Square Enix: Final Fantasy VI Mobile Port "Like a Remake"

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Square Enix: Final Fantasy VI Mobile Port "Like a Remake"

Square Enix has revealed plans to create a new version of Final Fantasy VI for iOS and Android featuring new visuals and adjusted gameplay.

Having just spent some effort <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128560-Square-Enix-Defends-its-Mobile-Game-Pricing>justifying the high price point of its mobile titles, Square Enix has confirmed that its library will soon be playing host to a new and significant edition: Final Fantasy VI. Originally released as Final Fantasy III in the United States, VI debouted on the SNES and Super Famicom in 1994. The years since have seen it ported to multiple platforms including the PlayStation and Game Boy Advance. According to Square Enix's Takashi Tokita however, the new iOS/Android version will be more than a simple port.

"It is basically like a remake of the original VI," he said, pointing to previous mobile ports as an example of what fans can expect. "The battle systems have been altered for the other [mobile remakes] for Final Fantasy and VI will be the same." These changes will include new visuals, akin to the mobile version of Final Fantasy V, and gameplay that's been adjusted to reduce the strain of level grinding. "On the mobile devices the battle systems have been adjusted so you don't have to fight as much and can enjoy the game for what it is."

Fans eager to try the new version of Final Fantasy VI won't be getting it right away, however. VI is only the latest announced entry in Square Enix's ongoing series of Legacy mobile ports. Currently, the company's is focused on completing and releasing a 3D version of Final Fantasy IV: The After Years. VI will be coming out after that. Once VI is finished it then plans to take a look at the success Legacy releases and weigh whether or not it wants to continue with the remainder of the Final Fantasy series. "If this Legacy project works out well, we would like to one day be able to work with [Final Fantasy VII]," said Tokita.

Source: <a href=http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-vi-is-coming-to-ios-and-android-vii-coul-1443087791>Kotaku

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Less grinding? neat! Not too stoked for the new visuals though, personally i loved how it looked and i kinda hate the style in the remake of V, it's really ugly and not much of an improvement.

*Might be wrong about the visuals, i thought the remakes were those hideous 3D editions, but doesn't seem to be that bad.

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
You're messing with perfection, SquareEnix. Tread carefully, lest you destroy the handful of Final Fantasies that made your house.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I hope they decide to completely rewrite Kefka to be more than a clumsy Joker imitation. As it stands, all of his writing is little more than a cheap gimmick.

P.S. Thanks

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Mirrorknight said:
You're messing with perfection, SquareEnix. Tread carefully, lest you destroy the handful of Final Fantasies that made your house.
What he said. This "remake" has me nervous.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
I've always wanted a remake of VI as it's my favourite and the game I hold dearest in my heart.

But this just turned my stomach and put a sour taste in my mouth.

If they're going to remake the game so many people whole up as the epitome of Final Fantasy, it should be a labour of love, they should be putting everything they have into it.

Not a fucking iOS game.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
As soon as I read "mobile" port I knew I could ignore this. When it makes its way to 3DS or PSN I may care.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Utterly disgusted..... that's the only words I have that can express my reaction to this.

It isn't a playstation one game like FF7 that looks terrible by todays standards because 3D modeling has come a long way since then. It's a 16 bit game, and it STILL LOOKS GOOD, because the styles isn't something technology has much of an effect on. Honestly, there are a lot of SNES games that I can think of that still look amazing and a good chunk of them I haven't personally played so I don't think nostalgia plays into my judgement.

Watch yourself SE..... this is incredibly shaky ground you're treading, especially considering how you have apparently been alienating your fans recently(they personally lost me after FF12 but I don't wish them harm like EA, they just stopped selling what I wanted).

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Less grinding in FFVI? What grinding?

By that point in time JRPG's were well into scaling back the grind factor necessary, balancing it so you could basically play straight through the game without ever having to stop and grind it out for levels/gold. FFVI was no exception, really the only 'grinding' people did was to max out levels in the dinosaur forest.

Unless they're just talking about lowering the random encounter rate and increasing exp/gold to accommodate, but again by that point in time FFVI wasn't bad for this.

Only saving grace for Square in this case is that this is a mobile version, and I guess people who play games on their phone are usually looking for a quicker experience. If they did this for a console or handheld remake though then the gloves are off.

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
Seeing as they've already kinda remade Final Fantasy VI two times before, I have faith that they'll be able to safely pull of a third remake without messing anything up that bad.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is my favorite FF title of all time, DON'T FUCK THIS UP! Sorry... I lost my head a little bit. That game is perfect, to be honest. Best characters (Yes, way better than that emo tool, Cloud), best music, best story....

It's not their first remake of this game though. And less grind would be nice.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Better you don't screw this up like you did with Chrono Trigger for Android (and iOS if what I read is correct). We want a proper port, not a fucking bad emulation.

Aside from that, take the time you need, I also want to see VII and IX for Android :)

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
"If this Legacy project works out well, we would like to one day be able to work with [Final Fantasy VII]," said Tokita.
That makes it sound like they are holding the game to ransom. 'Buy our overpriced mobile ports or else Cloud gets it!'.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
RandV80 said:
Less grinding in FFVI? What grinding?
Really though. FFVI is already one of the easiest games in the series.

Bad idea to update the graphics as well if they go the route of the mobile version of FFV. Those graphics are awful and have none of the charm of the originals.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Ooh, ooh, does it also have micro-transactions?

Something like paying a couple bucks and you gain a level or insta-learn an ability? Pay a lot of bucks and all your characters become level 9.999 with the best gear and all abilities learned?

C'mon Squenix, I know you want to. I'll be disappointed if you don't.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
the battle systems have been adjusted so you don't have to fight as much and can enjoy the game for what it is.
I didn't know that it was a game about walking around and opening chests.

Black Phoenix

Iridescence
Sep 19, 2010
By updated graphics, does it mean like what happened with the PSN versions of I, II and IV? If so, count me interested :) Of course, they'd also have to release it on the PSN as well for that, since I have no Apple or Android device capable of running it... :(

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
um ... no ... there's not enough 'do not want' for this. if your gonna remake it squar, do it fucking right and put it on a real gaming platform, not one with games as an after thought.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
fluxy100 said:
Seeing as they've already kinda remade Final Fantasy VI two times before, I have faith that they'll be able to safely pull of a third remake without messing anything up that bad.
Adding cutscenes and an extra dungeon and some menu extras isn't a remake.

fwiffo

Sep 12, 2011
I never thought I'd see the day where I didn't jump with glee at the prospect of an updated FF6. Square has finally broken me. Its impossible for me to get excited for anything they do these days.

:(