Square Enix Demaking Popular Soundtracks With 8 Bits

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Square Enix Demaking Popular Soundtracks With 8 Bits

Square Enix is putting together an old-school chiptune album featuring music from its most popular RPGs.

Square Enix (once just Square) has always been known for its amazing game soundtracks. While the company has put together many compilations of this music using full orchestras and other methods, the latest Square Enix remix album uses the musical techniques of the NES days.

Square Enix's SQ Chips will remix songs from games such as Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy X, Secret of Mana, and Chrono Trigger in an old-school chiptune format. For those unaware, that means they'll sound like they were originally composed for the NES or the Game Boy.

The SQ Chips SQ series [http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/sq/sqchips/], which remix Square Enix songs in various ways.

Other SQ albums include Chill SQ, Love SQ, and More SQ, and they're all available on iTunes. Expect SQ Chips to be available on the service as well.

It'll be interesting to see how songs from retro Square games are made to sound even more retro. SQ Chips will be released on September 7, 2011.

Source: GamePro [http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/sq/sqchips/]

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
If they sound like Commodore 64 chiptunes and not NES chiptunes, then I'm happy with it.

Makon

Jul 9, 2008
I've got an idea. How about they actually start releasing some of the ACTUAL soundtracks in the US? Seriously, I've wanted to grab a copy of the FFX soundtrack and such for quite some time...

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
This Is something I love hearing about& always goes down well with the fans but my only point I would like to bring up is does half the songs on the album really need to be from the FF series?

-M

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I prefer the work of The Black Mages, thank you. They turn Final Fantasy themes into brilliant rocking tunes.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Squeenix Japan might as well concentrate on this and remaking their old hits for new systems (new versions of FF1-5 for NGP, anyone?) since they've completely forgotten how to make good games.

(Before anyone bitches, Level 5 is not part of Squeenix Japan)

VGC USpartan VS

Feb 14, 2011
I looked at the webpage for this thing for one second and decided that I must never visit it again.

Good idea though.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Aah. Now I'm stuck trying to figure out what the demo song on their website is...

Sounds... Familiar, but I can't quite place it. I guess I'll have to translate the japanese description of it then. XD

Hmm... shi/su/ko ...

ko - child

go - ?? use in compound words afternoon. a.m., midnight suggests something to do with time.

sen - line

???

ri

-> ko go sen no ?? ri

This is listed as being from a game called:

??? - Another symbol I can't find, but it is composed of signs for ear and mouth suggesting something to do with language or communication.

ken/tsurugi - ken : sword.

den/tsuta(eru) -
-> densetsu - legend

So we get

ko go sen no ?? ri (from) ?? ken den setsu 2

Since I recognise the title of the game, and the missing bit is:

sai,

That leads to sai ken den setsu 2

Or, as it's known in English, Secret of Mana. (Strictly speaking seiken densetsu 2 is Secret of Mana 1 as far as the west is concerned.)

Which explains why it sounds so familiar. XD

The japanese translates to (something) legend. Since mana isn't exactly a mainstream word, it's perhaps unsurprising my dictionary can't help me translate it all that easily.

As for the song title...

Anyone got any ideas what that song is called in English? I can't make much out of the fragments I could translate.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Simple Bluff said:
Youtubers had this idea ages ago :p
I love good chiptune, but most Youtube 8-bit versions are just one of those two things.

I am just worried that this is going to be too much, "Lol, its like the real song, but 8-bit!" instead of giving the genre the respect it deserves.

I mean, the NES was capable of so much more than what it ever was used for:

Nobuo Uematsu did great with composing melodies 'n harmonies, but the implementation of them was lackluster compared to the hardware's potential.

I'm actually a bit happy to see the original Final Fantasy on that list for this very reason; unless they were going to do something new and great with those old tunes, they wouldn't have it there, right?

...Right?

I really hope they don't just slap the original tracks on there.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
oldtaku said:
Squeenix Japan might as well concentrate on this and remaking their old hits for new systems (new versions of FF1-5 for NGP, anyone?) since they've completely forgotten how to make good games.

(Before anyone bitches, Level 5 is not part of Squeenix Japan)
I think you mean Bioware, since Crisis Core exists.