless they have first bought it and are then able to ascertain its quality and judge whether or not they are "content" with the experience.

Seriously, they took 8 bit graphics and made 16 bit versions(in many cases the games had already been given 16 bit graphics in other re-releases and on those they just did a touch up), not that hard and often times unwanted since people that are buying these games want them because of nostalgia. That minor and questionable effort makes them worth such a ridiculous amount?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
"Content" With paying the premium price, it's more like "puts up with" the prices.
It's really lame they have to come out and say "Hey you guys are content with it" when there's seems to be a large enough outcry for them to have to come out and discuss this.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
I did get FF3 from the App Store. I didn't mind the price simply because it was a full on game, not the usual cow clicker clone or annoying builder locked off behind timers or paywalls.

It is the first and last game I'll buy for that price on iOS though, not because of the price but because I found out I have no intention of sitting down and using it for long enough periods to justify full length game purchases.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
SE I have all of your mobile games yet I gave you 0 dollars for it due to the outrageous prices... guess I am not so content with the prices. No loss for me though only for them. :)

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Clearly people are buying it, or Square-Enix would lower the price. Not me, though. Not when Chrono Trigger's always-on DRM doesn't even work with my device (even though the Galaxy S III is one of the best selling Android devices ever and really should've been a priority for them), not when FFIV is based on the chunky and poorly-acted DS version instead of the beautiful PSP version, not when FFV has lifeless, oversmoothed sprites that don't even look as good as the blocky pixels from the original.

To be fair, Final Fantasy Dimensions is something I've actually considered paying full price for. It's a brand new game that I haven't already bought repeatedly, its art is mediocre but at least not at the expense of better classic art, its DRM is simply a one-time activation, and reviews seem to be generally positive. I certainly won't be buying any other recent mobile Square-Enix games, though.

P.S. Thanks

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Quality product... coming from the developer of All the Bravest... Hahahahaha, good one- oh wait, this is serious? *snerk* HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No seriously. Squeenix can p**s right off.

Oh, and if you make FFXII HD a mobile release, I'm buying a ticket to Japan and bringing my nut-kicking boots.

Depulcator

Mar 5, 2012
When they released All The Bravest, any shed of good will I had for them is gone. Judging by the article it appears it's not gonna come back any time soon. Just as the customers are "content" with the prices I'm "content" to find someone else to take my money.